Old July 14th 03, 05:30 AM
Mike Polinske

Default Borg Johnson worldwide radio???

Has anyone heard of the Borg Johnson Radio?

I got an offer in the mail that was offering it free with a 10 day
trial oT a "nutritional supplement". The mailing says the radio is a
$79 value, but I can't find any information on the radio. If it were
legit, I'd expect to see more information about the radio.

The picture of the radio shows a 12 band FM/TV/MW/SW1-9 radio with a
model number of HS-912R.

If you want more info, email me and I'll send you the technical
specifications as well as a link to see a picture of the radio.

I'd rather be sure the radio is genuine and works as advertised than
get it and be disappointed.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Polinske
Milwaukee, WI
Old July 14th 03, 08:54 AM
LA Davies

"Mike Polinske" wrote in message
m...
Has anyone heard of the Borg Johnson Radio?

No, what about a Dalek radio?

Old July 14th 03, 11:05 AM
Frank Dresser

"Mike Polinske" wrote in message
m...
Has anyone heard of the Borg Johnson Radio?

I got an offer in the mail that was offering it free with a 10 day
trial oT a "nutritional supplement". The mailing says the radio is a
$79 value, but I can't find any information on the radio. If it were
legit, I'd expect to see more information about the radio.

The picture of the radio shows a 12 band FM/TV/MW/SW1-9 radio with a
model number of HS-912R.

If you want more info, email me and I'll send you the technical
specifications as well as a link to see a picture of the radio.

I'd rather be sure the radio is genuine and works as advertised than
get it and be disappointed.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Polinske
Milwaukee, WI

Can you post a link to the group? I don't know anything about Borg Johnson,
but it could be a rebadged radio that someone may be familiar with.

Frank Dresser

Old July 14th 03, 02:21 PM
Mark S. Holden

Mike Polinske wrote:

Has anyone heard of the Borg Johnson Radio?

I got an offer in the mail that was offering it free with a 10 day
trial oT a "nutritional supplement". The mailing says the radio is a
$79 value, but I can't find any information on the radio. If it were
legit, I'd expect to see more information about the radio.

The picture of the radio shows a 12 band FM/TV/MW/SW1-9 radio with a
model number of HS-912R.

If you want more info, email me and I'll send you the technical
specifications as well as a link to see a picture of the radio.

I'd rather be sure the radio is genuine and works as advertised than
get it and be disappointed.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Polinske
Milwaukee, WI

I did a google search, and turned up a mail fraud record from 1958 involving a portable radio sold by Borg Johnson. I don't know if this is the company making the radio in your offer or not, and it's seriously old news, but it's a hoot.

http://www.usps.com/judicial/1958deci/1-10.htm
Old July 14th 03, 02:51 PM
Doughnutz & Coffee

"Mike Polinske" wrote in message
m...
Has anyone heard of the Borg Johnson Radio?

A curious historic note about Borg-Johnson Electronics from the late 50's:

http://www.usps.com/judicial/1958deci/1-10.htm

I got an offer in the mail that was offering it free with a 10 day
trial oT a "nutritional supplement". The mailing says the radio is a
$79 value, but I can't find any information on the radio. If it were
legit, I'd expect to see more information about the radio.

This sounds like the classic "..and if you act now, we'll also
include" routine that was was perfected by the early masters
of the art of direct sales. Actually a facinating history that makes
for quite good reading!

See: http://www.sjplfilms.com/

I often wonder if there were any ever psychological
studies done on the draw of this uniquely American
sales institution?

See also:

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/...02/june/ronco/

The picture of the radio shows a 12 band FM/TV/MW/SW1-9 radio with a
model number of HS-912R.

Sounds like a marketing company someplace has purchased the
B-J name and is now importing more chinese made radios.

They've done the same of late with Emerson and Philco.
I saw a "modern" Philco (chinese made) on the HSN just
yesterday.

HSN and similar networks are the modern evolution of the
classic pitch-men of the 60's and 70's. (the Grand Master
of the art being the great Ron Popeil of RonCo fame)

http://shop.ronco.com/ (now online!!)

If you want more info, email me and I'll send you the technical
specifications as well as a link to see a picture of the radio.

I'd rather be sure the radio is genuine and works as advertised than
get it and be disappointed.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Polinske
Milwaukee, WI

"....and if you act now, I'll include a matched pair of 6AQ5's ABSOLUTLEY
FREE!"

(grin)

Old July 14th 03, 09:41 PM
Frank Dresser

"Doughnutz & Coffee" wrote in message

[snip]

Sounds like a marketing company someplace has purchased the
B-J name and is now importing more chinese made radios.

I wonder how the Borg Johnson name could have any positive value. Sounds
like one of the Borg or Johnson kids or somebody else sold one more
valueless product. I'd love to see the pitch they made.

They've done the same of late with Emerson and Philco.
I saw a "modern" Philco (chinese made) on the HSN just
yesterday.

Yeah, nearly all the old names are owned by some other company now, usually
offshore. Can't imagine how Borg Johnson got ahead of DuMont for the
nostalgia label market.

[snip]

Frank Dresser

Old July 14th 03, 11:51 PM
Brenda Ann

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"Doughnutz & Coffee" wrote in message

[snip]

Sounds like a marketing company someplace has purchased the
B-J name and is now importing more chinese made radios.

I wonder how the Borg Johnson name could have any positive value. Sounds
like one of the Borg or Johnson kids or somebody else sold one more
valueless product. I'd love to see the pitch they made.

They've done the same of late with Emerson and Philco.
I saw a "modern" Philco (chinese made) on the HSN just
yesterday.

Yeah, nearly all the old names are owned by some other company now,

usually
offshore. Can't imagine how Borg Johnson got ahead of DuMont for the
nostalgia label market.

Borg-Johnson, huh?? Meaning if you buy one, you will be ASS-imilated??

Old July 15th 03, 01:41 AM
Radioman390

model number of HS-912R.

The 912, eh?
Don't know what the R stands for, maybe rackmount?

HS probably stands for "here, stupid...."

I forget if the 912 has 9 resistors and 12 capacitors, or 91 resistors and two
capacitors. Something like that.
Old July 15th 03, 03:04 AM
unidyne

"LA Davies" wrote in message

"Mike Polinske" wrote in message
m...
Has anyone heard of the Borg Johnson Radio?

No, what about a Dalek radio?

EX-TER-MIN-ATE! EX-TER-MIN-ATE!

(Sorry, but I'm STILL a "Dr. Who" fan!)

Old July 15th 03, 03:19 AM
Brenda Ann

"unidyne" wrote in message

"LA Davies" wrote in message

"Mike Polinske" wrote in message
m...
Has anyone heard of the Borg Johnson Radio?

No, what about a Dalek radio?

EX-TER-MIN-ATE! EX-TER-MIN-ATE!

(Sorry, but I'm STILL a "Dr. Who" fan!)

Giant pepper pots, cheesy robots allergic to gold, and the campiest
archvillian ever devised... plus the 'girl du juor'.. what's not to love
about the Doctor? My favorite is still Tom Baker, though Peter Davison
wasn't too bad.