Old August 29th 16, 05:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Sputniknews.

www.sputniknews.com Media Blackout: Top Doctor Says Fears Over Hillary's Health Not A 'Conspiracy'
Old August 29th 16, 02:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

DhiaDuit wrote:

www.sputniknews.com Media Blackout: Top Doctor Says Fears Over Hillary's Health Not A 'Conspiracy'

I have Sputnik radios, that is, radios which were in use and capable of
recieving the Sputnik transmissions. My uncle gave me his S-40A which
was theoretically capable of recieving both Sputnik frequencies,
although it's not very sensitive at 20 Mc and downright sleepy at 40 Mc.
I never thought to ask him if he tried.

The SX-100 came with a service manual, with a date in late September,
1957 written on it. Surely the day it was purchased. A few weeks later
the Soviets earned worldwide attention with their successful orbiting of
Sputnik. I can't imagine the ham who bought the SX-100 not trying to
scan around 20 Mc for Sputnik. Bet he heard it, too.

The US Navy still had my 1944 S-36 in late 1957. Still a capable
reciever on it's low bands. It was re-tubed in 1962, so there's a good
chance it was in active use when Sputnik went up.

Anyone else have Sputnik radios?

Old August 29th 16, 03:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 6:37:19 AM UTC-7, analogdial wrote:
Anyone else have Sputnik radios?

I think it would be really cool to get a Soviet short wave radio from that era. It is pretty well documented that the July/August/September 1957 issues of "Radio" magazine (for ham radio hobbyists in the USSR) had information on the upcoming launch and gave the frequencies to monitor the telemetry (around 20 Mc/s). They successfully kept that information from the Americans by publishing the magazines in Russian instead of English.