Old September 23rd 11, 12:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
J R J R is offline

Default A mammoth army of infected computers is being assembled

KNOCK! KNOCK!
///Whos there?///
Kenya.
///Kenya who???///
Kenya show me the birth certificate?
cuhulin

Old September 23rd 11, 01:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 9/22/2011 12:40 PM, Steve wrote:
Most of the Windows users I know regard Linux as a curiosity, most
likely because they aren't really "computer people" and don't much
care about trying new software. On the other hand, the Apple users I
know seem to despise Linux and I've never quite understood that.
Aren't Linux and the various incarnations of Apple's OS both children
of Unix? What gives?

Since X, Apple OS has been Free BSD based, as I recall. Fashionistas are
not logical.
Old September 23rd 11, 01:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 9/22/2011 3:34 PM, J R wrote:
Over 80 percent of the World uses Windows.There must be a reason why.

You hear that boys?!
On the TCM channel right now.
cuhulin

Because it comes pre-loaded in those mass market computers they sell at
big box stores?
Old September 23rd 11, 01:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
J R J R is offline

In my opinion, if you build your own computer from scratch, you can make
it what you want without all that preloaded crap.
cuhulin

Old September 23rd 11, 01:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dave" wrote in message
. ..

On 9/22/2011 3:34 PM, J R wrote:
Over 80 percent of the World uses Windows.There must be a reason why.

You hear that boys?!
On the TCM channel right now.
cuhulin

Because it comes pre-loaded in those mass market computers they sell at
big box stores?

Also because it is exceptionally simple to use. It is designed for the end
user. Linux may well be a "superior" OS in some respects, but one of them is
not its ease of adding new applications, nor its network interoperability
with Windows based systems on the same network. I will admit that Linux has
become a lot more hardware friendly. The first few times I tried it, you had
to pretty much have the hardware it was written for, or needed to know how
to write your own drivers. The GUI has also become better over time, but for
most who are not computer geeks (and some of us that are), it's still not
all that friendly to the end user.

Old September 23rd 11, 01:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 19:39:35 -0500, J R wrote:

In my opinion, if you build your own computer from scratch, you can make
it what you want without all that preloaded crap. cuhulin

I have a friend who's a gamer. Whenever he upgrades his gaming machine we
put the old one in the studio and run Ubuntu Studio on it.

Personally, I get a mid-range BCS motherboard and last year's flavor of
the month processor, and an 80 Plus PSU and I'm off. Memory costs
nothing. Linux costs nothing.

My ham radio computer is one of those $200 WalMart boxes from about 5
years ago.
Old September 23rd 11, 01:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 09:53:50 +0900, Brenda Ann wrote:

Also because it is exceptionally simple to use. It is designed for the
end user. Linux may well be a "superior" OS in some respects, but one of
them is not its ease of adding new applications, nor its network
interoperability with Windows based systems on the same network. I will
admit that Linux has become a lot more hardware friendly. The first few
times I tried it, you had to pretty much have the hardware it was
written for, or needed to know how to write your own drivers. The GUI
has also become better over time, but for most who are not computer
geeks (and some of us that are), it's still not all that friendly to the
end user.

I find it way easier to use than Windows, but then again I have
congenital brain damage.

If there are compatibility issues, it's almost always on the Windows end.
The web is Unix based.

Windows has nothing to compare with "synaptic" based installers.

For personal use the only thing Windows excels [pun] at is games that
require DirectX. For some business you need the Photoshop type apps
(because the prima-donnas refuse to adapt or try new things).

For overall ease I'd have to go with an Ubuntu 2010. To run any machine
ever built, I'd use Puppy 420. If you like waiting on hold for secret
codes, buy Windows.
Old September 23rd 11, 06:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 9/23/2011 5:50 AM, dave wrote:
[...]

Poor dave has problems tying his shoes, even lighting up his bong ... I
am sure he has difficulty with most other things in life ... the rest of
wonder why he is having all the problems ... I mean, all the moron would
have to do is stop smoking killer dope ... but hey, it is good humbling
experience ... experiencing pity for the less fortunate ...

Regards,
JS

Old September 23rd 11, 06:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 9/23/2011 5:42 AM, dave wrote:
On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 19:39:35 -0500, J R wrote:

In my opinion, if you build your own computer from scratch, you can make
it what you want without all that preloaded crap. cuhulin

I have a friend who's a gamer. Whenever he upgrades his gaming machine we
put the old one in the studio and run Ubuntu Studio on it.

Personally, I get a mid-range BCS motherboard and last year's flavor of
the month processor, and an 80 Plus PSU and I'm off. Memory costs
nothing. Linux costs nothing.

My ham radio computer is one of those $200 WalMart boxes from about 5
years ago.

Ubuntu is for windows morons who can't run a true unix/linux ...
slackware is where it's at! Morons running windows flavored linux are
just disgusting ...

Regards,
JS

Old September 24th 11, 02:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 23, 7:50*am, dave wrote:

I find it way easier to use than Windows, but then again I have
congenital brain damage.

Are you 0baMa0?