Old July 16th 03, 07:34 AM
Mark

Default Opinions on Sony SW-100E & 7600G(R) Receivers

I'm thinking of buying ones of these radios and would appreciate any
comments on performance when tuning SSB signals. Basically, I'm after a
portable radio for (mainly) listening to the amateur bands when away from
home.

The two main things I want to know are;

* From the reviews I've read, I believe the 100E can tune SSB in 100Hz
steps, thus negating the need for a separate fine tuning control as used on
the 7600 (someone please shout if I've got this wrong).

* How do the two compare in sensitivity, selectivity etc - I'm not really
interested in all the bells & whistles of either radio - just want to know
how they compare at handling signals - the basic stuff.

Since the 100E costs more - I'm trying to determine whether it's worth the
extra cost.

I'd be interested in any comments no matter how brief or detailed

Cheers

Mark

Old July 16th 03, 08:08 PM
Ron Hardin

I would say the 7600G is the best buy. The sw100 is a nice toy and
the synch detection is better (quieter) but not as good as the 2010's,
and it's less sensitive without its external antenna. For SSB it's
hard to beat the continuous BFO tuning on the 7600G.

ie it's certainly not worth the extra money if performance is the idea.

Nor, in the modern age, is the sw100 particularly miniature any longer.

You might like one on your nightstand though. That's where mine is.
--
Ron Hardin

Old July 20th 03, 04:05 AM
Daniel Rosenzweig

By the 7600, I would assume the SW7600GR, which is the only one
available new nowadays.

Unfortunately, Sony uses the '7600' moniker for a certain price point.
They update the radio over time and add a few letters to the name each
time... The original Sony 7600 was analog... and it makes it easier
for inscrupulous stores to switch you to a discontinued model.

History (and some mods) can be found he
http://home.t-online.de/home/jgrossklass/sony7600.htm

I found the older SW7600G to be muffled when on synchronous detection.
I still have an old SW7600 (no sync detection) (which I'm probably
going to sell, at this point) and an SW100S (the S, is the US version,
with active antenna included- as opposed to the European E, with just
a clothesline antenna). According to a guy at Universal, (without my
mentioning the 7600G issue I had) he told me that the SW7600GR has
better audio (than the SW7600G) when on sync detect.
The Radio Netherlands review of the GR doesn't mention this.
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/icf-sw7600gr.html

I'm happy with my SW100S, which I bought reconditioned - to reduce the
sticker shock. I made sure to get the 'new' (1998+) - hinge fix
version.

When using it at home, I use it with a Torus Tuner loop (passive)
antenna (which can be used on the 7600GR, as well) which really helps
dramatically in many situations... Interestingly, I searched around
before purchase... and it seems like the only negative reviews, were
from people who did not own the antenna - and were basing it upon
theory...
I bought it with the amplifier -- but as you can read in the thread
listed below, it's not really needed for portables... so I rarely
connect the amp.

(Sony's AN-LP1 loop antenna was also a great antenna - and
collapsible- but no longer made... I have no idea how the two antennas
compare).
The Torus Tuners are hand-made in the US -- so you wont find them in a
store in the UK...
http://www.torustuner.com

Take a look at this thread from rec.radio.shortwave, for example (you
can search the newsgroups yourself):
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...r%3D%26hl%3Den

The active antenna which it comes with (the SW100E only comes with a
'clothesline' wire) is of marginal value... Since you're in Europe -
you may not need much of an antenna anyhow... depending upon the
broadcaster you're trying to listen to...

I also connect it to a Cambridge Soundworks (now owned by Creative
Labs) speaker system - which really makes is sound quite good... I
have a cardboard baffle which I use for travelling... it really makes
the sound louder and bassier - for the cost of cutting an old
cardboard box! Nothing compared to a seperate speaker, of course...

Radio Netherlands review of SW100
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/icfsw100.html

SW100 page - includes old hinge issue and speaker baffle.
http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/gadgets/SW100.html

FYI- I have no connection to any of the above
products/companies/webpages other than being a consumer...

"Mark" wrote in message ...
Thanks Ron,

I've gone for the 7600 - ordered one today. Hope it comes soon.

Cheers, Mark

Old August 2nd 03, 07:46 PM
RHF

So Here is the Question - I Want To Know (a la Dr. Gene Scott)

Does Anyone Know what is the 'meaning' of
this statement on the "Torus Tuner" website:
"UNAVAILABLE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE"
- - - http://www.torustuner.com - - -

Is "Ed Wawzinski" the owner/maker of the Torus Tuner:
[ ] On Vacation (Well Deserved)
[ ] Sick or Ill

Does anyone know what Ed's status is ? ? ?

iwtk ~ RHF
Old August 2nd 03, 08:26 PM
Philip Smith

I can vouch for the performance of the Torus Tuner SW loop. I have tested
it side by side with the Sony Loop and found that the Torus Tuner has better
selectivity. I hope these antennas are back in production soon. Cheers,
Frikij

"RHF" wrote in message
om...
So Here is the Question - I Want To Know (a la Dr. Gene Scott)

Does Anyone Know what is the 'meaning' of
this statement on the "Torus Tuner" website:
"UNAVAILABLE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE"
- - - http://www.torustuner.com - - -

Is "Ed Wawzinski" the owner/maker of the Torus Tuner:
[ ] On Vacation (Well Deserved)
[ ] Sick or Ill

Does anyone know what Ed's status is ? ? ?

iwtk ~ RHF
.
.
= = = (Daniel Rosenzweig) wrote in message
= = = . com...
= = = WAS = "Opinions on Sony SW-100E & 7600G(R) Receivers"
- - - SNIP - - -

When using it at home, I use it with a Torus Tuner loop (passive)
antenna (which can be used on the 7600GR, as well) which really helps
dramatically in many situations... Interestingly, I searched around
before purchase... and it seems like the only negative reviews, were
from people who did not own the antenna - and were basing it upon
theory...
I bought it with the amplifier -- but as you can read in the thread
listed below, it's not really needed for portables... so I rarely
connect the amp.

- - - SNIP - - -
The Torus Tuners are hand-made in the US -- so you wont find them in a
store in the UK...
http://www.torustuner.com

- - - SNIP - - -
Take a look at this thread from rec.radio.shortwave, for example (you
can search the newsgroups yourself):

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...readm=0001HW.B
A2D68870007585C120758A0%40news-central.giganews.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fas
_q%3Dtorus%2520tuner%26safe%3Dimages%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26lr%3D%26hl%
3Den

- - - SNIP - - -

Old August 3rd 03, 01:08 AM
radiok3pi

Ed is under the weather and recovering from illness. He hopes to
back in the loop building mode before long - once his energy level
returns.

Russ K3Pi

(RHF) wrote in message . com...
So Here is the Question - I Want To Know (a la Dr. Gene Scott)

Does Anyone Know what is the 'meaning' of
this statement on the "Torus Tuner" website:
"UNAVAILABLE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE"
- - -

Old August 3rd 03, 10:41 AM
Eric F. Richards

Peter Maus wrote:

[snipped all]

Hey, Peter, long time no read! I figured you'd abandoned the group
after the flaming bozo brigade came in.

--
Eric F. Richards,
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- J. R. Pierce, Bell Labs, c. 1940
Old August 3rd 03, 09:09 PM
Peter Maus

Eric F. Richards wrote:
Peter Maus wrote:

[snipped all]

Hey, Peter, long time no read! I figured you'd abandoned the group
after the flaming bozo brigade came in.

Hi, Eric.

No. I have read-only news access on my dataline. My
outgoing news access is on my dialup, so it's often more trouble
than it's worth to say something that either I've said before, or
that someone else will get to. I still read it all. I just don't
see much benefit to putting up.

That, and work has been good. Been listening to my radios,
and spending a lot of time in preparation for my helicopter rating.

Any recent technical experiments on your end?

Nice seeing you around, too.

Old August 3rd 03, 09:38 PM
starman

Peter Maus wrote:

Eric F. Richards wrote:
Peter Maus wrote:

[snipped all]

Hey, Peter, long time no read! I figured you'd abandoned the group
after the flaming bozo brigade came in.

Hi, Eric.

No. I have read-only news access on my dataline. My
outgoing news access is on my dialup, so it's often more trouble
than it's worth to say something that either I've said before, or
that someone else will get to. I still read it all. I just don't
see much benefit to putting up.

That, and work has been good. Been listening to my radios,
and spending a lot of time in preparation for my helicopter rating.

Any recent technical experiments on your end?

Nice seeing you around, too.

Peter,

What model heli' will you be training on? I've been flying the little
ones (R/C) for many years. Some full scale heli' pilots say the R/C ones
are harder because the pilot is not in the machine and the controls are
reversed when it's flying towards you. Good luck with your helicopter
rating.

Old August 3rd 03, 10:23 PM
Peter Maus

starman wrote:
Peter Maus wrote:

Eric F. Richards wrote:

Peter Maus wrote:

[...]

I'll be training in an R-22. Then moving to turbines in a 206B
III. A commercial pilot I got to know out at a personal appearance
when I was with CBS/Infinity recently relocated his Bell 47 G-5 out
to near where I live. And about twice a month he takes me flying
around the upper midwest. Of all the birds I've ridden in, the Bell
47 is the most breathtaking because of the panoramic view.

This is actually not my first attempt at this. I've done it
several times before, but, as nomadic as Radio is, I've had to move
to take a new job before my training was complete. Then start over
when things would finally settle down at the new job. After I
walked out of CBS, I started doing all the things I couldn't do
before because of the 20 hours days at work. This is the last of
the catch up projects to finish, before I start on new goals.

R/Cs are tough to master not only because the pilot is not in
the machine, but because it's so light that controls are very input
sensitive. It takes a much steadier hand that it would first appear.

Thanks for the good thoughts. As long as I stay out of the
headlines, you'll know things are progressing nicely.

FS sony 7600GR Mwin33 Equipment 0 June 9th 04 08:39 AM
FS sony 7600GR Mwin33 Equipment 0 June 9th 04 08:39 AM