Old July 3rd 03, 04:35 AM
J&D Schnoor

Default Looking for a portable receiver with RDS and SCA

As the above subject line indicates, I would like to find a portable
receiver that has RDS and SCA. I suspect that I won't find both and will
have to settle for a radio with RDS and then have it modified for SCA. The
last time I looked the Sangean ATS-909 (and the Radio Shack version) had
RDS, but I don't recall seeing any others at that time. Tonight while
surfing the web I found a Roberts R9940 with RDS. Since this is made for
the UK market, will the RDS function be fully compatible with RDS used in
the US? Also, can someone refresh my memory, is MW in the UK in 9 kHz
steps? If so, are most radios today designed in such a way that the end
user can select either 9 or 10 kHz steps? Are there any other portable
radios with RDS? (Sorry, this isn't exactly "shortwave", but I have seen
helpful hints here in the past.).

Old July 4th 03, 04:24 PM
Terp

"J&D Schnoor" wrote in message ...
As the above subject line indicates, I would like to find a portable
receiver that has RDS and SCA. I suspect that I won't find both and will
have to settle for a radio with RDS and then have it modified for SCA. The
last time I looked the Sangean ATS-909 (and the Radio Shack version) had
RDS, but I don't recall seeing any others at that time. Tonight while
surfing the web I found a Roberts R9940 with RDS. Since this is made for
the UK market, will the RDS function be fully compatible with RDS used in
the US? Also, can someone refresh my memory, is MW in the UK in 9 kHz
steps? If so, are most radios today designed in such a way that the end
user can select either 9 or 10 kHz steps? Are there any other portable
radios with RDS? (Sorry, this isn't exactly "shortwave", but I have seen
helpful hints here in the past.).

If I were you, I would email SimplyRadios.com which specializes in
exporting Roberts Radios from the UK. As you must know, many - but not
all - Roberts portable receivers are made by Sangean. If manufactured
by Sangean, you can be certain the RDS is compatible and that there is
a 9kHz-10kHz switch. I believe the contact person at SimplyRadios is
Chris Ellis. He is very helpful.