Old January 19th 11, 12:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Has anyone?

Has anyone ever hooked up a railway track to the antenna input?

Regards,
JS
Old January 19th 11, 01:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 1/18/2011 4:21 PM, Bob Dobbs wrote:
John Smith wrote:
Has anyone ever hooked up a railway track to the antenna input?

Regards,
JS

Once alligator clipped the guard rail on the Sunrise Hiway (Mt Laguna)
to a Sony 2010, got lots of HF noise, great 160m and AMBCB signals.

Yeah, I was thinking of the lowfer bands!

Was just playing a little "mind game", with the question, what metal
objects haven't I tried as an antenna ... railroad tracks came to mind.

Regards,
JS

Old January 19th 11, 02:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 1/18/2011 5:32 PM, Bob Dobbs wrote:

I think we might have tried for some NDBs
(were into chasing them back then)
but don't recall any rising above the whirring noise.
That was back when the 'L' beacon (302kHz)
was still morse code, now it's a DGPS reference.

Ever heard a LDE?

They amaze me, what is happening to cause that very strange phenomenon?

Regards,
JS
Old January 19th 11, 02:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 1/18/2011 5:36 PM, John Smith wrote:
On 1/18/2011 5:32 PM, Bob Dobbs wrote:

I think we might have tried for some NDBs
(were into chasing them back then)
but don't recall any rising above the whirring noise.
That was back when the 'L' beacon (302kHz)
was still morse code, now it's a DGPS reference.

Ever heard a LDE?

They amaze me, what is happening to cause that very strange phenomenon?

Regards,
JS

Sorry, LDE = Long Delay Echo ...

Regards,
JS

Old January 19th 11, 02:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 1/18/2011 5:45 PM, Bob Dobbs wrote:
John Smith wrote:
On 1/18/2011 5:32 PM, Bob Dobbs wrote:

I think we might have tried for some NDBs
(were into chasing them back then)
but don't recall any rising above the whirring noise.
That was back when the 'L' beacon (302kHz)
was still morse code, now it's a DGPS reference.

Ever heard a LDE?

They amaze me, what is happening to cause that very strange phenomenon?

Regards,
JS

I don't think so, but have heard the 'flanging' type sound
when signals from long and short path mix on fifteen meters.

Yes, when the signal arriving at the antenna has chosen two separate
paths to reach that antenna ... very recogniseable audio phenomenon ...

But, LDEs, when there are seconds of delay, sometimes MANY seconds, and
which does not relate to them reflecting off the time it would take them
to reflect off any known astrological bodies ... spooky! When you hear
your own transmissions repeated to you, seconds later, if on SSB as a
side signal to the other party ... AMAZING!

Almost an argument for them reflecting off some alien spacecraft! ROFLOL

Regards,
JS

Old January 19th 11, 03:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 1/18/2011 5:51 PM, John Smith wrote:

Almost an argument for them reflecting off some alien spacecraft! ROFLOL

Regards,
JS

Since you seem to have some background, let me pose a question to you,
in my "crass manner."

Have you noticed that the nitwits here don't realize a proper antenna,
with good matching, feed, height, length, etc. will make a poor receiver
out preform a VERY high priced receiver with a poor antenna?

And, don't you think someone should begin a thread on that and suffer
the arrows? ROFLOL

Regards,
JS
Old January 19th 11, 03:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 1/18/2011 6:03 PM, John Smith wrote:
On 1/18/2011 5:51 PM, John Smith wrote:

Almost an argument for them reflecting off some alien spacecraft! ROFLOL

Regards,
JS

Since you seem to have some background, let me pose a question to you,
in my "crass manner."

Have you noticed that the nitwits here don't realize a proper antenna,
with good matching, feed, height, length, etc. will make a poor receiver
out preform a VERY high priced receiver with a poor antenna?

And, don't you think someone should begin a thread on that and suffer
the arrows? ROFLOL

Regards,
JS

Would it have been better if I would have said with a quality receiver,
and a PROPER ANTENNA system, you can detect rf of a cricket fart, from
the USA and which is generated in Australia? ROFLOL

Regards,
JS
Old January 19th 11, 04:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 1/18/2011 8:36 PM, John Smith wrote:
On 1/18/2011 5:32 PM, Bob Dobbs wrote:

I think we might have tried for some NDBs
(were into chasing them back then)
but don't recall any rising above the whirring noise.
That was back when the 'L' beacon (302kHz)
was still morse code, now it's a DGPS reference.

Ever heard a LDE?

They amaze me, what is happening to cause that very strange phenomenon?

Regards,
JS

Probably a signal that gets trapped for a complete circuit of the
globe (or two) before being heard again, with unusually low losses.
Happened to me once, back in 1994, on 75 meters, an hour or so
before sunset. It was definitely spooky. Heard my own voice delayed
perhaps a tenth or two tenths of a second -- enough to hear the last
syllable or two.

Just the other night, I heard another amateur on 75 experiencing the
same thing, or so he said -- I couldn't hear it at all.

73,

Kevin, WB4AIO.
--
http://nationalvanguard.org/
http://kevinalfredstrom.com/
Old January 19th 11, 04:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

What are you going to tell the Railroad cops if they trace that wire to
you?
cuhulin

Old January 19th 11, 06:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 1/18/2011 7:06 PM, Kevin Alfred Strom wrote:

Probably a signal that gets trapped for a complete circuit of the globe
(or two) before being heard again, with unusually low losses. Happened
to me once, back in 1994, on 75 meters, an hour or so before sunset. It
was definitely spooky. Heard my own voice delayed perhaps a tenth or two
tenths of a second -- enough to hear the last syllable or two.

Just the other night, I heard another amateur on 75 experiencing the
same thing, or so he said -- I couldn't hear it at all.

73,

Kevin, WB4AIO.

I had experienced LDE lasting 3 - 4 seconds ... spooky. A while back,
Art Bell had put up a similar recording, seconds of LDE. It was the
first time I had heard it named.

SPOOKY!

Regards,
JS