RadioBanter

-   -   428kHz airport beacon. (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/279593-428khz-airport-beacon.html)

N9NEO[_2_] October 23rd 19 01:35 AM

428kHz airport beacon.

I work for a small company that builds tracking devices. One of the devices operates at 430kHz It is a TRF receiver so its tuned to one frequency. I would like to retune to 428kHz and try and get the 25W beacon at Pocahantas in Iowa. I am in New Hampshire so a little bit of a trek.

I have a 3' AM loop that I can hook front end to. I can build a bigger loop no problem up to about 8'x 8'

I would like to hear your comments concerning the probability of success with smaller loop, and any other input you may have on antennas and best propagation times and so forth. I am also interested in hearing if others have DX the beacons with any luck.

Thanks,
Bob
N9NEO

N9NEO[_2_] October 23rd 19 12:08 PM

428kHz airport beacon.

I have been able to get about -107 dBm tuning so fairly sensitive.