Old January 24th 11, 12:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.swap

Default FS: Rare Sanyo RP-8880 Portable SW Receiver

Here is actual pic of receiver:

http://www.eham.net/data/classifieds/images/294940.jpg

I will accept $100 including shipping in US for this radio.
Old January 24th 11, 10:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.swap

On Jan 23, 7:28*pm, LukeP wrote:

Here is actual pic of receiver:

http://www.eham.net/data/classifieds/images/294940.jpg

I will accept $100 including shipping in US for this radio.

Now that's one impressive looking radio!

Old January 24th 11, 10:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I saw this full page ad in February 2011 Popular Science magazine.You
might want to check it out.
http://www.homepatrol.com
Uniden.
cuhulin

Old January 25th 11, 06:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 24, 5:56*pm, wrote:

I saw this full page ad in February 2011 Popular Science magazine.You
might want to check it out.
http://www.homepatrol.com
Uniden.
cuhulin

I have one. I really like it.
Old January 25th 11, 06:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 24, 11:33*am, wrote:
I have a Sanyo model M2580K AM/FM/Shortwave portable/toteable Radio.I
bought it at Goodwill about ten something years ago.It wouldn't say
anything then, it won't say anything now.(that's why it was at Goodwill)
It needs fixin and I don't know how to fix it.I haven't found any
pictures on the net yet of what it looks like.There is a little plastic
pencil holder that somebody had stuck on the front of the radio.
cuhulin

If I'm not mistaken, Sanyo and some other well known brands had
massive defects with the first RF stage transistors (poor Hfe) . How
old ist that Sanyo M2580K ?

Old January 25th 11, 06:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.swap

On Jan 24, 5:51*pm, DEFCON 88 wrote:
On Jan 23, 7:28*pm, LukeP wrote:

Here is actual pic of receiver:

http://www.eham.net/data/classifieds/images/294940.jpg

I will accept $100 including shipping in US for this radio.

Now that's one impressive looking radio!

Key word is 'impressive' . From what I gather (it has been almost 30
years since) it has two IF bandwiths . Not heavy at all, despite it's
size (very big) . As far as I know, this was their flagship portable
in the early 80's !
Old January 26th 11, 09:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.swap

On Jan 23, 7:28*pm, LukeP wrote:

Here is actual pic of receiver:

http://www.eham.net/data/classifieds/images/294940.jpg

I will accept $100 including shipping in US for this radio.

Now that's one impressive looking radio!

Key word is 'impressive' . From what I gather (it has been almost 30
years since) it has two IF bandwiths . Not heavy at all, despite it's
size (very big) . As far as I know, this was their flagship portable
in the early 80's !

The 8880 was only produced in 1978, though it was being sold new for
several years after that. Think of an RF-2200 on steroids, using the
same crystal calibration marker that made frequency measurement
fairly accurate on the RF-2200. Same rotatable MW antenna, only
bigger on the 8880. The 8880's "Achille's heel" was an easily-
blown FET and that wasn't a problem with the cheaper, and easier
to service, Panasonic RF-2200s and Sony 5900Ws.

Old February 22nd 11, 01:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.swap

On Feb 21, 3:33*pm, Dana wrote:
I am thinking of buying that radio. I have an rf-2200. Wonder if it picks
up any better? I know I am replying to an old post.

On Jan 23, 7:28*pm, LukeP wrote:

Here is actual pic of receiver:

http://www.eham.net/data/classifieds/images/294940.jpg

I will accept $100 including shipping in US for this radio.

Now that's one impressive looking radio!

Key word is 'impressive' . From what I gather (it has been almost 30
years since) it has two IF bandwiths . Not heavy at all, despite it's
size (very big) . As far as I know, this was their flagship portable
in the early 80's !

The 8880 was only produced in 1978, though it was being sold new for
several years after that. Think of an RF-2200 on steroids, using the
same crystal calibration marker that made frequency measurement
fairly accurate on the RF-2200. Same rotatable MW antenna, only
bigger on the 8880. The 8880's "Achille's heel" was an easily-
blown FET and that wasn't a problem with the cheaper, and easier
to service, Panasonic RF-2200s and Sony 5900Ws.- Hide quoted text -

It was huge, more comparable in size to the Grundig's Satellit 3000
line . At that time Sanyo was the 3rd largest *in popularity Japanese
brand ...- Hide quoted text -

A lot of folks report getting an 8880 with a blown FET. Result:
Reduced
sensitivity. Otherwise it's pretty equivalent to an RF2200. Both are
outstanding for MW DX.

Mike