RadioBanter

-   -   Tecsun PL-990 (future radio concept) (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/217874-tecsun-pl-990-future-radio-concept.html)

[email protected] July 13th 15 04:15 PM

Tecsun PL-990 (future radio concept)

Hello everyone, does anyone have any opinions on what Tecsun should implement into their next elite portable? I am planning to send Tecsun a design concept to help them design the best modern portable shortwave receiver on the market. Suggestions from current owners of PL-880, PL-680 and PL-660 units would be especially useful.

Michael Black[_2_] July 13th 15 09:24 PM

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015, wrote:

Hello everyone, does anyone have any opinions on what Tecsun should
implement into their next elite portable? I am planning to send Tecsun a
design concept to help them design the best modern portable shortwave
receiver on the market. Suggestions from current owners of PL-880,
PL-680 and PL-660 units would be especially useful.

I am reminded of a cover of Popular Electronics in the summer of 1971 or
maybe it was 1972. They had an artist's rendition of a CB set, I think
they said it was a portrayal of the CB set of the future. SOmeone wrote
in a couple of months later to point out that it lacked a volume control.
So they said something about how it had some feature to take in the
surrounding sounds and adjust the volume accordingly.

In other words, they were just drawing some set, and hadn't paid attention
to the details.

What makes you qualified to set out the design specifications for a future
shortwave radio? And why would they pay any attention to you?

At best, owners writing in and saying "you know this is a good set except
for..." and if enough people found the same problem, they are likely to
fix that the next time. But they aren't likely to listen to someone
coming in the front door.

Michael

[email protected] July 13th 15 10:35 PM

Tecsun PL-990 (future radio concept)

Yes, Tecsun may not listen, however, you missed my point. I was not talking about designing a new radio from scratch but rather,
a concept that the company may take a few ideas off of. For exam

[email protected] July 13th 15 10:46 PM

Tecsun PL-990 (future radio concept)

(Ctd from previous post) -ple, If someone wanted a dot matrix display, I would first look through the specs of dozens of cost effective displays before putting any particular one into the design. Also, while I am no master, I understand the processes in the making in the designing of DSP circuitry.

I have taken off my original post and am leaving this group for good. With all the trolling and bantering here, I will never recommend this group and will instead forward hobbyists to the SWLing Post and other places of the likes.