Old January 27th 11, 03:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Homebrewing is fun!

The tube transmitter uses two 117N7 tubes. It's crystal controlled so I spend most of my time calling CQ rather than "hunting and pouncing". I'm meaning to order a couple of additional crystals sooner or later. Right now I'm actually using a 3525 khz crystal with it in order to get on 40 meters. If I get an actual 40m crystal I'll get significantly more power out of the rig. It does a surprisingly good job and I've already made a lot of contacts with it.

I have used a couple of different antennas with the rig. One is a center-loaded vertical behind the house. Most of the time, though, I use 20 ft or so of wire to fashion a loop element which I then tune with my MFJ-936B loop tuner. I've had some good times operating this way and I love the loop tuner as it's easily moved from one location to another. I also like loops.

I'm really looking forward to finishing the Ten Tec kit, since it's got a VFO circuit. I thought long and hard about which kit I wanted to build and the Ten Tec ones really appeal to me. For one thing, although they're small, they're not so small that I feel I need a microscope to work on them, and there's enough room inside the chassis to make modifications down the road and add some "extras". I'm definitely going to want to install an internal keyer of some kind. I also have a "Freq mite" here that I'm not using, so I might install that as well. It could be pretty "tricked out" before I'm through.

Old January 27th 11, 05:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 01/27/2011 06:35 AM, Steve wrote:
The tube transmitter uses two 117N7 tubes. It's crystal controlled

Old TVs have 40 meter crystals.
Old January 27th 11, 11:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 1/27/2011 11:17 AM, dave wrote:

Old TVs have 40 meter crystals.

Huh? Possibly a typo?

The -fundamental- frequency TV color burst crystals is 3.579545 MHz,
*80* meters.

Old January 31st 11, 02:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 01/27/2011 02:57 PM, Joe from Kokomo wrote:

Huh? Possibly a typo?

The -fundamental- frequency TV color burst crystals is 3.579545
MHz, *80* meters.

On 1/28/2011 1:01 PM, dave wrote:

That's what I meant. Not thinking clearly. Got the real flu. Very
feverish yesterday. Yes. 80 the cloudheater band

Well, don't be too harsh about 80. I worked an Indonesian on 80 CW one
morning and when I got his QSL, I was shocked (shocked, I say) to see
that he said he was running 10 watts!

Old January 31st 11, 03:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 1/28/2011 1:01 PM, dave wrote:

That's what I meant. Not thinking clearly. Got the real flu. Very
feverish yesterday. Yes. 80 the cloudheater band

Well, don't be too harsh about 80. I worked an Indonesian on 80 CW one
morning and when I got his QSL, I was shocked (shocked, I say) to see
that he said he was running 10 watts!

People have good results with screwdrivers, I may build one for the roof...

Old February 1st 11, 07:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Where did you get that beer?

I made it MYself !
Old February 1st 11, 08:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 1, 1:07*am, AC Ratone wrote:
Where did *you get that beer?

I made it MYself !

Wasn't ancient Egypt the place where beer originated ?
Old February 1st 11, 12:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jan 31, 11:13*pm, wrote:
On Feb 1, 1:07*am, AC Ratone wrote:

Where did *you get that beer?

I made it MYself !

- Wasn't ancient Egypt the place where beer originated ?

Either There... Or Was It Ancient Babylon . . .

Man discovered a 'brew' formed naturally by
happenstance in nature.

Man learned how to create the 'brew' artificially.

Man call the 'Brew' "Beer"

Men gathered where they could find "The Brew" [Beer].

Where ever Men 'gathered' for "The Brew" [Beer] :
Civilizations formed.

and... the rest they say is 'history' ) ~ RHF

Homebrewing is fun! Steve Shortwave 0 January 26th 11 11:36 PM
BPL WILL KILL HF HOMEBREWING IN TWO YEARS!!! The Eternal Squire Homebrew 6 February 20th 04 01:11 AM
BPL WILL KILL HF HOMEBREWING IN TWO YEARS!!! The Eternal Squire Homebrew 0 February 14th 04 04:20 AM
Has homebrewing led you to a career? Jason Hsu Homebrew 16 August 2nd 03 01:47 PM
Has homebrewing led you to a career? Jason Hsu Homebrew 0 July 31st 03 09:19 PM