Old December 30th 11, 10:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default grundig & eton satelit 700

Can someone explain the differences between these two?

Was the Grundig version made when Eton aquired Grundig, just still badged Grundig?

I've read a couple of informative reviews on the Eton, I think it mentioned maybe the way stations locked in or something about separation?

On Ebay and maybe JR's it seems the Grundig is about $100.00 more. The Eton sells for around $260. Is the build quality that different? I have read that the size of the Eton can be attributed to the Vintage look, that it didn't really need to be the size that it is. Is the Grundig model heavier or comparable build quality?

Any answers to this are welcome and appreciated, thank you.

Best regards
Old December 30th 11, 10:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default grundig & eton satelit 750

Oops-thats the 750 Satellit, sorry...
Old December 31st 11, 06:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 30, 4:23*pm, ko57 wrote:
Can someone explain the differences between these two?

Was the Grundig version made when Eton aquired Grundig, just still badged Grundig?

I've read a couple of informative reviews on the Eton, I think it mentioned maybe the way stations locked in or something about separation?

On Ebay and maybe JR's it seems the Grundig is about $100.00 more. *The Eton sells for around $260. *Is the build quality that different? *I have read that the size of the Eton can be attributed to the Vintage look, that it didn't really need to be the size that it is. *Is the Grundig model heavier or comparable build quality?

Any answers to this are welcome and appreciated, thank you.

Best regards

The last real Grundig Satellit 700 was made in Portugal from around
1992 to 1995 . The current model 'Grundig' 750 aka as Eton is
actually a Tecsun HAM-2000 from PRC .
Old December 31st 11, 03:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Thanks for the input. I would think location has something to do with it, but this radio gets nice reviews. Now the latest review @ Amazon-either the guy doesn't have his filters, switches etc. finessed or he got a lemon. I'd send it back. I want to wait to get it-at the end of January, free and clear-not throw one last thing on plastic as it gets paid off-but what the heck I just may.

When I do I'll post my thoughts and my location (s/e Louisiana, 47 miles from the Gulf Coast.

Old January 1st 12, 05:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12/31/11 08:52 , ko57 wrote:
Thanks for the input. I would think location has something to do
with it, but this radio gets nice reviews. Now the latest review @
Amazon-either the guy doesn't have his filters, switches etc.
finessed or he got a lemon. I'd send it back. I want to wait to get
it-at the end of January, free and clear-not throw one last thing on
plastic as it gets paid off-but what the heck I just may.

When I do I'll post my thoughts and my location (s/e Louisiana, 47
miles from the Gulf Coast.

Reviews have been generally good on this receiver, but mixed. Eton has
gotten much of its QC problems under control, so the number of poor
production units is greatly reduced from their first releases in this
country, but make no mistake, this is not a Drake.

And documentation is thin, so service has to be done by Eton. Self
service manuals are not available.

Now, that said, the feature set is good. The design has an eye pleasing
quality, and the radio is a decent radio, as far as it goes.

For the money, you could do a lot worse.

Old January 2nd 12, 04:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

d. Peter, thanks for the input. I am web searching info on the older satellits also.

arthr-I'd read years ago about Grundig from Germany, but did not remember Portugal also.

Charly, I did head over to that blog, he's got a nice blog there.
I do go to eham's site, check their reviews, etc.

Thanks again, will post when I get something. My Kaito 1103 is a pretty good unit, I want to get something with a bit more control without spending a small fortune. I -sometimes- use the accessory "long wire" antenna that comes with it, and at times I use the loc/dist switch to cut back on overload. Allot of the time-probably at night-the antenna isn't needed.

I don't use an outside antenna-I still have a pole I could use from my old tv antenna (no longer have) but am open to trying that eventually if needed.. I have trees around my house-30, 40+ feet high, part of my roof is metal-so will see how things go when I take the plunge...

Thanks again...

Old January 2nd 12, 06:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 1/2/12 09:47 , ko57 wrote:
[...]

Most any external antenna will be an improvement. But depending
on your radio, you may be subject to overload artifacts with too
much antenna. Too much is far worse than too little, in fact.

20 ft of wire may be more than enough for some portables. So,
you'll want to cut and try in order to get the right
length/orientation/elevation for your receiver and your location.

Then, again, a sloper, or variation, may be just what you're
looking for.

And, then, there's getting the signal from the antenna to the
receiver, ie, the transmission line. Matching the antenna to the
transmission line is quite an art form, depending on your intended
bandwidth choices, and the input impedance of your receiver.

Not to create an intimidating number of choices, here, but the
more problems you solve, the more you're able to find to improve
performance.

The good news is that you have many resources available to you.
ARRL manuals, like the Antenna book are invaluable. The Radio
Handbook, The Radio Amateurs Handbook, are also novice to advanced
resources. And then, there are the members of this newsgroup. DXAce
has considerable experience with wire antennae, and matching
transmission lines to them. Kevin has experience modelling antenna
types for your conditions. Brenda Ann has experience with all manner
of receivers/transmitters and antennae. And then there are the
number of experimenters with the experience to guide you into new
territory, with limited budgets in mind.

And experimenting is more than half the fun of the hobby.

But, that's half the fun of the hobby.