Old February 6th 11, 10:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default 60 Foot Random Wire Shortwave [SWL] Antenna ?

On Feb 5, 2:32*pm, bpnjensen wrote:
On Feb 5, 12:55*pm, RHF wrote:

On Feb 4, 10:05*pm, bpnjensen wrote:

2-5-2011, GUATEMALA, R. Verdad (tent), 4052.5 AM, very weak SS,
apparent *conversation, SINPO 15231. *Not sure what they are using for
a TX now, but fair signal.

- Bruce Jensen, CA, USA

"CA" is a big place north to south
"SF Bay Area, CA, USA" would be nicer )
*.
- R75 & 60 foot random wire

BpnJ is this "60 foot random wire" your
newly built Shortwave [SWL] Antenna ?
-or- an older existing Shortwave Antenna ?

? I thought it was an Inverted "L" Antenna !
-not-just-a- Straight Horizontal 'Flat' Wire Antenna ?

*IF* the newly built SWL Antenna is
an Inverted "L" Antenna ?

How many Feet in the Up-Vertical-Leg ?
-and- How many Feet in the Out-Horizontal-Arm ?
=Total= Combined Feet of the Antenna Wire
+Plus+ The general 'Lay' {Direction} of the Horizontal
Antenna Wire from the the Up-Vertical-Leg out to the
Far-End of the Out-Horizontal-Arm : N & NE & E & SE
& S & SW & W & NW & N

iwtk ~ RHF
*.
*.

- It's the new one. Well, yes, that's right, an inverted L. The
- vertical is about 30 feet, the horizontal about 60. Oriented nearly
- north-south (not checked with a compass), far end is south.
Guatemala
- is off the forward left side if you looking the direction the
antenna
- is aimed.

BpnJ,

'The Antenna's Size' is "The Antenna's Size" : A Fixed Point
-how-ever- as the Frequency Varies for 500 kHs to 1 MHz
to 2 MHz to 4 MHz to 8 MHz to 16 MHz to 32 MHz
the Propagation Characteristics of the Antenna ~change~
So having the Vertical-Up-Leg as your Starting Reference
Point and your Far-End as your End-Point should/would
allow you to have an Idea {Hunch} about the Receiving
Properties of your Fixed Size Antenna on any given
High {Shortwave} Frequency [HF].
Old February 6th 11, 10:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Feb 5, 12:55*pm, RHF wrote:

[...]

How much does the 30 vertical do for you, other than collect
vertically polarized QRM? *The only reason, really, I built it this
way was to allow the 9:1 antenna unun to be mounted near ground (the
ground is not in place yet, but will be soon).

- Otherwise, I would have put the whole thing up high,
- or possibly sloped with the unun end down.

Better would be to have the Feed-in-Line running
4"~6" below the Ground directly under the Wire
Antenna Element all the way out to the UnUn and
Ground Rod; with the Antenna Element Sloping-Up
back over the 'lay' of the Feed-in-Line.

~ RHF
Old February 6th 11, 02:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 02/06/2011 02:14 AM, RHF wrote:
On Feb 5, 2:32 pm, wrote:

.
- The only reason, really, I built it this way was to
- allow the 9:1 antenna unun to be mounted near
- ground (the ground is not in place yet, but will be
- soon). Otherwise, I would have put the whole thing
- up high, or possibly sloped with the unun end down.

Close to the Ground is 'good'.
.
- This morning (1800z onward), the VOA relays from
- MDG and BOT (Africa) on 16 and 19 meters were
- coming in almost like locals.
-
- Bruce

Real slopers have the feedpoint at the top.
Old February 6th 11, 02:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 02/06/2011 02:32 AM, RHF wrote:

Better would be to have the Feed-in-Line running
4"~6" below the Ground directly under the Wire
Antenna Element all the way out to the UnUn and
Ground Rod; with the Antenna Element Sloping-Up
back over the 'lay' of the Feed-in-Line.

Why not elevate the transmission line overhead and implement a switching
arrangement to turn the mess above into a delta loop if needed for fun
and education on certain bands. What would the circumference be??
Old February 6th 11, 05:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 5, 12:55*pm, RHF wrote:

[...]

How better to get to your 60 Foot Out-Horizontal-Arm
1/3rd Omni-Direction Vertical Antenna
+plus+
2/3rds Off-the-Sides Horizontal Antenna*
-and- 45 Degree Out-from-the-Sides Horizontal Antenna*
-and- Off-the-End Horizontal Antenna*
* Depending on the Frequency
*.
- The only reason, really, I built it this way was to
- allow the 9:1 antenna *unun to be mounted near
- ground (the ground is not in place yet, but will be
- soon). *Otherwise, I would have put the whole thing
- up high, or possibly sloped with the unun end down.

Close to the Ground is 'good'.
*.
- This morning (1800z onward), the VOA relays from
- MDG and BOT (Africa) on 16 and 19 meters were
- coming in almost like locals.
-
- Bruce

Strong Signals and less noise is good too ) ~ RHF
*.
*.

Actually, isn't the directionality of a wire along it's axis? That's
how the PAR end-fed SWL antenna is, according to Dale...

Old February 6th 11, 05:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 6, 6:09*am, dave wrote:
On 02/06/2011 02:14 AM, RHF wrote:

On Feb 5, 2:32 pm, *wrote:
* .
- The only reason, really, I built it this way was to
- allow the 9:1 antenna *unun to be mounted near
- ground (the ground is not in place yet, but will be
- soon). *Otherwise, I would have put the whole thing
- up high, or possibly sloped with the unun end down.

Close to the Ground is 'good'.
* .
- This morning (1800z onward), the VOA relays from
- MDG and BOT (Africa) on 16 and 19 meters were
- coming in almost like locals.
-
- Bruce

Real slopers have the feedpoint at the top.

Yepp, but then it's a lot harder to get the thing grounded. Either
way, you still get a more omni pattern.
Old February 6th 11, 05:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 6, 2:32*am, RHF wrote:
..

- Otherwise, I would have put the whole thing up high,
- or possibly sloped with the unun end down.

Better would be to have the Feed-in-Line running
4"~6" below the Ground directly under the Wire
Antenna Element all the way out to the UnUn and
Ground Rod; with the Antenna Element Sloping-Up
back over the 'lay' of the Feed-in-Line.

~ RHF

Why is the alignment important?
Old February 6th 11, 06:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 02/06/2011 09:08 AM, bpnjensen wrote:
On Feb 6, 2:14 am, wrote:
On Feb 5, 2:32 pm, wrote:

On Feb 5, 12:55 pm, wrote:

On Feb 4, 10:05 pm, wrote:

[...]

That is a very complicated subject. Usually a wire close to the ground
has a pattern between a kaleidoscope and a butterfly on acid. Seriously,
like a butterfly more often than not, with various lobes and nulls
depending on the frequency.
Old February 6th 11, 06:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 02/06/2011 09:10 AM, bpnjensen wrote:
On Feb 6, 2:32 am, wrote:
.

- Otherwise, I would have put the whole thing up high,
- or possibly sloped with the unun end down.

Better would be to have the Feed-in-Line running
4"~6" below the Ground directly under the Wire
Antenna Element all the way out to the UnUn and
Ground Rod; with the Antenna Element Sloping-Up
back over the 'lay' of the Feed-in-Line.

~ RHF

Why is the alignment important?

I was playing along but wondered the same thing.

Old February 6th 11, 09:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Many Types and Configurations of "Sloper" Antennas

On Feb 6, 6:09*am, dave wrote:
On 02/06/2011 02:14 AM, RHF wrote:

On Feb 5, 2:32 pm, *wrote:
* .
- The only reason, really, I built it this way was to
- allow the 9:1 antenna *unun to be mounted near
- ground (the ground is not in place yet, but will be
- soon). *Otherwise, I would have put the whole thing
- up high, or possibly sloped with the unun end down.

Close to the Ground is 'good'.
* .
- This morning (1800z onward), the VOA relays from
- MDG and BOT (Africa) on 16 and 19 meters were
- coming in almost like locals.
-
- Bruce

Real slopers have the feedpoint at the top.

Dave a "Sloper" Antenna gets it's name from the
fact that the Wire Antenna Element is 'Sloping' :
There are many 'types' of so-called "Sloper" Antennas
-and- Many 'configurations' of so-called "Sloper"
Antennas
-all- Built for a specific Radio Listening {Broadcasting}
needs and equally practical 'design' considerations.

Radio Verdad Steve Shortwave 0 September 24th 07 02:53 AM
Radio Verdad on 4052.5 kHz? Darkington 'Starsky' Starr Shortwave 7 February 15th 06 08:20 PM
antenna with a tent Dr Brain Antenna 3 June 17th 04 02:36 PM
Radio Verdad Maximus Shortwave 1 February 18th 04 12:28 PM
Radio Verdad Rick KB1KIL Shortwave 1 January 30th 04 07:57 AM