RadioBanter

-   -   Japan Radio Co. NRD-92M (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/173492-japan-radio-co-nrd-92m.html)

dave September 21st 11 09:43 PM

Japan Radio Co. NRD-92M

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 16:29:49 -0400, BDK wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 09:59:08 -0400, BDK wrote:

But do the knobs actually exist, or are they just on your PC's
monitor?

Light years different.

I have two radios right here. They both have giant dimpled knobs. Both
knobs have adjustable "drag" in fact. The computer generates the text
and helps me log. I'm constantly tweaking real knobs while chasing
faint traces on the waterfall.

I notice you really didn't answer the question.

You're trippin'. I have an R75 on top of a K3. Orange dials with gray
numbers. The Icom's on 10140 USB; the Elecraft's on 18100 RTTY. They are
real three dimensional physical radios connected to massive amounts of
wire covering the sky above my house.

BDK[_7_] September 22nd 11 12:10 AM

Japan Radio Co. NRD-92M

In article ,
says...

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 16:29:49 -0400, BDK wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 09:59:08 -0400, BDK wrote:

But do the knobs actually exist, or are they just on your PC's
monitor?

Light years different.

I have two radios right here. They both have giant dimpled knobs. Both
knobs have adjustable "drag" in fact. The computer generates the text
and helps me log. I'm constantly tweaking real knobs while chasing
faint traces on the waterfall.

I notice you really didn't answer the question.

You're trippin'. I have an R75 on top of a K3. Orange dials with gray
numbers. The Icom's on 10140 USB; the Elecraft's on 18100 RTTY. They are
real three dimensional physical radios connected to massive amounts of
wire covering the sky above my house.

That's all you had to say.

--
BDK- Top of the government shill heap for over 10 years running!

J R September 22nd 11 04:17 AM

Japan Radio Co. NRD-92M

Japan Radio Co was in cahoots with Telefunken of Germany.
http://www.devilfinder.com/find.php?...+Radio+Company
cuhulin

[email protected] September 22nd 11 04:44 AM

Japan Radio Co. NRD-92M

On Sep 21, 4:43*pm, dave wrote:
On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 16:29:49 -0400, BDK wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 09:59:08 -0400, BDK wrote:

But do the knobs actually exist, or are they just on your PC's
monitor?

Light years different.

I have two radios right here. They both have giant dimpled knobs. Both
knobs have adjustable "drag" in fact. The computer generates the text
and helps me log. I'm constantly tweaking real knobs while chasing
faint traces on the waterfall.

I notice you really didn't answer the question.

You're trippin'. I have an R75 on top of a K3. Orange dials with gray
numbers. The Icom's on 10140 USB; the Elecraft's on 18100 RTTY. They are
real three dimensional physical radios connected to massive amounts of
wire covering the sky above my house.- Hide quoted text -

Seems that any tiny streak of lightning will wipe out both rigs ! Do
you have any protection ?

[email protected] September 22nd 11 04:47 AM

Japan Radio Co. NRD-92M

On Sep 21, 11:17*pm, (J R) wrote:
Japan Radio Co was in cahoots with Telefunken of Germany.http://www.devilfinder.com/find.php?...+Radio+Company
cuhulin

But that's since 1924. JRC was born in 1915.

dave September 22nd 11 02:44 PM

Japan Radio Co. NRD-92M

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 19:10:05 -0400, BDK wrote:

That's all you had to say.

When I recommend black boxes it's for younger people looking at bang-for-
the buck (or people getting all wet about the performance of an antique).
They aren't obsessed with big knobs. I have real analog everything.

dave September 22nd 11 03:02 PM

Japan Radio Co. NRD-92M

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 20:44:16 -0700, arthrnyork wrote:

Seems that any tiny streak of lightning will wipe out both rigs ! Do you
have any protection ?

My 43' vertical has an automatic tuner at the feed-point, 9 feet above
the ground. I physically disconnect the vertical wire. The horizontal
wires (radials) remain connected to the tuner and thus to the LMR400UF
that goes to my shack window in the house below. I have an AD-2 grounding
switch with gas plug at my elbow as I type. The shack is well grounded
with 3 8' rods plus "poultry netting" flat on the ground along the
fenceline. The path from my transceiver to Ground Proper is less than 2
meters. I have meticulously avoided letting "ground" anywhere near my
vertical dipoles. Other than the coax shield on the input to the tuner,
the 43' vertical is floating 9' in the air. You can get by on half a
dozen radials this way.

My GAP Titan DX vertical passes through a Diamond gas pill protector at
the feed-through. The loops have no protection at the moment. One goes to
my ICOM R75, the other to my Drake SW2. I will probably switch these over
to RG-6 75 Ohm after the baluns, and use cheesy CATV grounders.

We get a thunderstorm about once every 2 years here; interesting
microclimates in the canyons...

BDK[_7_] September 22nd 11 06:21 PM

Japan Radio Co. NRD-92M

In article ,
says...

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 19:10:05 -0400, BDK wrote:

That's all you had to say.

When I recommend black boxes it's for younger people looking at bang-for-
the buck (or people getting all wet about the performance of an antique).
They aren't obsessed with big knobs. I have real analog everything.

I have several young friends that started out with SDR type radios and
as soon as they could, they bought a "big knob" radio, as they are much
more pleasnt to actually tune around with, and use the SDR type radios
to sit on freqs or to decode some diigital mode. Using a mouse or a
keyboard to tune a radio is awkward at best, and horrible at the worst.
One of them has my old Icom R71a that I bought on Ebay years ago that
seldom worked for a super cheap price. I had it working fine in minutes,
it was just a bad ground. The only thing wrong with it was it reeked of
cigarette smoke. I put the case in the dishwasher, it came out a totally
different color, and took the front panel and knobs and put them in warm
soapy water that went from clear to looking like coffee in a half hour.
It still has a very slight tobacco smell 7 or so years later, but it's
not too bad and looks and works great. It had been modded by EEB when
bought new, and had the FL-44 filter in it. A total shock to me when I
started taking it apart, as that filter is expensive.

Then there are the radios with knobs, but with unpleasant menus to deal
with, kind of a half good/half bad set up that needed to be better
thought out before they built it.

--
BDK- Top of the government shill heap for over 10 years running!

RHF September 22nd 11 10:28 PM

Japan Radio Co. NRD-92M

On Sep 22, 6:44*am, dave wrote:
On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 19:10:05 -0400, BDK wrote:

That's all you had to say.

When I recommend black boxes it's for younger people looking at bang-for-
the buck (or people getting all wet about the performance of an antique).
They aren't obsessed with big knobs. I have real analog everything.

TenTec RX-320D
http://www.tentec.com/index.php?id=15
Provided that you have a old PC that you
got for Free to run it. ~ RHF

dave September 23rd 11 01:14 AM

Japan Radio Co. NRD-92M

On 9/22/2011 10:21 AM, BDK wrote:

[...]