Old July 2nd 03, 03:58 AM
C.M. Hobbs

Default "data" on shortwave

While listening to the radio this evening, I came across multiple stations
that sounded as if data was being transfered across them. I've always
heard these stations before, but for some reason tonight they really
interested me.

I remember seeing in AES or MFJ sometime back, a little device that would
decode data coming across shortwave frequencies. Perhaps it was merely a
DTMF decoder, but I seem to remember it promising to decode "data" in
general.

I rummaged through my old catalogs and magazines, only to produce nothing.
I also ran through my schematics, and a search on google yielded nothing.
Am I dreaming these things up?

I imagine that there are different data types being transmitted, and some
may even be encrypted. I think that would pose a problem for this little
device (whatever it may be).

Has anyone heard of, or seen such an animal?

Regards,
-chris

--
C.M. Hobbs [KD5RYO]
http://www.destroyallmachines.net
Old July 2nd 03, 10:15 AM
Robert

"C.M. Hobbs" wrote

I rummaged through my old catalogs and magazines, only to produce nothing.
I also ran through my schematics, and a search on google yielded nothing.
Am I dreaming these things up?

Hehehe - no. But, you don't really need one, either, if you have a
soundcard. download something like Hamscope and run a line from your radio
to the line-in on your soundcard.
MFJ _does_ make a 'box' that does this, the MFJ462B - it's gotten
mixed reviews on eham.net. There's also a the RigBlaster that does transmit
and recieve, if you're planning on getting into it as a ham; MFJ makes a box
like the RigBlaster, too.

---

Old July 2nd 03, 01:45 PM
C.M. Hobbs

Robert wrote:

i'm a ham already. shooting for my general class come next month too! i
was just curious to know what the data coming across the airwaves was.
i'll give the soundcard idea a shot. it sounds more cost effective than
the "box".

thanks!
-chris (KD5RYO)

"C.M. Hobbs" wrote

Old July 2nd 03, 06:39 PM
Sasquatch

Hey!
Post your results, I'm interested as well.
I've often heard various noises as data, but wondered where to start.

Good luck on your upgrade, I'm a general as well. You'll have a blast with
the HF frequencies.

Old July 4th 03, 09:23 PM
C.M. Hobbs

after looking at that little box, i'm considering shelling out the money for
it. it looks pretty interesting. i'm currently looking into the software
side as well, i'll definately post my results!

-chris

Old July 7th 03, 10:11 PM
Jeff KG6RIF

Check out my article on PC connected shortwave receivers. It runs through
some of the data streams available on HF and how to decode them with what
software.

http://arstechnica.com/guide/audio-v...ortwave-1.html

--
Jeff Wilson