Old July 14th 03, 01:18 AM
RFCOMMSYS

Default National HRO ?

Why are the old National radios with coil racks called "HRO"? Was it just
National's model number prefix or is HRO an abbreviation for something? And
what was it about the tuning mechanism that was supposedly so great? (That
tuning knob looks really cool).
Old July 14th 03, 01:40 AM
The Axelrods

RFCOMMSYS wrote:

Why are the old National radios with coil racks called "HRO"? Was it just
National's model number prefix or is HRO an abbreviation for something? And
what was it about the tuning mechanism that was supposedly so great? (That
tuning knob looks really cool).

There was series of radios with the HRO label. Some must date back to the 40's
all the way into the 70's with the HRO500 a great receiver

--
73 and Best of DX
Shawn Axelrod

Visit the AMANDX DX site with info for the new or experienced listener:

http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/index.html

REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER

Old July 14th 03, 01:55 AM
Guessing

Could be -- but see URL:
http://www.io.com/~nielw/nat_list/hro_sr.htm

This very early HRO Model circa 1934 covered 1.7 to 4.0 mc.
3.5 to 7.3 mc.
7.0 to 14.4 mc.
14.0 to 30.0 mc.

Then there is the HOR story --- URL:

http://webhome.idirect.com/~jproc/ve3fab/hro.html

Just Guessin

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"RFCOMMSYS" wrote in message
Why are the old National radios with coil racks called "HRO"? Was it

just
National's model number prefix or is HRO an abbreviation for something?

And
what was it about the tuning mechanism that was supposedly so great?

(That
tuning knob looks really cool).

HRO is, IIRC, an abbreviation for Ham Radio Only, receivers that are set

up
only to receive the amateur bands (80, 40, 20, 15, 10 meter bands).

Old July 14th 03, 02:03 AM
Brian Denley

That old National Radio factory on the Malden/Melrose is still there. It's
a huge old multi-story red brick building that now house several
manufacturing companies and a furniture supplier. When I was a kid, I used
to daydream about owning one of those top of the line HRO-500 beauties every
time I went to that building with my grandfather (my grandmother worked for
a curtain manufactruing company housed in the same complex. I still live
about 1 mile from the site of the old National Radio Company. It's a shame
those American companies that did so much for radio are all out of business
now.

--
Brian Denley
Melrose MA

"Guessing" wrote in message
Another spin on HRO at URL:
http://webhome.idirect.com/~jproc/ve3fab/hro.html

Quote:
WHAT'S IN A NAME
Edited by Jerry Proc VE3FAB

One of the most classic radio receivers ever made was the National HRO.

The
way in which the model number of the receiver was designated is

interesting,
and the story is related by Ed Gable who is on the Board of the Directors

of
the Antique Wireless Association (AWA) and a former employee of the

National
Company.

Old July 15th 03, 04:25 AM
WShoots1

The HRO tuning mechanism is a right angle gear drive with a 0 to 500 counter
built in to the knob and you can spin it,

Tnx JFR for the additiona and clarification.

Did the HRO have two or three stages of RF?

I has very little backlash because of pre-loaded gears

I seem to recall that all military comm gear of that period had those kinds of
gears. Each gear was a pair or "split" with a shared spring. The tension on the
gear teeth was obtained by rotating the gears in opposite directions and then
meshing them with the connecting gear or worm.

A popular military receiver was the BC-348 and BC-342. I forget which, but one
operated on 14 or 28 vdc and the other on 115 vac. The dc unit was easily
converted to ac.

Another colleague, a strictly CW operator, used one of those to rack up lots of
DX. That RX and a Meissner Signal Shifter feeding a war surplus 304TH was a
powerful and inexpensive CW station.

73,
Bill, K5BY