Old July 10th 03, 12:02 PM
Radioman390

Default Govt. still recommends anti-radiation pills

Although I bought a bottle of this stuff (another brand...from my local
drugstore) after terrorist alerts about attacking nuclear powerr plants almost
a year ago (I live 22 miles downwind of one), I am surprised that this stuff is
still marketed.

In case you are interested, this is a link to one site. I DO NOT recommend them
or disapprove of them, but pass it along as a bit of information. If you
disapprove of commercial links, do not click on
it.http://www.nukepills.com/pages/749857/index.htm

Old July 11th 03, 10:11 AM
Igor Gros

Nukepills are nonsense.
There is no effective protection against radiation and against
some radioactive elements.
(Maybye potassium cyanide will work ;-))

Old July 11th 03, 01:48 PM
tedpeterson8

Nukepills are nonsense.

They are very effective towards protecting the thyroid gland, but only the
thyroid gland.

To say they are nonsense altogether is, well, nonsense. During the Cold War,
the Soviets distributed them en masse to their subjects, apparently determining
they had some efficacy. Our government felt that nationwide distribution,
while tactically adviseable, would be "alarming" to the citizenry and so the
idea was quietly shelved. The pills are probably much cheaper ordered through
a drugstore than from anywhere else though.
Old July 11th 03, 04:30 PM
GrtPmpkin32

They are very effective towards protecting the thyroid gland, but only the
thyroid gland.

To say they are nonsense altogether is, well, nonsense.

Protecting my thyroid gland, and only my thyroid gland, doesn't seem like a
particularly successful or efficient means of shielding myself against
everything else high radiation can do to the entire body.
Just because the Soviets distributed nukepills to its citizenry doesn't mean
there is any good reason for having done so.
But the real point is that these things are being sold to play on fears of an
ignorant public, and there is very little science behind it to rationalize the
cost or usefulness of them.
It is, in fact, nonsense.
Linus
Old July 11th 03, 07:37 PM
Joe Strain

The authjor of this post is in error

One of the principal radioactive derivatives of a Nuclear explosion or
thermo nuclear is an isotope of iodine that is radioactive, but otherwise
identical ti ordianry iodine.

Our body ties up iodine in specific quantities in order to assure it's
presence to make a necessary hormone, thyroxine...

It will make it with the FIRST iodine that gets there...if it's iodine from
commercial Potassium iodide (that's not radioactive) it will NOT sequester
additional iodine (radioactive or not) until an iodine deficit develops...

If the body always has a daily supply of non radioactive iodine from such
pills, any contaminant radioactive iodine will be ignored and pass thru the
body rather than concentrated in the thyroid for making thyroxine....

It is the concentration (accumulation in one small spot) that causes thyroid
cancer if that iodine is radioactive

yodar

Old July 11th 03, 08:07 PM
tedpeterson8

Subject: Govt. still recommends anti-radiation pills
From: (GrtPmpkin32)
Date: 7/11/03 10:30 AM Central Daylight Time

Protecting my thyroid gland, and only my thyroid gland, doesn't seem like a
particularly successful or efficient means of shielding myself against
everything else high radiation can do to the entire body.
Just because the Soviets distributed nukepills to its citizenry doesn't mean
there is any good reason for having done so.
But the real point is that these things are being sold to play on fears of an
ignorant public, and there is very little science behind it to rationalize
the
cost or usefulness of them.
It is, in fact, nonsense.
Linus

Woah! Somebody **** in yer Wheaties this morning?
Take a deep breath.

You've made a number of logical errors here, if not outright fabrication.

The original claim was that there is no benefit whatsoever to potassium iodide
in the event of a nuclear contamination type event. This is demonstrably
false, in reality it is well documented and has been repeatedly shown to be the
case over a number of years. In brief, the thyroid is among the very first
and most sensitive organs affected. For this reason, it would be administered
right away, ideally prior to the event if at all possible - hence the
adviseability for each US citizen or Soviet subject to have a supply at the
ready, at home, and accessible.

Another error is assuming that no other protective measures could, or would, be
exercised in conjunction with the iodine treatment, and therefore, ergo, the
iodine is useless. While this "logic" may win you the no **** award with oak
leaf cluster, it's not one I'd want on my mantle.

That the Soviets (who were serious about "winning" a nuclear exchange during
the Cold War, by the way) issued iodine to their subjects, and our own
government stockpiled huge amounts for issue to our citizenry, illustrates and
corroborates the published medical research.

That the "The End Is Nigh" types prey on the fears of the public to make a
profit is not in question, isn't the question, and wasn't nor isn't the point.

As in most things, the truth is always in the middle. Belittling or outright
derision of long-known civil defense measures seems imprudent at best. Think
before you hit that "send" key next time.