Old June 7th 12, 11:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default The Time has come

On Jun 7, 8:30 am, Joe from wrote:
Yeah, we have 8 hour days, Saturdays, Sundays off, protection from the arbitrary whims of management, all due to the unions.

On 6/7/2012 11:21 AM, Arky Bob wrote:

And here lately, Flint and Destroy-It are largely ghettos with
abandoned plants and no prospect of significant recovery, all due to
the unions.

"...ALL due to the unions" you say ???

You seem to have conveniently overlooked the years of poor quality of
the American cars and the fact that the Asians ate our lunch for years.

You further overlook all the people that Henry Ford (the First) brought
to Detroit in the early 1930s that populate "the ghettos" -- well before
the birth of the unions.

A reasonable person would certainly consider those factors.

If you want to get rid of unions, well, fair enough. But what is your
"Plan B"? With no unions, please tell us who will watch out for the
working man's wages, hours worked, health care and protection from
management abuse.

When all is said and done, I bet you still like having Saturdays and
Sundays off and only having to work 8 hours a day -- thanks to the unions.

Old June 8th 12, 02:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 7, 6:18*pm, Joe from Kokomo wrote:
On Jun 7, 8:30 am, Joe from *wrote:
[...]

I don't know why, but a lot of people nowadays don't think that we
need unions because they don't think we have anything to fear from
powerful corporate interests.

Just look at the healthcare debate. Lots of folks are uncomfortable
with government sponsored healthcare, the requirement to buy health
insurance and so on, yet they are completely comfortable to remain at
the mercy of big health insurance providers----despite the fact that
those providers stand to profit directly and immediately from denying
people the healthcare they need, and despite the fact that health
insurance providers have a long, well-documented record of cheating
people out of their healthcare at the moment when they need it most.
I'm completely on board when people say they don't trust the
government. You'll get no argument from me there. But I'm afraid you
lose me when you assume that corporate interests are going to exhibit
a deep and altruistic concern about little ole me at the expense of
their own profits. A man would have to drink one hell of a lot of kool-
aid to believe that.
Old June 9th 12, 03:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 6/8/2012 9:22 AM, Steve wrote:

[...]

Huh?

*I* certainly don't assume "corporate interests are going to exhibit a
deep and altruistic concern about little ole me...", so I'm not sure to
whom you are referring.

Do you remember when they wanted to raise the minimum wage a few years
age, raise it a laughably pitiful small amount.

The howl that Business raised about that could be heard halfway to the
moon.

I don't think anybody has to worry about saying "altruistic" and "Big
Business" in the same sentence.

You also raise an interesting question why the average guy supports
politicians that are against the better interests of the average guy.

Example: Look at all these old geezers on Medicare and Social Security
and yet support Romney and Paul Ryan and their plan to gut Medicare and
Social Security.

Go figure...

Old June 10th 12, 02:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 6/8/2012 9:22 AM, Steve wrote:

[...]

That very famous Circus Maximus,aka as Washaington,DC, has nearly everyone brainwashed by the mass media to such an extent... Need we say more? Nearly like in 'Dumb and Dumber' .