Old July 25th 03, 06:43 PM
N8KDV

Default Radio For Peace International

Interesting news about this station:

http://www.worldofradio.com/anomaly.html

Steve
Holland, MI

Drake R7, R8 and R8B

Old July 25th 03, 06:49 PM
Burr

Hey Cuss,
Nice site. I have been following a little of this, what caused this to
happen??

Burr

Old July 25th 03, 06:57 PM
Michael Black

Burr ) writes:
Hey Cuss,
Nice site. I have been following a little of this, what caused this to
happen??

Burr

Actually, most of the piece is on the RFPI website, something I only noticed
when I thought to check their site to see if there was additional information.

Michael

Old July 25th 03, 07:05 PM
N8KDV

Michael Black wrote:

Burr ) writes:
Hey Cuss,
Nice site. I have been following a little of this, what caused this to
happen??

Burr

Actually, most of the piece is on the RFPI website, something I only noticed
when I thought to check their site to see if there was additional information.

Michael

Indeed, that's why one must click on 'More!. I'm so thrilled you discovered how to
do that!

Steve

Old July 25th 03, 08:34 PM

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 17:49:19 GMT, Burr wrote:
Hey Cuss,
Nice site. I have been following a little of this, what caused this to
happen??

Burr

- maybe too much hate for hate radio?

:-)

Old July 25th 03, 11:10 PM
Diverd4777

In article , Burr
writes:

Hey Cuss,
Nice site. I have been following a little of this, what caused this to
happen??

Burr

new administration, locked gates..

- Doubtless some chicken**** dispute;

N8KDV wrote:
Interesting news about this station:

http://www.worldofradio.com/anomaly.html

Steve
Holland, MI

Drake R7, R8 and R8B

"To prevent the silencing of this important voice, we the Committee for the
Defense of Radio For Peace International encourages you to write Kofi Annan in
support of the radio station at: or , and/or to
leave a message of concern with the Public Inquiries office at 212.963.4475."

Old July 26th 03, 08:15 PM
Mike Terry

Got this from the station today:

Hello, thanks for your email. Please keep listening to the radio and
watching the web site, we will update as and when we are able. Please help
us by distributing this press release as widely as possible. Many thanks,
Naomi, RFPI staff

For Immediate Release:

Radio For Peace International Holds Press Conference
Against Censorship

For More Information Contact:
RFPI at email:
James Latham, General Manager, RFPI: 011 (506) 249-1821
Naomi Fowler, Program Director, RFPI: 011 (506) 249-1821
Emily Morales, Operations, RFPI: 011 (506) 249-1821

On Saturday, July 26, 2003, Radio for Peace International in El Rodeo Costa
Rica will hold a press conference at 9:30am outside the locked gates of
Radio For Peace International. General Manager James Latham and ex-
president Rodrigo Carazo will give speeches about the importance of Freedom
of the Press in regards to the recent eviction notice issued to RFPI by the
University for Peace. Radio For Peace International staff will answer
questions from the press following the speeches.

On Monday, July 21, 2003 a University for Peace representative delivered an
eviction notice to Radio For Peace International (RFPI) which has been
operating since 1987 by mutual agreement on the University campus in El
Rodeo, Costa Rica. The Radio station's access gate was locked with chains
and patrolled by armed guards employed by the University for Peace. In
addition, the radio station was advised to vacate its facilities in two
weeks.

According to General Manager James Latham, the unexplained and legally
questionable decision to evict RFPI endangers the livelihood of the station'
s employees, and also threatens to silence the voice of peace on
international airwaves. "This is more than an eviction, this is about the
right to free speech, " says James Latham, Chief Executive Officer of Radio
for Peace International. "What is most shocking and sad is that this action
comes from an international peace organization."

Radio For Peace employees made a plea to the armed guards to allow them to
leave the locked premises on Monday night, although some have not left the
premises since the eviction notice.

University for Peace cofounder, former Costa Rican President Rodrigo Carazo
Odio, invited RFPI in 1985 to build and manage its own office and studios on
the university's Costa Rica campus. Consequently RFPI constructed studios
and transmitters, and has been broadcasting messages of peace and social
justice as well as daily United Nations programming. RFPI is the only
listener supported shortwave radio station.

Old July 27th 03, 06:54 AM
Frank Dresser

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,

This situation certainly does not look good for RFPI. I don¹t understand
their argument about free speech being a reason for them to stay. The
problem is property usage. They are there under a lease agreement with
the University of Costa Rica and the current administration wants that
lease to end. They will have to go.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

It's even more than free speech. It's war! Peace organizations at war!!
As James Latham puts it:

"Instead of focusing on how to eliminate a fellow peace organization, we
need to channel our energy toward eliminating war, poverty and hunger."

What terrors might the University for Peace commit after RFPI is eliminated?
I won't know until Noam Chomsky's next endless lecture.

Frank Dresser