Old November 14th 16, 06:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default AOR 7030+

After decades of service...and excellent performance, at
that...it looks like the tuning encoder on my 7030+ has snuffed it.

AOR no longer services the radio. AOR UK is out of business. And
Bourns, which made the encoder, discontinued it some time ago.

So, $1800 paperweight?

Or anyone have any assistance?

Old November 14th 16, 07:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
joe joe is offline

D. Peter Maus wrote:

After decades of service...and excellent performance, at
that...it looks like the tuning encoder on my 7030+ has snuffed it.

AOR no longer services the radio. AOR UK is out of business. And
Bourns, which made the encoder, discontinued it some time ago.

So, $1800 paperweight?

Or anyone have any assistance?

If it were my radio, I'd try to fit a new encoder.

Old November 14th 16, 07:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 1:25:42 PM UTC-6, joe wrote:
D. Peter Maus wrote:

After decades of service...and excellent performance, at
that...it looks like the tuning encoder on my 7030+ has snuffed it.

AOR no longer services the radio. AOR UK is out of business. And
Bourns, which made the encoder, discontinued it some time ago.

So, $1800 paperweight?

Or anyone have any assistance?

If it were my radio, I'd try to fit a new encoder.

AOR Tuning Encoder for sale. A bunch of info there.
Old November 14th 16, 07:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D. Peter Maus wrote:

After decades of service...and excellent performance, at
that...it looks like the tuning encoder on my 7030+ has snuffed it.

AOR no longer services the radio. AOR UK is out of business. And
Bourns, which made the encoder, discontinued it some time ago.

So, $1800 paperweight?

Or anyone have any assistance?

Can't give any specifically useful advice but sci.electronics.repair is
still somewhat active.

Old November 14th 16, 08:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mon, 14 Nov 2016, D. Peter Maus wrote:

After decades of service...and excellent performance, at that...it looks
like the tuning encoder on my 7030+ has snuffed it.

AOR no longer services the radio. AOR UK is out of business. And Bourns,
which made the encoder, discontinued it some time ago.

So, $1800 paperweight?

Or anyone have any assistance?

I don't know what the output is (I assume two pulses 90degrees apart, the
leading one indicating direction), but it can't be too hard to duplicate.
Maybe it means a different tuning rate as the knob turns. People did make
them in the early days of synthesizers, so that's also an option. The
worst scenario would be having to mount a new encoder outboard because
nothing fits physically.

YOu can duplicate it with an oscillator and two buttons, one for up and
one for down, though I know that's not nearly as good as a knob.

Stepping motors have the proper output when used in reverse, turn the
shaft and you get the right signal, but I'm not sure you can get them with
enough steps per turn to be a satisfying replacement.

Michael

Old November 14th 16, 11:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 1:50:18 PM UTC-5, D. Peter Maus wrote:
After decades of service...and excellent performance, at
that...it looks like the tuning encoder on my 7030+ has snuffed it.

AOR no longer services the radio. AOR UK is out of business. And
Bourns, which made the encoder, discontinued it some time ago.

So, $1800 paperweight?

Or anyone have any assistance?

Just Googled it: Bourns part number is ENA1j-B28-L00100(l). It is about 40 to 50 USD.

FS AOR 7030+ [email protected] Swap 0 May 20th 08 12:15 AM
AR-7030 or NRD-545 Gisle Vanem Shortwave 16 October 18th 06 05:34 PM
AOR-AR-7030 FS Used David Shortwave 0 November 26th 05 07:24 PM
AOR 7030+ vs JRC NRD 545 D consigliori Shortwave 17 August 21st 05 01:34 AM
AOR 7030 Richard Shortwave 3 May 30th 05 09:49 PM