RadioBanter

-   -   Sangean ATS-909x question (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/167893-sangean-ats-909x-question.html)

RHF June 26th 11 04:20 PM

Sangean ATS-909x question

On Jun 23, 10:31*am, rkhalona wrote:
Any owners of this new radio here?
I am wondering if you are hearing any (audible) difference when you
switch between the wide and narrow bandwidth settings in AM mode.

Thanks for your answers.

Ramon Khalona

"RK",

Go Here for the Sangean Company webpage
for the Sangean ATS-909X AM/FM/SW Receiver
http://www.sangean.com/products/prod...=71&pan=9&um=3
-has-down-loads-for-

* Manual PDF
-note- Read Page 32
"Switch Setting" : AM Narrrow / Wide
-says- The Filter Switch works NW in the AM Mode
-and- Is Always Narrow in SSB Mode

* Specification PDF

* Flyer PDF

Call/Contact Sangean USA and ask then the
Question as to the Band-Widths of the AM
Mode Wide and Narrow Filters in the Sangean
ATS-909X AM/FM/SW Receiver
http://www.sangean.com/contact_us/contact_us.asp?um=5
INFO : Phone + eMail
+ On-Line 'Web-Request' Form

[email protected] June 27th 11 03:08 PM

Sangean ATS-909x question

http://www.devilfinder.com/find.php?...ngean+ATS-909X
cuhulin

rkhalona June 29th 11 07:12 PM

Sangean ATS-909x question

for the Sangean ATS-909XAM/FM/SW Receiverhttp://www.sangean.com/products/products_main.asp?pid=71&pan=9&um=3
-has-down-loads-for-

* Manual PDF
-note- Read Page 32
"Switch Setting" : AM Narrrow / Wide
-says- The Filter Switch works NW in the AM Mode
-and- Is Always Narrow in SSB Mode

* Specification PDF

* Flyer PDF

Call/Contact Sangean USA and ask then the
Question as to the Band-Widths of the AM
Mode Wide and Narrow Filters in the Sangean
ATS-909XAM/FM/SW Receiverhttp://www.sangean.com/contact_us/contact_us.asp?um=5
INFO : Phone + eMail
+ On-Line 'Web-Request' Form
*.
*.
-alternative-
Radio Labs Support may be able to answer
the Question as to the Band-Widths of the AM
Mode Wide and Narrow Filters in the Sangean
ATS-909XAM/FM/SW Receiverhttp://www.radiolabs.com/support/
*.
*.

Thanks RHF. I am looking for other users' experience. My unit comes
from Radio Labs, with the filter upgrade (their so-called, "Clearmod"
modification).
The difference when I switch from AM wide to narrow is almost always
inaudible and, for all practical purposes, does not make any
difference without detuning the radio
in slow mode. I wonder if owners of the stock radio experience the
same.
(The Radio Labs people think this is the way the radio is supposed to
work, which I found puzzling and surprising)

RK

[email protected] June 30th 11 03:39 AM

Sangean ATS-909x question

I have owned two Sangeans before.An ATS 909 and another Sangean that was
AM/FM/TV and Weather.I sent them back to C Crane because they were Crap!
cuhulin

dave June 30th 11 03:05 PM

Sangean ATS-909x question

On 06/29/2011 11:12 AM, rkhalona wrote:

Thanks RHF. I am looking for other users' experience. My unit comes
from Radio Labs, with the filter upgrade (their so-called, "Clearmod"
modification).
The difference when I switch from AM wide to narrow is almost always
inaudible and, for all practical purposes, does not make any
difference without detuning the radio
in slow mode. I wonder if owners of the stock radio experience the
same.
(The Radio Labs people think this is the way the radio is supposed to
work, which I found puzzling and surprising)

RK

This may be more of a function of the AM station's transmitter. Try
tuning off by 1 KHz so you get some sideband splatter. Can you hear
cymbals and sibilance, or do you hear crackling and popping? If it's the
latter, the station isn't transmitting any highs. See if the bandwidth
selector makes a difference while off tuned a little.

[email protected] July 1st 11 08:40 AM

Sangean ATS-909x question

On Jun 29, 2:12*pm, rkhalona wrote:
On Jun 26, 8:20*am, RHF wrote:

[...]

RK- Hide quoted text -

Is there any reason they did not furnish any actual numbers/
specifications ? Their website mentions something like a 'processor
filter'(?) . This sounds sort of evasive as far as I'm concerned . And
even Sangean doesn't have much information about the static or dynamic
bandwih measurements . They must be hiding something .

RHF July 1st 11 10:55 AM

Sangean ATS-909x question

On Jun 29, 11:12*am, rkhalona wrote:
On Jun 26, 8:20*am, RHF wrote:

[...]

RK,

If you have a Very W-I-D-E 'Wide' IF Filter +8 kHz
and a not-so-wide 'Wide' IF Filter ~4 kHz you may
NOT hear or detect too much difference between the
two when it comes to AM-Mode Radio Reception.

However, If you have a Standard 'Wide' IF Filter
~5 kHz and a Narrow IF Filter -3 kHz you may well
Hear a/r Detect some real difference between the
two when it comes to AM-Mode Radio Reception.

What "kHz" and "Shape Factor" Rad-Labs 'claim'
for their Wide and Narrow IF Filter in the
Mod'ed Sangean ATS-909X Radio ?

Sangean ATS 909X - Modified for Clarity
http://www.radiolabs.com/products/re...s-909x-mod.php

iwtk ~ RHF

rkhalona July 1st 11 09:26 PM

Sangean ATS-909x question

On Jun 30, 7:05*am, dave wrote:
[...]

Hi Dave,

I have tried that and, as I said above, without detuning you would
never know there is a different filter in there, but one should hear a
difference when you switch
from wide to narrow, without detuning. According to Radio Labs, they
have used filter bandwidths of 4.5 KHz and 2 KHz for wide and narrow.
A 2 KHz filter should cripple audio fidelity noticeably (and reduce
interference), but I am hearing no difference. I have had two other
people listen independently and they say the same, so it is not just
my ears. I have now read a couple of reviews elsewhere that indicate
the bandwidth switch does very little (including the guys at Universal
Radio, whom I telephoned), so it looks like a flaw this radio has,
including the modified version.

RK

rkhalona July 1st 11 11:36 PM

Sangean ATS-909x question

On Jun 26, 8:20*am, RHF wrote:

[...]

Sangean ATS909X- Modified for Clarityhttp://www.radiolabs.com/products/receivers/ats-909x-mod.php

iwtk ~ RHF
*.

Hi RHF,

Radio Labs claims they have used 4.5 KHz for wide and 2 KHz for
narrow. As I said in my response to Dave, one should be able to hear
the difference between these pretty easily (for reference, my Drake
SW8 has 6, 4 and 2.4 KHz bandwidths, and one can hear the difference
between all three pretty well, especially in going from the middle to
the lowest bandwidth because the narrowest filter muffles the audio
distinctly). I just wanted to hear about other users' experience,
wether they have the stock or modified radio.
Thanks for your reply.

RK

sctvguy1[_2_] July 2nd 11 12:40 AM

Sangean ATS-909x question

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 13:26:39 -0700, rkhalona wrote:

I have now read a couple of reviews elsewhere that indicate the
bandwidth switch does very little (including the guys at Universal
Radio, whom I telephoned), so it looks like a flaw this radio has,
including the modified version.

RK

I think that you need to get your money returned.