Old March 19th 11, 12:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default New (to me) radio...and NOISE.

On 03/19/2011 02:02 AM, m II wrote:

I found a very modestly priced Sony 2010 yesterday (FCC
IDAK896AICF-2010) and am pretty happy with it, except for one thing. It
uses THREE size D batteries. Two or four I don't mind, but where do you
find a charger that handles three batteries at a time? It's a pain
having to buy four and then rotate them in sequence. Small problem in
the general scheme of things.

I don't know if there is a serial number hidden somewhere on the thing,
I'd like to find out when in the production run it was made. The sound
is very good for a set this size and the 'sync' actually works, unlike
the 7600 I tried a few years ago. That radio made me buy a Sangean 909.

The noise that's been plaguing me for weeks turns out to be the solar
panel battery charger/regulator. It's worse than any dimmer or
fluorescent light I've ever heard. The unit is an Outback 60 amp mppt. I
don't imagine there's an easy way to stop the noise. Night time
miraculously clears things up.

mike

Clamp on ferrites on all wires in and out of the inverter.

The model 80 on the page are Fair-Rite brand. Loop skinny wires through
twice:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...errites/1.html

Old March 19th 11, 02:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Mar 19, 5:05*am, dave wrote:
[...]

That should do some good; and usually the more
you use the more effective they collectively become.

If you can/have access to both ends of the Wires :
{ Place a Ferrite Bead [FB] on Each End of Each Wire}
Solar Panel [FB] =Wires-to= [FB] Outback
Outback [FB] =Wires-to= [FB] Batteries
Outback [FB] =Wires-to= [FB House

If you have one or more of the Remote Output Monitors
for the Outback : Then Put a Ferrite Bead on each end
of the Data Cable(s) too.

hope this helps ~ RHF
Old March 19th 11, 06:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 3/19/2011 7:11 AM, RHF wrote:

That should do some good; and usually the more
you use the more effective they collectively become.

If you can/have access to both ends of the Wires :
{ Place a Ferrite Bead [FB] on Each End of Each Wire}
Solar Panel [FB] =Wires-to= [FB] Outback
Outback [FB] =Wires-to= [FB] Batteries
Outback [FB] =Wires-to= [FB House

The chokes should go as close to the noise source as possible. They do
zero good at the other end.
Old March 19th 11, 09:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Mar 19, 11:53*am, dave wrote:
On 3/19/2011 7:11 AM, RHF wrote:

That should do some good; and usually the more
you use the more effective they collectively become.

If you can/have access to both ends of the Wires :
{ Place a Ferrite Bead [FB] on Each End of Each Wire}
Solar Panel [FB] =Wires-to= [FB] Outback
Outback [FB] =Wires-to= [FB] Batteries
Outback [FB] =Wires-to= [FB House

The chokes should go as close to the noise source as possible. They do
zero good at the other end.

Dave -with-all-due-respect-

Unless {Specifically} You Know The RFI Noise Source :
Every Thing Is The Potential [Unknown] Source :
Therefore Treat Every Thing As The Source

Install FBs on Unit "A" -now- Unit "A" with a FB's
on the Wire within an Inch or two from it is Protected.
Those FBs acting as an RFI Shunts for Unit "A".

However [But] the 25 Feet of Wire(s) going from Unit "A"
to Unit "B" are a 'potential' Antenna. This Antenna may
Pick-Up the RFI being Radiated from Unit "A" an inject
the RFI back into Unit "B" and now Unit "B" passes that
Noise around the rest of the System.

Now install FBs on Unit "B" -now- Unit "B" with a FB's
on the Wire within an Inch or two from it is Protected.
Those FBs acting as an RFI Shunts for Unit "B".

Oops there is also a 25 Feet of Wire(s) going from Unit
"B" to Unit "C" are a 'potential' Antenna.

the process of elimination continues ~ RHF

I have small slide-on FB's on all the Wires on the Solar
Array of now 88 Panels : The Contractors said it was not
necessary & I Said Do It.

I have Clamp-On FBs at the Service Feed Box at the
base of the Solar Array.

I have Clamp-On FBs at the Service Entry Box at the
Controller / Regulators / Inverters.

I have Clamp-On FBs at the Enclosure for the Batteries
about 3-Inches from each Battery.

Except for the 200KW Generator at the Corner of the Pond
going 'On' and the snap-crackle-pop of a string of Power Grid
Towers about a 1/4 Mile Away {Lions Dam to the Valley}
I get an S-Meter "0" on many bands between RF Signals.
and I Run 100 Foot+ SWL Antennas.

I Am One Old Believer In "FB"s Everywhere : Especially
When Wire Runs Get Longer than 6~8 Feet- iane ~ RHF
Old March 20th 11, 03:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Treat City, County and State Employees Just Like Federal Employees

On 3/19/2011 10:43 PM, RHF wrote:

? Mike [M II] -or-is-it- [II M] ekiM ?

We're all so jealous of Mike. He's the only one in the newsgroup who
has an Evil Twin.

Tally ho,

Kevin.
--
http://nationalvanguard.org/
http://kevinalfredstrom.com/

Old March 20th 11, 03:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 19, 7:43*pm, RHF wrote:
On Mar 19, 5:03*pm, m II wrote:

On 11-03-19 03:34 PM, RHF wrote:

Except for the 200KW Generator at the Corner of the Pond
going 'On' and the snap-crackle-pop of a string of Power Grid
Towers about a 1/4 Mile Away {Lions Dam to the Valley}
I get an S-Meter "0" on many bands between RF Signals.
and I Run 100 Foot+ SWL Antennas.

200 KW generator? *More solar panels than Gore? Your public sector union
job must have been very rewarding. Is it not hypocritical to now demand
government destroy unions? Why is it alright for *you* to get a 5700
percent subsidy from the taxpayer for your pension, but not for the guy
that replaced you?

If the system sucks so bad, then why don't you return the money? Help
the country out.

mike

? Mike [M II] -or-is-it- [II M] ekiM ?

OK -so- Treat City, County and State Employees Just
Like Federal Employees Benefit Fairness and Equality :
The 50/50 Benefits Rule

From the Day I Started Work for Uncle Sam 1965 and
Until The Day I Retired 1997: I Paid 50% and US Paid
50% for the USCS Defined Benefit Retirement Plan.
-just-say-'no'-to-excessive-100%-public-employee-benefits-

The Federal Employees Medical Plan was 40% Employee
Paid and 60% Paid by the Federal Government -but- When
You Factored in the Average Annual Basic Wellness Medical
Costs Paid by the Employees it was Closer to 75% Employees
and 25% by Uncle Sam.
-just-say-'no'-to-excessive-100%-public-employee-benefits-

The was good enough for the Federal Government; and
should Be The Fairness and Equality Standard for All
Public Employee Pension Plans.
-just-say-'no'-to-excessive-100%-public-employee-benefits-

I Also Paid into Social Security 50% and My Employers
Paid the Other 50% : Had To Pay Into Social Security
Even Though I Don't Get To Collect It.
-just-say-'no'-to-excessive-100%-public-employee-benefits-

FWIW : Clocked 32.5 Years of Working for Uncle Sam
and was Told At the Exit Interview that "I" Logged Closer
to 42 Years-At-Work and On-the-Job : That's Amounts to
10 Years of Donated {Un-Paid} Labor as a Manager.
-sam-says-you-want-overtime-rotfl--you-can-have-comp-time-
-sam-says-oops-you-can't-use-your-comp-time-
-sam-says-cause-we-need-you-on-the-job-
-sam-says-we-will-zero-out-your-comp-time-at-the-end-of-each-year-
-sam-says-the-rules-are-the-rules-and-sam-makes-the-rules-

imho 'i' earn 'my' retirement the hard way by working
long and hard for many years+ ~ RHF
*.
*.
Now a Lady who gets Five Retire Checks between Her
and Her Dead Husband : Her State and Federal; Plus
His US Disabled Military; Plus His State; and Social
Security : THEY WORK MANY JOBS ALL THEIR LIVES
AND EARN AND DESERVE IT ALL : GOD BLESS THEM.
-ps- All at the 50%/50% Fair and Equatable Rate.

IMHO - All Public Employees Should Be Mandated To
Pay There Fair and Equal Share of 50% of All The Benefits
Retirement, Health etc etc etc... It's Socially Responsible,
Just and Sustainable {Social Justice To The Tax Payers}
-just-say-'no'-to-excessive-100%-public-employee-benefits-
*.
*.
Fairness & Equality For All : "Golden Benefit" Union
Employees Tax Their Excessive Benefits as Incomehttp://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/2da2af407c994c90http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/3058721a8f3a2680
*.
Q? : Why Did Prez Obama Use The Hate Speech Code
Word "ATTACK"-wrt- To the State of Wisconsin and
The Union Workers !http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...57867c1c50aa53
*.
*.

I actually do pay something approximating this at Alameda County -
although the medical is more covered by the County. I pretty much pay
40% for dental and nearly all for optics. I would like to point out
that the cost of medical today is MUCH higher than at any time when
you were working, and rising constantly. These are reflected in the
premia. If a person has to pay 50%, and especially if he/she gets a
serious medical condition, that 50% could bankrupt (or nearly so) that
person. Of course, this is really a call for getting medical prices
under control, but frankly - unless someone is willing to give the
government the ability to highly regulate the medical industry or take
it over, it ain't gonna happen.
Old March 20th 11, 05:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 19, 11:01*pm, Kevin Alfred Strom kevin.st...@revilo-
oliver.com wrote:
On 3/19/2011 10:43 PM, RHF wrote:

? Mike [M II] -or-is-it- [II M] ekiM ?

We're all so jealous of Mike. He's the only one in the newsgroup who
has an Evil Twin.

Tally ho,

Kevin.
--http://nationalvanguard.org/http://kevinalfredstrom.com/

Don't We All have a Dark Side(double/twin/anti-matter) by default ?
Old March 20th 11, 05:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 19, 5:34*pm, RHF wrote:
On Mar 19, 11:53*am, dave wrote:

On 3/19/2011 7:11 AM, RHF wrote:

[...]

Who's generator is it ? A local hospital/hotel/FD ? Sounds a little
heavy for a household back-up thingy !
Old March 20th 11, 06:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Mar 19, 10:38*pm, wrote:
On Mar 19, 5:34*pm, RHF wrote:

On Mar 19, 11:53*am, dave wrote:

On 3/19/2011 7:11 AM, RHF wrote:

[...]

Mike [M II] only presented a Half-Truth from this Post :

"My One Big Problem During a 'Local' Power Outage is
that the Local Water Company has a Kohler 200 KW
Back-Up Electrical Generator at the Corner of the Pond
with in 100 Yards of the House."
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...bcf0bc4ff6eac2

It's the Water Company's Generator and it within
100 Yards of the House.

yes - it is that simple ~ RHF
Old March 20th 11, 06:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Mar 19, 8:01*pm, Kevin Alfred Strom
wrote:
On 3/19/2011 10:43 PM, RHF wrote:

? Mike [M II] -or-is-it- [II M] ekiM ?

We're all so jealous of Mike. He's the only one in the newsgroup who
has an Evil Twin.

Tally ho,

Kevin.
--http://nationalvanguard.org/http://kevinalfredstrom.com/

Mike [M II] and Bizzaro Ekim
His Evil Mirror Twin

Radio noise amdx Homebrew 8 February 14th 04 01:20 AM
Radio noise amdx Homebrew 0 February 13th 04 01:41 AM
WTB: HP/Agilent 346A (or B) Noise Source for HP 8970A Noise Figure Meter Carl R. Stevenson Homebrew 0 January 21st 04 04:20 AM
Automatic RF noise cancellation and audio noise measurement JGBOYLES Antenna 25 August 11th 03 01:07 AM
Automatic RF noise cancellation and audio noise measurement Dave Shrader Homebrew 35 August 11th 03 01:07 AM