Old July 19th 11, 03:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default What is/was your favorite boatanchor?

Back in the early days, I really wanted a Hammarlund HQ-180, I thought
that this was the top of the line! I used to look in the Allied catalogs
and other sources, the old WRTH, and wished that I had the money to get
one. I finally, now after about 45 years, I have a Hammarlund HQ-145XC,
not the 180, but the closest I can come.
What tube radio did you yearn for in the old days?
Old July 19th 11, 04:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 7/19/2011 7:34 AM, sctvguy1 wrote:
Back in the early days, I really wanted a Hammarlund HQ-180, I thought
that this was the top of the line! I used to look in the Allied catalogs
and other sources, the old WRTH, and wished that I had the money to get
one. I finally, now after about 45 years, I have a Hammarlund HQ-145XC,
not the 180, but the closest I can come.
What tube radio did you yearn for in the old days?

Racal RA-17 series, Collins 51J4/R388, R392
Old July 19th 11, 04:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

sctvguy1 wrote:

Back in the early days, I really wanted a Hammarlund HQ-180, I thought
that this was the top of the line! I used to look in the Allied catalogs
and other sources, the old WRTH, and wished that I had the money to get
one. I finally, now after about 45 years, I have a Hammarlund HQ-145XC,
not the 180, but the closest I can come.
What tube radio did you yearn for in the old days?

I had a pristine HQ-180A. Sorry I sold it.

Old July 19th 11, 05:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 7/19/11 09:34 , sctvguy1 wrote:
Back in the early days, I really wanted a Hammarlund HQ-180, I thought
that this was the top of the line! I used to look in the Allied catalogs
and other sources, the old WRTH, and wished that I had the money to get
one. I finally, now after about 45 years, I have a Hammarlund HQ-145XC,
not the 180, but the closest I can come.
What tube radio did you yearn for in the old days?

I always wanted an SX-28. Until my grandfather gave me his
Hammarlund BC-794 SuperPro.

Old July 19th 11, 10:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 19, 10:34*am, sctvguy1 wrote:
Back in the early days, I really wanted a Hammarlund HQ-180, I thought
that this was the top of the line! *I used to look in the Allied catalogs
and other sources, the old WRTH, and wished that I had the money to get
one. *I finally, now after about 45 years, I have a Hammarlund HQ-145XC,
not the 180, but the closest I can come.
What tube radio did you yearn for in the old days?

I once had a Hammarlund HQ-180AC. Great rx. I always wanted a
Hammarlund SP-600 Super Pro or a Collins R390A but never had the $$$.

Old July 21st 11, 05:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 07/20/2011 07:55 PM, jon boy kg4gfu wrote:
Greetings All!
I would second Defcon's choices but I would really love to have all of
the selections listed. Really though, if we don't get our choices we
still will always want them until we have "it" out of our system. The
problem lies in not getting our wants but in getting them and what do
we get next. What a lovely problem. Have a great week! Jon Boy.
kg4gfu.

Boatanchors were fun when electricity was 2 cents a Kilowatt hour. I've
had 2 [ea] R390-As, a Westinghouse branded RA-17 series, RCA 18 Mhz
receiver from the War, BC-348, etc. Got it out of my system. Still use
tubes for music.
Old July 21st 11, 11:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
J R J R is offline

My brother in law owns a Hammarlund radio.I won't ask him about it
though, he would give me that 'Evil eye' look.

I reckon my floor model Grundig (made in 1956 or 1957)
Phonograph/AM/FM/Shortwave radio and my Telefunken Opus AM/FM/Shortwave
table model radio (I think it was made in the 1950s or 1960s) and my
Hallicrafters S-38EB radio radio might be considered to be 'boatanchors'
by ''those people''. I do NOT Agree with calling them boatanchors.They
are, RADIOS!
Boat Anchors are for Anchoring Boats, and Ships.Don't argue with me, I
am Always Right.
cuhulin

Old July 22nd 11, 04:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 21, 12:56*pm, dave wrote:
On 07/20/2011 07:55 PM, jon boy kg4gfu wrote:

Greetings All!
I would second Defcon's choices but I would really love to have all of
the selections listed. Really though, if we don't get our choices we
still will always want them until we have "it" out of our system. *The
problem lies in not getting our wants but in getting them and what do
we get next. *What a lovely problem. *Have a great week! *Jon Boy..
kg4gfu.

Boatanchors were fun when electricity was 2 cents a Kilowatt hour. I've
had 2 [ea] R390-As, a Westinghouse branded RA-17 series, RCA 18 Mhz
receiver from the War, BC-348, etc. Got it out of my system. Still use
tubes for music.

....a Westinghouse branded RA-17 ? Are you joking ??
Old July 22nd 11, 04:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 21, 6:01*pm, (J R) wrote:
My brother in law owns a Hammarlund radio.I won't ask him about it
though, he would give me that 'Evil eye' look.

I reckon my floor model Grundig (made in 1956 or 1957)
Phonograph/AM/FM/Shortwave radio and my Telefunken Opus AM/FM/Shortwave
table model radio (I think it was made in the 1950s or 1960s) and my
Hallicrafters S-38EB radio radio might be considered to be 'boatanchors'
by ''those people''. I do NOT Agree with calling them boatanchors.They
are, RADIOS!
Boat Anchors are for Anchoring Boats, and Ships.Don't argue with me, I
am Always Right.
cuhulin

Wrong . Nobody is Perfect .

Who Is Your Favorite Character [email protected] Shortwave 13 January 28th 07 07:51 AM
Your Favorite QRP Sites, please Joaquin Tall Homebrew 3 January 9th 07 03:55 AM
My favorite lubricunt KC8QJP CB 0 October 8th 04 11:16 PM
What are your two favorite shows? Al Arduengo Shortwave 17 April 10th 04 11:24 AM
Favorite commercial CW f? Henry Kolesnik Shortwave 2 January 6th 04 06:38 AM