Old August 11th 14, 02:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Have numbers stations gone higher tech?

A bit of insomnia radio. Early this morning, 8/11 at 2:14-2:19 PDT
(9:14 UTC?), I woke up and decided to retune my radio to get Radio Aus.
(from 15240 down to 9580kHz)

Switching the MHz knob down to 9 MHz, I ended up on 9239 kHz. There was
the familiar lady calling out numbers in Spanish, three to five digits
on an AM signal.

But instead of a long recital of numbers, there was a beep (two tone?),
a silence, then a short transmission of an AFSK or APSK signal at a
fairly high baud rate (for radio). 1200 baud or so. (I wasn't going
to get up and stumble around with my o'scope at Two in the morning).

Looks like there's an app for that (clandestine communcation), now.

Mark Zenier

NPR program on numbers stations bpuharic Shortwave 47 July 23rd 10 07:43 PM
Numbers stations diveman Shortwave 1 September 4th 07 03:22 AM
SWL Numbers Stations dxAce Shortwave 3 May 18th 05 12:07 AM
Do numbers stations still exist? What number stations have beenfound via DX... N8KDV Shortwave 1 July 6th 03 08:01 PM
Do numbers stations still exist? What number stations have been found via DX... Simon Mason Shortwave 0 July 6th 03 04:49 PM