Old August 8th 12, 05:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Geo- magnetic storm in progress

On 8/8/12 06:17 , Joe from Kokomo wrote:
On 8/7/2012 12:46 PM, Beloved Leader wrote:

Thanks for the information. When I observed the transit of Venus back
in June, I used a really dark piece of glass from a welder's mask.
Whatever the number was, it was dark enough that I could not see
surrounding terrain.

Humph! Even an 8 or 10 is "dark enough that I could not see surrounding
terrain."...but that is not a high enough number.

The recommended number is #14...and they are additive if you can't find
a 14.

For the recent transit, my welding supply shop did not have a #14 but
they did have a #10 and #4, which I taped together.

Additional note: Put the #14 glass in FRONT (input side) of your
binoculars. If you put it on the output side, the concentrated heat
could leave you with a face full of shattered glass.

If you're near an observatory, they'll have viewing glasses, certified
for solar events, in the gift shop for about a buck.

They'll also have a public viewing on site.

Old August 8th 12, 05:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 12:38:01 PM UTC-4, D. Peter Maus wrote:
If you're near an observatory, they'll have viewing glasses, certified for solar events, in the gift shop for about a buck. They'll also have a public viewing on site.

Yes, there were local viewing sites, but the lines went on forever. Because of the clouds, the transit could be seen only sporadically. Typical:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrfochs...@N22/lightbox/

Old August 8th 12, 10:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

www.mdonnelly.ie They close for lunch, 1:00 PM to 1:30 PM. (I Likes dat) I wonder if they close for the solar storm too?

Old August 9th 12, 08:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 08/08/2012 09:49 AM, Beloved Leader wrote:
On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 12:38:01 PM UTC-4, D. Peter Maus wrote:
If you're near an observatory, they'll have viewing glasses, certified for solar events, in the gift shop for about a buck. They'll also have a public viewing on site.

Yes, there were local viewing sites, but the lines went on forever. Because of the clouds, the transit could be seen only sporadically. Typical:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrfochs...@N22/lightbox/

It was on the web live

Geo-magnetic storm [email protected] Shortwave 3 October 20th 10 06:18 AM
Antenna progress Art Unwin Antenna 0 July 12th 08 03:40 AM
meltdown in progress an old freid to some a nightmare to steve Policy 0 August 28th 06 04:58 PM
No progress in decades... John Smith Homebrew 138 May 23rd 05 02:32 AM
Geo - Magnetic storm Fred Burgess Shortwave 8 October 29th 03 05:15 AM