Old January 3rd 11, 03:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default On Flexweave...?

On 01/04/2011 02:27 AM, D Peter Maus wrote:
On 1/3/11 09:31 , bpnjensen wrote:
Aiming to raise a new wire antenna here the next couple of weeks, and
I'd like to get some Flexweave for the run, probably 14 gauge will be
adequate for my purpose. I'd like to get it coated with either PVC or
the shrinktube material.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these coverings? Can
anyone say whether the material retains its flexibility, or if the
wire is stiffened by the covering? I'd surely like the flexibility to
remain, if at all possible.

Thanks,
Bruce

Anything you put over the wire will affect it's flexibility. And, the
larger the diameter the wire, the worse this effect will be pursuant to
the tensile properties of the covering material, and the coefficient of
friction at the interface with wires of the Flexweave. Shrink is also
less flexible, in itself, and is quite snug when finished, so
flexibility can be quite compromised.

This is why shrink is used as strain relief at connectors.

There are materials that may be applied in liquid form that dry to form
a very nice seal of flexible material over the Flexweave, but these,
too, will affect flexibility of the finished antenna wire. Though,
generally, not as much as hot or cold shrink.

The question is whether or not these effects will be sufficient to make
the wire difficult to handle.

Realistically...likely not. You won't be tying bow ties with it, and, in
fact, the covering will add additional support and strain relief to the
flexweave in heavy weather, but there will a reduction in overall
flexibilty.

I use chandelier wire from Home Depot (loose braided drawn copper, very
cheap). When I lived in more hostile climes I used stainless steel 25g
solid wire. Indestructible.

Old January 3rd 11, 06:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 01/04/2011 05:50 AM, bpnjensen wrote:

Thank you Gentlemen - I don't live in a difficult climate (water
scarcely freezes here, we never get snow and the highest annual wind
gust is typically about 40 mph, not a big deal), but my main concern
is that I'd like to avoid (as long as possible) wear on the copper
conductor as a result of the thing being strung in some trees (I have
literally no other place to put it). I thought the coating might help
reduce abrasion. Maybe it's not a problem. For that matter, I might
just as well use a 12/14-gauge braided zip cord or hookup wire.

You could "prototype" it in scrap wire, decide it works great and be
done with it.

I have a 70 X 100 lot. I gotta go straight up. I do have a 50' random
wire and an MLB I use for the SW2. My ham radios are verticals. I'm
going to play with big horizontal loops next.