Old June 29th 14, 07:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Linux and rx320 update...much needed.

WARNING! RADIO RELATED CONTENT FOLLOWS! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

I was having a tough time installing xclass on newer Linux installs.
Without xclass, rx320 will not run. I stumbled on the solution by a
dedicated (and smart) individual. It is located he

http://longwire.com/?p=47

I copied and pasted the method below. Open a terminal in Linux and then
copy and paste each line at a time. When the line does its job, go on to
the next line until finished.

I love the radio and appreciate all attempts to make the use of it
easier for all.

mike

So – here we go, these are the steps to get your RX320 working on Ubuntu
or Debian:

[ get XClass and RX320, available on Dave's site ]
$ cd
$ mkdir xclass
$ cd xclass
$ wget http://www.w1hkj.com/usercontrib/xclass-0.9.4.tgz
$ wget http://www.w1hkj.com/usercontrib/rx320-0.6.2.tgz

$ tar xzf xclass-0.9.4.tgz
$ tar xzf rx320-0.6.2.tgz

$ sudo apt-get install build-essential
$ sudo apt-get install bison byacc libxext-dev libglu1-mesa-dev
libxpm-dev libxt-dev
$ cd xclass-0.9.4
$ make clean
$ make shared
$ sudo make install

[ test for xc-config installed OK ]

$ xc-config –version
0.9.4

$ xc-config –libs
-L/usr/local/lib -lxclass -lXpm -lXext -lX11 -lXpm

$ cd ../rx320-0.6.2
$ make

[ test the build ]

$ ./rx320

[ if OK then install ] [ see below for serial port errors if any ]

$ sudo make install

[ test the install ]

$ cd
$ rx320

More tips, to actually make your radio work:

The default serial port is /dev/ttyS1 – if there is no such device, you
will get “/dev/ttyS1 is not a tty” In any case, you will likely need to
make sure your user is a member of the “dialout” group, so that you have
access to the correct one:

sudo usermod -a -G dialout username

Log off and back on.

On the RX320 panel, you can right-click on the grey area to get
“configure,” where you can enter the correct port.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged Linuxham, SDR and
Digital on November 15, 2013 by Larry DiGioia.
Post navigation
← Figured it out
Do you love radio?
[...]

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my
reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Old June 30th 14, 04:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 06/29/2014 11:31 AM, m II wrote:
[...]

Thanks. Some cutting and pasting into the Terminal beats paying for
software. And the programs usually work better; if you do have a problem
there are free answers everywhere. Nobody cares if you are a drooler
from the Great Lakes. Mint 16 Mate` here.

Old June 30th 14, 08:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 14-06-30 09:33 AM, dave wrote:

Thanks. Some cutting and pasting into the Terminal beats paying for
software. And the programs usually work better; if you do have a problem
there are free answers everywhere. Nobody cares if you are a drooler
from the Great Lakes. Mint 16 Mate` here.

I was worried the USB to Serial converter cable might have issues, but
it was recognized immediately. So, it looks like the total demise of the
9 pin D connector has been delayed for a while.

Those 25 pin D serial cables were a source of mystery to me. 25 wires
for a SERIAL connection?

The connectors were pretty stupid too. "Let's make them like boat
anchors" said the misanthropic tech..."it will keep them swearing and
tangled for decades!"

The same guy got a job later, making sure that only ONE end of USB
cables were standardized. He also developed all the gizmos that require
three batteries. I can only charge two at a time.

mike

Old June 30th 14, 08:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I noticed there was an issue with my pasting. The message was doubled up
in size...(pasted twice) stupid computers...or worse, stupid operators....

mike

Old July 1st 14, 06:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

m II wrote:
On 14-06-30 09:33 AM, dave wrote:

Thanks. Some cutting and pasting into the Terminal beats paying for
software. And the programs usually work better; if you do have a problem
there are free answers everywhere. Nobody cares if you are a drooler
from the Great Lakes. Mint 16 Mate` here.

I was worried the USB to Serial converter cable might have issues, but
it was recognized immediately. So, it looks like the total demise of the
9 pin D connector has been delayed for a while.

Those 25 pin D serial cables were a source of mystery to me. 25 wires
for a SERIAL connection?

You can account for a great many of them by the phone company
(remember, at one time only _they_ could attach equipment like
modems to their lines) trying to imagine all the different sorts
of signals that might be needed between data terminal equipment
(DTE - like a terminal or a computer) and data communications
equipment (DCE). Synchronous modems needed clock signals,
sometimes going both ways, truly relied on RTS/CTS, and sometimes
provided secondary, low speed channels for such things as
supervisory control; and you could tie in automatic calling
units - ACU's - that could be sent digits as four-bit codes
in order to make outgoing calls. In those days the communications
equipment could be very expensive, especially with the extra
features, so they wanted a standard that would support the
customers paying the really big bucks for the Cadillac
configurations.

The connectors were pretty stupid too. "Let's make them like boat
anchors" said the misanthropic tech..."it will keep them swearing and
tangled for decades!"

I believe the worst sin in the design of the the serial
interface - the RS232 standard, for short - was making it
asymmetric. Using a symmetric standard that did not differentiate
between who's what on either end, and had for every control
or data signal going one way an equivalent going the other
way, with perhaps special connectors that automatically created
a crossover when installed (stepped connector, male at one extreme,
female at the other?), would have made things so much simpler
down the road. How many pins are used is a minor thing - just
drop down to a reduced size connector, like we do with the DB9,
for simpler configurations - but asymmetry caused, and still
causes, innumerable problems.

The same guy got a job later, making sure that only ONE end of USB
cables were standardized. He also developed all the gizmos that require
three batteries. I can only charge two at a time.

Murphy's ******* son Phucupius.

mike

Old July 1st 14, 06:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 1:04:26 AM UTC-4, George Cornelius wrote:
m II wrote:

On 14-06-30 09:33 AM, dave wrote:

[...]

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: And Murphy's son's wunderkind-offspring (called Springinbed) created ISDN ... and there was an even a bigger mess lying ahead.

More fun with the Ten-Tec RX320 Steve Shortwave 15 February 25th 07 07:04 AM
Full update needed to cover all BBC WS language services (start and stop dates) Max Power Shortwave 0 December 22nd 05 11:31 AM
Linux RX 320 controller update m II Shortwave 0 September 7th 04 04:40 AM
Ten Tec RX320 Michael Bryant Shortwave 0 July 6th 03 05:39 AM
WTB: Ten Tec RX320 Michael Bryant Shortwave 0 July 6th 03 04:30 AM