Old July 16th 03, 07:34 AM
Mark

Default Opinions on Sony SW-100E & 7600G(R) Receivers

I'm thinking of buying ones of these radios and would appreciate any
comments on performance when tuning SSB signals. Basically, I'm after a
portable radio for (mainly) listening to the amateur bands when away from
home.

The two main things I want to know are;

* From the reviews I've read, I believe the 100E can tune SSB in 100Hz
steps, thus negating the need for a separate fine tuning control as used on
the 7600 (someone please shout if I've got this wrong).

* How do the two compare in sensitivity, selectivity etc - I'm not really
interested in all the bells & whistles of either radio - just want to know
how they compare at handling signals - the basic stuff.

Since the 100E costs more - I'm trying to determine whether it's worth the
extra cost.

I'd be interested in any comments no matter how brief or detailed

Cheers

Mark

Old July 16th 03, 08:08 PM
Ron Hardin

I would say the 7600G is the best buy. The sw100 is a nice toy and
the synch detection is better (quieter) but not as good as the 2010's,
and it's less sensitive without its external antenna. For SSB it's
hard to beat the continuous BFO tuning on the 7600G.

ie it's certainly not worth the extra money if performance is the idea.

Nor, in the modern age, is the sw100 particularly miniature any longer.

You might like one on your nightstand though. That's where mine is.
--
Ron Hardin

FS sony 7600GR Mwin33 Equipment 0 June 9th 04 08:39 AM
FS sony 7600GR Mwin33 Equipment 0 June 9th 04 08:39 AM