Old June 23rd 11, 06:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Sangean ATS-909x question

Any owners of this new radio here?
I am wondering if you are hearing any (audible) difference when you
switch between the wide and narrow bandwidth settings in AM mode.

Thanks for your answers.

Ramon Khalona
Old June 23rd 11, 09:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 23 jun, 19:31, rkhalona wrote:
Any owners of this new radio here?
I am wondering if you are hearing any (audible) difference when you
switch between the wide and narrow bandwidth settings in AM mode.

Thanks for your answers.

Ramon Khalona

Hello Ramon,

I have one at hand (about 8 years old I believe) and changing the
narrow/wide switch changes the RF bandwidth on LW, AM and SW. Changing
to narrow, reduces the "HF" part of the audio spectrum (so the tone
changes).

You may check the operation when listening to a relative weak station
adjacent to a stronger one. When changing to wide, you may experience
more interference from the stronger station.

With kind regards,

Wim
PA3DJS
www.tetech.nl
Please remove abc in case of using PM

Old June 23rd 11, 10:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 23, 1:53*pm, Wimpie wrote:
[...]

Thanks Wim. Are you talking about the 909? I am referring to the
909x, which was released within the last six months or so.

Regards,

RK
Old June 23rd 11, 10:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 23 jun, 23:04, rkhalona wrote:
On Jun 23, 1:53*pm, Wimpie wrote:

[...]

Whoops, I was talking about the 909, I missed the "x".

With kind regards,

Wim
PA3DJS
www.tetech.nl
Old June 23rd 11, 10:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 23, 1:53*pm, Wimpie wrote:

[...]

Are you sure you have the channel spacing (9/10 kHz) set correctly for
AM broadcast band. If you are living in Europe, it should be 9 kHz
mostly. When a station isn't tuned correctly, changing the narrow/
wide switch has little to no effect.

With kind regards,

Wim
PA3DJS
www.tetech.nl

Old June 23rd 11, 11:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 23, 1:53*pm, Wimpie wrote:

[...]

PA3DJSwww.tetech.nl- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Wim. I live in the USA and the channel spacing is set at 10
KHz.

RK
Old June 24th 11, 10:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 23, 1:53*pm, Wimpie wrote:

[...]

This will definitely improve reception quality. Does this solve the
narrow/wide problem also?

With kind regards,

Wim
PA3DJS
www.tetech.nl
Old June 24th 11, 04:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 23, 1:53*pm, Wimpie wrote:

[...]

No. The problem I am experiencing is that the narrow/wide bandwidth
switch does not cause any difference in audio quality and I want to
know if other users are experiencing the same. Thanks Wim.

RK
Old June 24th 11, 06:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 23, 1:53*pm, Wimpie wrote:

[...]

I hope some other people will add their experience. In my opinion, the
audio quality should change, so there may be something wrong with the
unit. If it is on wide, you will definitely experience adjacent
channel/frequency interference problems, especially when listening to
crowded parts of the SW spectrum.

With kind regards,

Wim
PA3DJS
www.tetech.nl
Old June 25th 11, 09:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 10:31:09 -0700 (PDT), rkhalona
wrote:

Any owners of this new radio here?
I am wondering if you are hearing any (audible) difference when you
switch between the wide and narrow bandwidth settings in AM mode.

Thanks for your answers.

Ramon Khalona

Here's a short review of the 909X although no mention of the bandwidth
switch:
http://radiojayallen.com/sangean-ats-909x/

Jim(MI)

Re The New Sangean ATS 909X Bob[_27_] Shortwave 9 January 8th 11 02:32 AM
Starting a new Yahoo group in anticipation of the future Sangean ATS-909X Merlin Shortwave 7 August 28th 10 10:42 PM
Starting a new Yahoo group in anticipation of the future Sangean ATS-909X Merlin Equipment 0 August 28th 10 02:48 AM
Sangean ATS909 question Me Shortwave 3 September 28th 05 12:09 AM
Sangean ATS-083A / RS DX-440 question... Rob R. Shortwave 5 April 15th 04 11:32 AM