Old August 4th 03, 12:39 AM
Daniel Rosenzweig

Default () Degen shortwave radios from China

To answer the person's question regarding the availability of the
Degen 1101 in the US - you'll soon be able to get the US version,
re-named the Kaito KA1101, for $65-$70 + shipping at:

Directly from Kaito (about $70 + about $8 shipping) (Available end of
August):
http://www.kaitousa.com/KA1101.htm

Radios4you (about $65 + about $8 shipping) (Available September)
http://www.radios4you.com/kaito-ka1101.html

I have nothing to do with this radio or any of the companies above...
and have never seen or heard the radio...

As mentioned in the previous article, the
Degen website talks about the DE1101 at:
http://www.degen.com.cn/english/product_1101.html

Passport to World Band Radio has a review:
http://www.passband.com/pages/receivernews.htm

This is a Dual Conversion, PLL Synthensized, Dual Bandwidth receiver!
It even comes with NiMH batteries/charger!

I haven't heard anything about the US version of the 1102.... (which
is supposed to include SSB and I think (according to radiointel) more
memories)...
From Radio Intel - both these on the home page
http://www.radiointel.com :
"Degen DE1102
Our friend HongKongRadioer sends along the following great news. The
DE1102 will be the successor to the DE1101. The DE1101 was a Chinese
market only digital readout radio that did not have SSB Mode. The new
DE1102 will have 190 memories, SSB, and an English front panel. It's
nearest competitor will be the Sony ICF-7600GR."

Actually, I just noticed that they posted the information I've given
above!

"The Degen DE1101 Is Coming To America As The Kaito KA1101
Lucky I picked up a Chinese version of the DE1101 on ebay a few months
ago and have been meaning to write about it. This is a very impressive
inexpensive portable however PBWR beat me to the punch and did a very
good favorable review on the radio. [read the PWBR review] Loaded with
features, this will be the inexpensive digital portable to beat for
2003. Radios4You.com and Kaito will be offering this radio and no
doubt other vendors will pick this model up as well. Aug 1"
Old August 4th 03, 11:28 AM
snow

Daniel,
THanks for the latest information, sounds like a promising radio.
Daniel Rosenzweig wrote in message
om...
[...]

From Radio Intel - both these on the home page

Old August 4th 03, 11:44 AM
snow

Now I wonder when the 1102 will become available in the USA, as that model
will have SSB ability. What I like about the new 1101 is the rechargable
batteries. Looks like a winner.
[...]

From Radio Intel - both these on the home page

Old August 4th 03, 11:24 PM
Daniel Rosenzweig

A few more pieces of info:

The KA1101 is approximately:
5 1/2" x 1" x 3"
Is has 10 kHz MW/AM steps only.
It probably will eventually have a 9/10 kHz switch.

The KA1102 should be available in the US approximately 4-6 weeks after
the
1101 is available. Besides the known SSB and additional memory
features, the following is also added.

1 kHz tuning steps in SW
9/10 kHz MW/AM switch
Size approximately the same as the 1101
Price under $100.

(Daniel Rosenzweig) wrote in message . com...
[...]

From Radio Intel - both these on the home page

Old August 4th 03, 11:30 PM
Daniel Rosenzweig

The side of the radio shows an analog knob to fine tune SSB.

Old August 4th 03, 11:43 PM
snow

Ok thanks for the information, looks like Grundig and Sony will have some
competition.