Old August 12th 03, 02:19 AM
George M. Buzzell

Default A newby question

I recently came into possession of a radio receiver I purchased for my
father (who passed away- that is why I now have it), an ICOM IC-R7000. The
problem is that when connected to a low gain omnidirectional antenna which I
purchased recently, it does not even have reception as good as my FM home
stereo in the FM band and it doesn't seem to have very good reception at any
other frequency.

Here's the question: do I need some kind of amplifier to make this set work
even to the performance capabilities of my home stereo system? If so, does
anyone have any recommendations on what kind of a preamp I should use. Do I
need a specialized antenna for the various bands? Is there anything else I
can try to boost performance?

I have to admit that I know just about nothing about shortwave, but think I
would like to learn.

Thanks in advance.

Old August 12th 03, 02:30 AM
N8KDV

"George M. Buzzell" wrote:

[...]

If I recall correctly the R7000 is not really a shortwave receiver, but more of
a scanner type of set. (on steroids!) From what I understand it's a very good
set up in those frequency ranges.

You might wish to post your question(s) at rec.radio.scanner

Steve
Holland, MI

Old August 12th 03, 02:52 AM
Diverd4777

George:
here's a link ( I believe) to a 126 page R-7000 Manual in PDF format

Dan

http://www.thiecom.de/ftp/icom/icr7000/information/
Old August 12th 03, 04:16 AM
Gregg

Behold, (Diverd4777) signaled to us from keyed
4-1000A filament:

George:
here's a link ( I believe) to a 126 page R-7000 Manual in PDF format

Dan

http://www.thiecom.de/ftp/icom/icr7000/information/

Whatta site! Lots of info...

Thanks ;-)

--
Gregg
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca

Interesting question JAMES HAMPTON CB 3 December 7th 04 09:34 AM
newby question JJ Antenna 7 May 29th 04 04:17 PM
BPL Video On-Line JJ Policy 31 August 17th 03 09:12 PM
Question regarding police tactics and scanners noobie Scanner 0 July 29th 03 12:48 AM