Old July 5th 11, 04:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default First radio that got you into DX-ing?

On 07/04/2011 08:57 AM, D. Peter Maus wrote:

My first was a Hallicrafters S-53A

Built in 1951

8 tubes

5 bands, 54 - 1605khz, 2.5 - 6.3Mhz, 6.3 - 16.5Mhz, 13.8 - 33Mhz, 46 -
55Mhz.

$90.99 when purchased.

120V AC

Variants include S-53 and S-53U with largers IF cans. S-53U
international power transformer.

Damn! Must've had a hell of a paper route!

Old July 5th 11, 04:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Advert for tube amp kit

On 07/04/2011 09:28 AM, J R wrote:
Setchell Carlson home/family radio way back around 1946, in
Carthage,Missy Sippy.I used to tune around on that dial.My mom always
liked to listen to those soap opera radio programs, Stella Dallas and so
forth.And there was real Good Music, Big Band/Swing era Music, on the
radio way back in those years.

The yearrrs go by,,,, quicker than a wink,,, enjoy yourself, enjoy
yourself while you are still in the pink,,,,,

How True it is.

Say cuzz, you wants to build a Tube Amp for your iPod? Look in the July
2011 Popular Science magazine.Or looka here,
http://www.devilfinder.com/find.php?...e+Amp,+Remixed
cuhulin, Quicker than a Wink

Old July 5th 11, 04:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 07/04/2011 09:52 AM, Firebottle3 wrote:
On Jul 4, 9:39 am, "Gisle wrote:
Please folks, tell us about what radio got you into DX-ing. I.e.
which radio was the first "fix". The one that made you pursue DX-ing?

Here is a picture of my first, named "Radionette Combi Star":
http://www.nnrm.net/Teknisk%20info/R...0CombiStar.htm

Some technical data (translated from the above):

Year of build: 1960 (by Radionette A/S, Oslo, Norway)
Transistors: 2x OC71, 2x OC604 (germanium with long legs).
Frequency bands: LW, MW, 1.6 - 3.3 MHz ("fishery-band" on our lingo since
fishermen used it to "phone" home) and SW 49m - 19m bands (continuously).
Price in 1960: NOK 590,- (approx. 90 US$ then).
Power alternatives: 110V, 130V, 150V, 210V, 230V or 7.5V battery pack.
# produced: unknown.

Variants in the750001-751600 series had Garrard record-player. While the 755001 had a
Star record-player (45 RPM). The first model which came in 1958 had a mix of germanium
transistors and tubes.

I remember it had an internal loop antenna hidden around the inside rim
of the wooden chassis. So the MW reception and null-effect (figure-of-8) was
rather good. It had exactly the same colour as in the picture above (but available
several others). It was sturdy built and had a good speaker. Since it also had a battery
pack, I could even take it to the beach and play my 45 RPM records.

I remember my first good DX on this radio; Radio Australia (ABC) on the 25m band. As a
12 year old, I couldn't really believe my ears. Got it from my step-mother after she got tired
of it. And since FM was long common then (1970), she had no use for it. So, that was some
tales of my first radio-love.

--gv

A Hammarlund AACS which was a SP-200 variant. Tuned from 300 KC to 10
MC.

Very cool
Old July 5th 11, 04:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 07/04/2011 09:30 PM, J R wrote:
I have a Hallicrafters S-38EB radio.I paid $4.00 for the radio at
Goodwill.The radio is in nice condition, it still works OK.And I have a
big old heavy A****er Kent speaker.The speaker is mounted in a round
metal cabinet, it is in Good condition.I paid $45.00 for the A****er
Kent speaker when they used to have the Flowers Flea Market, ten miles
East of Vicksburg,Missy Sippy.I also have a old Zenith speaker which is
mounted in an octogon shaped cabinet and a very old Zenith Antenna which
has the many antenna wires mounted in/on a rectangular shaped cardboard
enclosure which says ZENITH in big letters.Real old stuff, lots of real
old stuff I have.My house is cram full of real old stuff.
cuhulin

You should do an alignment on the Halli. Those things clean up really
nice. Wear rubber shoes and use an iso transformer.
Old July 5th 11, 06:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 07/05/2011 08:18 AM, bpnjensen wrote:
On Jul 4, 7:39 am, "Gisle wrote:
Please folks, tell us about what radio got you into DX-ing. I.e.
which radio was the first "fix". The one that made you pursue DX-ing?

(snips)

My first was a Hallicrafters S-39 Sky Ranger given to me by my Uncle
Pete in about 1974, like this one:

http://rigreference.com/rig/2775-Hal..._39_Sky_Ranger

By that time it was pretty long in the tooth, and I did not know much
about radios - and one day while I was using it, it started sparking
and smoking under the hood. I considered it a loss, and it became
lost in the shuffle of the years - but I remmeber it fondly and wish I
still had it. It was followed by a Realistic Astronaut-8, an
amazingly good portable radio when used in a quiet area.

Bruce Jensen

That is a very cool form factor. Nice radio.

Old July 5th 11, 10:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 5, 1:30*pm, dave wrote:
On 07/05/2011 12:40 AM, wrote:

On Jul 5, 3:20 am, John *wrote:

I see . Incidentally I do have an old A-K model 40-something . It is
contained in a wooden box with a sliding lid . The wood looks like a
real mahogany . Never thought it can be SO valuable to some people .
Amazing . . .

Solid mahogany can be made into guitars

But. . . almost every classical guitar used rosewood , years ago .
Have yet to find one made out of mahogany .
Old July 5th 11, 11:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jul 4, 7:39*am, "Gisle Vanem" wrote:
[...]

Old Zenith Floor Model Radio
in the late 1950s
http://www.tuberadioland.com/images/...0-s-669_9_.gif
Old July 6th 11, 05:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 5, 6:09*pm, RHF wrote:
[...]

in the late 1950shttp://www.tuberadioland.com/images/zenith10-s-669_9_.gif
*.
with the Magic Tuning Eyehttp://www.digitaldeliftp.com/DigitalDeliToo/Images/Radios/Magic-Eye-...

Need a 6E5 for a generator . Any NOS sources , other than E---- ?
Old July 6th 11, 02:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 07/05/2011 02:46 PM, wrote:

Solid mahogany can be made into guitars

But. . . almost every classical guitar used rosewood , years ago .
Have yet to find one made out of mahogany .

Are you intentionally being an asshole?