Old December 8th 11, 05:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Antenna

You Guys are going to make me put my long wire backup, it blew down during
the last Typhoon

And I have just been too lazy/busy to put it back up!

--
Burr
From The Gardens

Old December 8th 11, 04:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12/7/11 23:14 , Burr wrote:
You Guys are going to make me put my long wire backup, it blew down during
the last Typhoon

And I have just been too lazy/busy to put it back up!

We've been getting gale force winds, here in Chicago, the last
couple of seasons. Not exactly a typhoon, but tapping on 80kts on a
good day.

I suspended my random wires from multiple points, so the maximum
length of unsupported wire was less than 3m.

Haven't had to put one back up since.

Old December 8th 11, 06:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Dec 8, 8:26*am, "D. Peter Maus" wrote:
On 12/7/11 23:14 , Burr wrote:

You Guys are going to make me put my long wire backup, it blew down during
the last Typhoon

And I have just been too lazy/busy to put it back up!

* We've been getting gale force winds, here in Chicago, the last
couple of seasons. Not exactly a typhoon, but tapping on 80kts on a
good day.

* I suspended my random wires from multiple points, so the maximum
length of unsupported wire was less than 3m.

* Haven't had to put one back up since.

* p

My two Long Wire Shortwave Antennas stayed-up
in the recent Wind Storm; but the FM [KXSR 91.7]
& Cellphone Antenna Tower on Mount Elizabeth
http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/loc...ain-Harte.html
above Twain Harte, CA came down.
http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/loc...e-Service.html

The Wind Storm knocked-out Power across the
Foothills for days with Trees coming down; and
http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/loc...-Restored.html
blocking roads and crushing homes.
http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/loc...ther-Lode.html
Old December 11th 11, 01:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Thu, 08 Dec 2011 13:14:51 +0800, Burr wrote:

You Guys are going to make me put my long wire backup, it blew down
during the last Typhoon

And I have just been too lazy/busy to put it back up!

Have you tried a horizontal loop? I am quite amazed at mine and I'm
pretty sure I'll never put up another random wire. Mine is a full wave at
80m and has great reduced noise performance all the way to 0.53 Mhz
(lower end of BCB). You need a true BalUn to reduce noise across that
wide a range (it'll receive all the way past the top of HF 30 MHz). MFJ
has baluns for under 20 bucks or roll your own with appropriate ferrite
forms (stolen from old TVs or computers).
Old December 12th 11, 10:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"D. Peter Maus"
I suspended my random wires from multiple points, so the maximum length
of unsupported wire was less than 3m.

Haven't had to put one back up since.

That's a good idea but I can't do that here. I do have an "L" so that helps
but a big old tree keeps getting my wire.

Have a happy

Burr