Old October 15th 14, 12:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Wild solar / HF conditions

G1 geo-magnetic storm. However, the biggest thing today is the very long
duration M class solar event. The magnetic flux index has spent over 3
hours in the M range. I tuned to 10 meters just before sunset and heard a
Japanese station very well. Longest M class event I have seen. Waiting for
NASA analysis / report.

DX Ace. Here it is. Use the University of Twente SDR and tune to 6120 kHz
at 2300 UT sign on and the station is PBS Xinjiang in Urumqi and they play
the "East is Red" interval signal.It is loud and clear on this frequency on
the radio in Holland.

Jim (MI)
Old October 15th 14, 12:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RF Collins wrote in
:

G1 geo-magnetic storm. However, the biggest thing today is the very
long duration M class solar event. The magnetic flux index has spent
over 3 hours in the M range. I tuned to 10 meters just before sunset
and heard a Japanese station very well. Longest M class event I have
seen. Waiting for NASA analysis / report.

DX Ace. Here it is. Use the University of Twente SDR and tune to 6120
kHz at 2300 UT sign on and the station is PBS Xinjiang in Urumqi and
they play the "East is Red" interval signal.It is loud and clear on
this frequency on the radio in Holland.

Jim (MI)

BTW I tuned to 6120 kHz on the home radio and could just hear the station.
There is a strong religious broadcaster nearby on this freq. Did not try 7260 today.

Anyway, any of the PBS Xinjiang / Urumqi transmitters that start at 2300UT
should have it. The language listed for 6120 is Uighur and the 7260 I heard
the first time shows Chinese for the language.They play a tone for 5 minutes
before the hour, time pips on hour, then the interval signal. Good luck.
Old October 15th 14, 12:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RF Collins wrote in
:

RF Collins wrote in
:

G1 geo-magnetic storm. However, the biggest thing today is the very
long duration M class solar event. The magnetic flux index has spent
over 3 hours in the M range. I tuned to 10 meters just before sunset
and heard a Japanese station very well. Longest M class event I have
seen. Waiting for NASA analysis / report.

DX Ace. Here it is. Use the University of Twente SDR and tune to 6120
kHz at 2300 UT sign on and the station is PBS Xinjiang in Urumqi and
they play the "East is Red" interval signal.It is loud and clear on
this frequency on the radio in Holland.

I should say - on the radio in the Netherlands.

Old October 15th 14, 03:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RF Collins wrote:

G1 geo-magnetic storm. However, the biggest thing today is the very long
duration M class solar event. The magnetic flux index has spent over 3
hours in the M range. I tuned to 10 meters just before sunset and heard a
Japanese station very well. Longest M class event I have seen. Waiting for
NASA analysis / report.

DX Ace. Here it is. Use the University of Twente SDR and tune to 6120 kHz
at 2300 UT sign on and the station is PBS Xinjiang in Urumqi and they play
the "East is Red" interval signal.It is loud and clear on this frequency on
the radio in Holland.

Unfortunately, no sound card in this computer!

Old October 15th 14, 10:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote in
:

RF Collins wrote:

G1 geo-magnetic storm. However, the biggest thing today is the very
long duration M class solar event. The magnetic flux index has spent
over 3 hours in the M range. I tuned to 10 meters just before sunset
and heard a Japanese station very well. Longest M class event I have
seen. Waiting for NASA analysis / report.

DX Ace. Here it is. Use the University of Twente SDR and tune to 6120
kHz at 2300 UT sign on and the station is PBS Xinjiang in Urumqi and
they play the "East is Red" interval signal.It is loud and clear on
this frequency on the radio in Holland.

Unfortunately, no sound card in this computer!

Conditions are improving, so should be able to hear it direct soon. At
least we know there was propagation one day on 7260 kHz. 7310 kHz is
another freq on the list I might try. 6120 should be better here as days
shorten.

Jim

Old October 16th 14, 10:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RF Collins wrote:

dxAce wrote in
:

RF Collins wrote:

G1 geo-magnetic storm. However, the biggest thing today is the very
long duration M class solar event. The magnetic flux index has spent
over 3 hours in the M range. I tuned to 10 meters just before sunset
and heard a Japanese station very well. Longest M class event I have
seen. Waiting for NASA analysis / report.

DX Ace. Here it is. Use the University of Twente SDR and tune to 6120
kHz at 2300 UT sign on and the station is PBS Xinjiang in Urumqi and
they play the "East is Red" interval signal.It is loud and clear on
this frequency on the radio in Holland.

Unfortunately, no sound card in this computer!

Conditions are improving, so should be able to hear it direct soon. At
least we know there was propagation one day on 7260 kHz. 7310 kHz is
another freq on the list I might try. 6120 should be better here as days
shorten.

We'll have to keep an eye on it.

Old October 16th 14, 11:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

RF Collins wrote:

dxAce wrote in
:

RF Collins wrote:

[...]

I'm not a big fan of winter, but it certainly makes for some decent DX. The AC
unit is out of the window here, one window to seal up yet, one storm window to
put into my main door, and a final check of my antenna connections and other
than the leaves we'll be set to go!