Old July 4th 13, 08:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default GPR-90

The GPR-90 is home. This is my 1st tube shortwave radio. Stability is amazing, not used to setting radio china and not having to tough the tuning dial for hours! Will report more on use later. Audio quality is really good.. Tech only did an alignment and replaced two tubes, rest was ok.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...psb6291bb1.jpg

On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:15:57 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 12:33:10 PM UTC-4, Michael Black wrote:

On Tue, 2 Jul 2013, Channel Jumper wrote:

'Michael Black[_2_ Wrote:

;806491']On Mon, 1 Jul 2013, wrote:

-

My restored, aligned GPR-90 is coming home tomorrow - excite to try the

beast on my long wire antenna! Will report later, maybe post a video.

-

I paid $20 for mine at a garage sale last August. I didn't get out to

the

garage sales early, so by the 1pm or so I expected to find little. I

turn

down a street where a sale had been advertised, and a couple of houses

away I could see a shortwave receiver, I couldn't tell what brand or

model, but clearly it was a classic. I get close, it's a TMC GPR-90.. I

figure it will be way over my price range, but I ask and they say "$20".

I say "I expected three or four hundred" and they still said "$20". It

was too good a price to ignore. So I haul it home on foot and bus, the

other plans for the day cancelled.

And it sits there, other things in the way. The rectifier tube is loose

in the base, so I have dig out that box of tubes and hope I have one..

And

the fuseholder is missing, the piece that screws in with the fuse. That

may have come off on the trip home. So until I find those pieces, it's

not even getting turned on.

I don't know if it will need much work. Physically it's in great shape,

maybe a bit of rust on the bottom. No case, but that doesn't bother

me.

I assune that if I'd not come along at that point, it would have been

tossed. There have been garage sales at that house before, but this

time

it was younger people, relatively so, and I guess they were the kids

clearing out the hosue. When I did a search when I got home, I found an

earlier ad from the same area offering a GPR-90, so it had to be them.

They tried at $100 and had no luck, so I was the last call I suspect..

I've been going to garage sales since about 1990. And I never saw

shortwave receivers until one rummage sale in 2006, a Grundig Satellite

500. I find one about every year now, some just average analog

portables

with a band or two, but some digitally tuned and fairly high grade, and

pay almost nothing. I even got a Grundig mini 300 for 2.00, right after

getting a Sony SW-1 for ten dollars. The mini is an odd thing, single

conversion and analog tuning, and not a great receiver, but it has a

frequency counter so no need to fuss with dials. By making it extremely

complicated, the unit becomes much simpler. It's probably as bad as my

hallicracters S-120A I got in 1971, except with the frequency counter

dial, I can actually tune to a specific frequency. The GPR-90 is the

only

tube receiver in the bunch. I would have expected to find a cheap

receiver like the Hallicrafters S-38 or even a Radio Shack DX-150 long

before finding a GPR-90.

Michael

The Generations change.

The old people dies and the young people thinks that they see dollar

signs and that you can get rich off a old broken piece of junk.

When they realize that there is almost no one interested in it, they

either sell it for what they can get out of it, or they throw it in the

garbage.

The dumpsters at some hamfests are full of unwanted boat anchors.

Well you should have been around forty years ago, when the stuff was

really unwanted. It was tubes, it was am only, and nobody wanted it,

which made it cheap. Endless stuff that is now expensive passed around

for little or nothing. And that attritiion helps to make the current

equipment more expensive, since supply has gone down as demand goes up.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Not much call for a AM radio - not much to listen to anymore.

The GPR-90 was a mid-range receiver, not up there with the R388 but better

than a lot of stuff. It's not an "AM radio", it's a shortwave receiver..

And like so many of that era, it lacks a product detector but you can use

it for SSB by turning down the RF gain, turning up the audio gain.

But if you can find a general coverage receiver that does the Amateur HF

bands, there is still a lot to listen to when the bands are open.

Hook it up and enjoy.

If you do not have a amateur radio license, get one.

If you can fix a old radio, I'm sure you can study and pass a couple of

35 question, multiple guess tests...

You are clueless. You haven't noticed me posting in other newsgroups?

I'm sure by your CB handle I've been licensed longer than you, since June

of 1872, and the test was a lot harder here in Canada since it wasn't

aimed at the beginner.

Michael

That is amazing... What type of a Time Travel Machine do you have?

Old July 5th 13, 11:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Monday, July 1, 2013 1:49:47 PM UTC-4, wrote:
My restored, aligned GPR-90 is coming home tomorrow - excite to try the beast on my long wire antenna! Will report later, maybe post a video.

I have owned DX-150s, 160s, Drake R8s, Grundigs, the list goes on and on. None of those get close to the quality or stability of this GPR-90. Of course, the thing is so big it is a pain in the ass to locate in the house, but net of that (maybe I will set it up vertically - would that hurt the tubes in any way?) it is one of if not the best shortwave receiver I have owned. I may keep this one for a while.