Old July 4th 03, 12:52 AM
Don Souter

Default Drag queen seeks to rule Canada's right wing party

Reuters) - Toronto's best-known drag queen, famous for
six-inch heels, slinky dresses and a failed bid to become the city's mayor,
said on Thursday she wanted to join the race to head the right-wing
opposition Canadian Alliance party.

"I am a supermodel for a super party," said Enza 'Supermodel" Anderson. "I
don't care what you call me but please put in supermodel."

The 37-year-old, who has worked as a singer in Toronto's largely gay Church
St. district, launched her campaign at Toronto City Hall wearing a short
maroon dress, her signature stilettos, a blond wig and bright red lipstick.

Dismissing the Alliance as "racist, supporting bigoted attitudes and an
anti-gay stance," she said the party needed to become more diverse to beat
the Liberals. "I am the one to do it," said Anderson, who prefers to be
called a "she."

"As a new leader of the right, I plan to unite the opposition. Let me tell
'ya, there are a lot of sexy MPs (members of parliament) I'd like to unite
right now."

The Alliance came a poor second to the Liberals in last year's federal
election. The party will next year vote in a new leader -- or perhaps
reelect outgoing leader Stockwell Day, who quit this week to allow for a
leadership race.

But Anderson's platform may not match the tough-on-crime Alliance. She
wants
affordable housing, better public transport and decriminalization of
marijuana and prostitution.

"Why is it that when a drag queen runs for office, people consider it a
joke? But if (Stockwell Day) shows up in a wet suit or if the prime
minister
of Canada shows up in a dinghy, it's considered serious and worthy of
national attention," she said, referring to recent media pictures of
federal
leaders.

Anderson, who says her political platform is "much more than my six-inch
heels," sashayed into politics last November and won 15,000 votes in the
Toronto mayoralty race.

That placed her third on a slate of 25 candidates for the job, won -- as
expected -- by flamboyant Mel Lastman.

Lastman later hit the headlines with ill-timed comments that may have
helped
scupper Toronto's bid to host the 2008 Olympic Games. He balked at the idea
of traveling to Africa to lobby for the bid, admitting he was afraid of
being boiled in a pot with natives dancing around him.

Anderson said she had nearly collected the C$25,000 and 300 signatures
needed to be eligible to run to lead the Alliance.

If she doesn't win, she will continue to work odd jobs. But she said she
had
stopped doing drag shows now that her political career seems to be
blossoming.

Day, quoted in the National Post newspaper earlier this month, refused to
rule out any candidate for his job.

"We're a very open party," Day said. "I'm just pleased that we continue to
attract people from across the spectrum."

a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
FS: Palomar 225 Pack Rat CB 12 September 16th 03 06:43 PM
I also need Diy plans for a 300 watt linear BR549 CB 2 September 16th 03 06:37 PM
Drag queen seeks to rule Canada's right wing party Don Souter General 1 July 4th 03 07:58 AM
Drag queen seeks to rule Canada's right wing party Don Souter Scanner 0 July 4th 03 12:52 AM