Old July 6th 03, 05:39 PM
Radioman390

Default Shortage looming? Will it affect electronics prices?

Nearly every device that uses electricity has internal components like
capaicitors,. transformers and resistors. Billions upon billions of devices
have been made and each one contains resistors.
A resistor, of course, contains RESISTANCE, which is measured in ohms.

Now figure this: billions of devices, and let's say each contains 20 resistors,
with an average resistance of 1 megOHM (million ohms, which is a lot as far
as resistance goes, especially these days), which means 20 megOHMS per device.
Add to that the resistance distributed in wires across the world, and we're
talking pretty big numbers, guys.

Trillions and trillions of megohms distributed through the civilized world
means our natural supplies will soon dry up. Now I did a Googler search anmd
ASK JEEVES too but I couldn't find out where these ohms are mined, but they've
got to run out soon. What if our National Strategic Reserve of OHMS (NSRO) is
depleted, or worse, attacked by terrorists? Our civilization would be doomed.
And can we be sure that the ohms stored in the reserve are actually there (like
gold in Ft. Knox?).
Or has our government been lying to us again? Maybe they're out?
Or can they synthesize ohms out of basic elements, and what are those elements?

Of course, nobody has looked into the environmental effects of these ohms once
they go into the recycling cycle. Could ohms in our water supply be the cause
of cancer? Or dementia? Or leprosy?

Those of you who have many radios and TVs and other electronic devices should
thank your lucky stars you bought before the prices spiraled upward.

But all this brings me to the point of this post. Ohm';s law tells us E-IR, but
if there is no voltage(E), then the I and R must be zero as well (at least one
of them, anyway). So if there is nobody trying to measure R (by applying
voltage to the circuit under test), does that mean that there is no R unless
someone is looking for it? It sort of disappears unles you want it. Could this
principle be used to feed hungry mouths around the world and thus bring about
a world peace?

This is a philosophical question just like the tree falling in the forest
enigma. Help, please!
Old July 6th 03, 07:26 PM
Steve Willie

I for one, am starting to farm my own ohms in the backyard. I'm tired of
paying the high prices for other products such as gasoline, and I don't wish
to get caught with my resistors down around my ankles when an ohn shortage
occurs. They're easily raised, however be sure that if you're also farming
amps, that the two are far enough apart to not cross polinate.

Old July 6th 03, 08:18 PM
Radioman390

I for one, am starting to farm my own ohms in the backyard. I'm tired of
paying the high prices for other products such as gasoline, and I don't wish
to get caught with my resistors down around my ankles when an ohn shortage
occurs. They're easily raised,

Thanks for starting me on a new search path. I checked under 'farmers" and
found all types in the USDA website, but no Ohm Farmers.

I then tried the Pennsylvania Dept. of Agriculture, which as you older guys
know, used to register foods, but again a dead end.

On "cooking.com" there was a reference to "ohm on the range"
as a popular song about food. ("Yes we have no bananas" was another one).
"fried green Tomatos" too.

Does this clear up the issue?

Old July 6th 03, 10:08 PM
Frank Dresser

[...]

It's worse than you fear. We've been running an irresponsible deficit ever
since the day we put the "owe" in "ohms". I dread the day the debt comes
due. Perhaps you're familiar with the phrase -- "Resistance is Futile".

Frank Dresser

Old July 7th 03, 12:36 AM
Hipot Al

I have solved the riddle of the depreciating ohms supply. Watch some early
morning TV. They are selling it in liquid form to promote prostate health.
It will also clean anything but meat (the dreaded "Skin Effect").

From: (Radioman390)
Date: 7/6/03 12:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time
[...]

Oh boy, You think to much. Have a drink.

Old July 7th 03, 12:42 AM
Radioman390

Oh boy, You think to much. Have a drink

I've had a lot.

Old July 7th 03, 12:44 AM
Radioman390

I have solved the riddle of the depreciating ohms supply. Watch some early
morning TV. They are selling it in liquid form to promote prostate health.
It will also clean anything but meat (the dreaded "Skin Effect").

All I see after 3AM (but before 5AM) is Ron Jeremy pushing some product that
seems related to prostate health, but not quite. But the "cleaning meat"part
seems related somehow.
Old July 7th 03, 01:39 AM
yp

Now I did a Googler search anmd
ASK JEEVES too but I couldn't find out where these ohms are mined, but they've
got to run out soon.

OHM's are all around us!!!!!! dude
Just say "OHMMMMMMMMM" just like the harry fish nut people.

Old July 7th 03, 02:13 AM
Robert

"yp" wrote in message ...

Now I did a Googler search anmd
ASK JEEVES too but I couldn't find out where these ohms are mined, but

they've
got to run out soon.

OHM's are all around us!!!!!! dude
Just say "OHMMMMMMMMM" just like the harry fish nut people.

I believe Opus said "hairy fish nut", actually. Huh. I can remember
that, but I'll be damned if I can remember where I put the rubber ducky
antenna for my handheld scanner....

Back to the topic...if ohms are in short supply, does that mean
there's a surplus of mhos?

---

Old July 7th 03, 03:50 AM
The Dawn Soliloquy

I need to start watching more of the serial TV programs, such as X-Files.
Myself, tonight I watched (for the 8th time or so) Magnolia, a movie featuring
(near the end) an uncommon (but oddly enough true at other times) form of
precipitation. http://www.newline.com/sites/magnolia/
http://garygordonproductions.com/magnolia.html

The opening of the movie discusses some very perverse coincidents, unique in
their presentations, likely untrue. (though stranger things undoubtedly
happen).

The streetlight thing happens to me also. Believe it or not (not Ripley's
either), the internet might yield some stories on this topic. The usual
explanation (by non-electricians), is that car headlights flashing on the
sensor turned the light off, if this were the case every lightning storm would
have all the street lights out. The likely cause is much more mundane, I still
prefer the "paranormal" explanations. Halloween would not have been any fun
with some of these pragmatic killjoys around.

Regards.

In article ,
(Radioman390) wrote:
We have (at work) discovered the color of electricity, it has a black sooty
appearance, every time the insulation of a wire is abraded and the
electricity

AHA!
In watching an old XFiles show there was reference to this.
As we all know (or surmise) our government "leaks" information on new
technologies and scientific findings to people in favor. For instance, Tom
Clancy has publicly exposed new technologies in several of his technothrillers.

Similarly in one of the XFiles, Mulder tells someone that the fine dust that
accumulates on TV screens has no chemical identity...that is to say its makeup
is unknown. Was this a leak of a national security knowledge? No known chemical
composition. Interesting.

In another episode, Mulder tells his female co-worker that if street lights go
on or off as you approach them, that it means you were abducted by aliens. It
happens to me, but I have no recollection of it, but I do have dreams of being
chased a lot.

Thanks for your insight.

Never say never.
Nothing is absolute.