Old July 18th 03, 04:33 AM
Pete KE9OA

Default Dead radio

The Yaesu unit is just an unregulated supply...............any 12V source
will work, as long as you have at least 1000mA. It is always a good idea to
not have the radio plugged in, when you are not using it. When you get a
nearby lightning strike, most of the time, it comes in throught the power
lines. I have done several repairs over the years, where circuit board
traces have been completely vaporized. The power lines make a very good
antenna, especially when it comes to picking up the charge from a lightning
strike. This event has such a fast rise time, that it is really hard to
protect against. Best to play it safe in the future. Since your power
adaptor is fried (probably an open primary on the transformer), you can cut
the cable from it, and use it on your new adaptor. Once again, you don't
need a regulated supply, because all of the regulators are inside of the
radio. I have broken mine open, to do some bypassing. All there is inside
of the power unit is a transformer, a couple of diodes, and a filter
capacitor. Yaesu chose to use diodes that had a hard knee point, the result
being that the supply emits quite a bit of hash. I hope that the radio is
ok.

Pete

Barbara Beardsley wrote in message
Hi
Need help from someone knowledgeable about electronics, which is certainly
not me!
My Yaesu FRG-100 died, well at least I know for sure the power source is
dead, my husband tested it with his voltmeter, 0 volts.Anyway, I bought

this
radio used so I don't know if there was originally a schematic included

with
it. We don't know what type of adapter we can use to test the radio (it

may
have been fried by a ligtning strike (: Do I have to use a Yaesu power
supply, or is there an equuivalent? I have a Rat Shack 12v 1500mA adapter,
don't know if that would work-in any case we can't find a plug to fit.

Does
anyone know what we can try?
Thanks

Barbara