Old July 12th 03, 08:00 AM
WShoots1

Default House Wiring A Good Antenna...

....for the low end of the SW range.

My old mobilehome is metal-sheathed. For my DX-392, I use my old ham antenna,
common-fed 40 and 20 inverted vees. When I use, for convenience, my eTR7 in the
dining area or bathroom, I connect a cliplead between the radio's whip and a
wrought iron light fixture.

I've noticed that, on 3210 kHz, the eTR7 gets better reception than does my
DX-392. Hi

Of course, whenever I use the eTR7 inside, I have to shut off my computer's
monitor. (It should need an FCC license.)

Bill, K5BY
Old July 12th 03, 11:38 AM
WShoots1

I should have added: Although my wrought iron light fixtures are electrically
grounded, they are not at rf ground.

The ground wires roam a bit with the a.c. hot and return wires before it gets
to an earth ground. Thus rf energy captured by the power lines is coupled to
the ground wire.

Of course, I get, besides direct (computer system) and harmonic in-house noises
in the AM/FM(!)/SW bands, I get my neighbors', the power company's, and
others'. G

Bill, K5BY
Old July 12th 03, 09:22 PM
WShoots1

Question: I'm eyeballing placing a randomwire that would cross over some
corrugated aluminium for a few feet. Not touch it, but within a foot or two.
What would this do to the antenna's characteristics?

Thechnically, the aluminum will affect it but for receiving, I wouldn't worry
about it. When I had no options, I never worried about a warp in my antenna
pattern when I used it for transmitting.

I imagine one of the technically active in this group can give you a better
answer.

The only good part of my antenna here is that it runs perpendicular to the high
voltage lines that cross the front and the rear of my 75 foot lot. (My metal
trailer is 65 foot long, barely enough to support the ends of my 40M inverted
vee.)

73,
Bill, K5BY
Old July 17th 03, 07:49 PM
RHF

WS1,

Why use the electrical wiring or fixtures and run the risk and
potential hazard of damage to yourself or the equipment.

Here is Something to Consider:
- - - Try a "Perimeter" (Whole House) Loop Antenna

How To Build It: Near the top of the mobilehome using 4-9" TV
Cable/Twin Lead Stand-Offs and a Insulated Wire for the Antenna
Element. Use a TV 30075 Ohm Matching Transformer and 75 Ohm TV Cable
as a FeedLine to your receiver LO-Z Input. Or, use a second 75300
Ohm Matching Transformer to connect the 75 Ohm Cable to the HI-Z
Inputs or Clipped to the Whip Antenna and a Ground point on the radio.

Low Visibility + Low Noise + Low Cost

NOTE: An Antenna Tuner may be helpful with this Loop Antenna.

~ RHF
..
..
= = = (WShoots1)