Old August 22nd 03, 02:23 PM
Brenda Ann

"Diverd4777" wrote in message
Yeah, SH & H via UPS is pricey;
BUT
in the end,
do you want to spend $20 & get a SW radio with Digital readout or not ??
Whats $20 buy??

- Call them & see if they can ship USPS, might be cheaper;

I've found at least two stores where you can get it for a total of $16.81..
that's a little better, at least..

http://att.dealtime.com/xPC-Jwin_JX_M14

Old August 22nd 03, 03:53 PM
Randy Padawer

Uhh, dxlover, my shipping was $5.95 (per my messages earlier in this
thread). My total was $10.49 for the radio plus $5.95 shipping via
UPS = $16.44. For a digital playtoy, that's not too bad. In any
event, there were at least a few in this newsgroup who purchased the
radio for twice that at JohnsonSmith, so I suppose this is a good deal
in comparison.

Randy (WA4FJF)

"dxlover" wrote...
Can someone please explain to me though why the S&H is $11.18??? That is

Old August 24th 03, 05:33 AM
dxlover

Though I'm sure you can do better on the s/h, the radio is still well

worth
the $20 price.

Thanks Brenda Ann, that'll work. ;-) Do you run a length of wire on yours
for shortwave or is the whip sufficient?

Also, how is it on the BCB. (?) Does or would a loop improve it any?

Thanks :-)

**BTW, really enjoying the P-780, did you get the other fixed yet?

--
~*~*~Monitoring the Spectrum~*~*~
***GO BEARCATS***

Old August 24th 03, 05:40 AM
dxlover

- Call them & see if they can ship USPS, might be cheaper;

Yeah Dan, I had thought about that already. I'll ask 'Ali'--the guy who
answeres the phone there on Monday to see.

I just didn't know if it was kinda scammy, you know, nine dolar
radio....twelve dollars shipping.....that's what I was thinking. Did you
get one Dan? How much does she weigh? Or Brenda Ann can answer the
question.

I 'think' I'm leaning to grabbing me one if someone in here can give me a
good 'pitch' on it. ;-)

**like I really need another radio....lol.

--
~*~*~Monitoring the Spectrum~*~*~
***GO BEARCATS***

Old August 24th 03, 05:48 AM
dxlover

Uhh, dxlover, my shipping was $5.95 (per my messages earlier in this
thread). My total was $10.49 for the radio plus $5.95 shipping via
UPS = $16.44. For a digital playtoy, that's not too bad. In any
event, there were at least a few in this newsgroup who purchased the
radio for twice that at JohnsonSmith, so I suppose this is a good deal
in comparison.

Randy (WA4FJF)

Oh, I see. Thanks Randy, I truly have to get a real newsreader because I
seem to be missing out on some posts.

Can you tell me the the mailing address of the company if you could be so
kind. Thank you, btw, I know what you mean by the price and the 'play
toy' thing, I just didn't know if they were gouging to make up the
difference on the receiver is all.

--
~*~*~Monitoring the Spectrum~*~*~
***GO BEARCATS***

Old August 24th 03, 07:45 AM
Brenda Ann

"dxlover" wrote in message
Thanks Brenda Ann, that'll work. ;-) Do you run a length of wire on

yours
for shortwave or is the whip sufficient?

Also, how is it on the BCB. (?) Does or would a loop improve it any?

BCB is fair, haven't tried it with my Select-a-Tenna, but maybe I will
tomorrow and get back to you. For SW, the whip does a usable job, I
wouldn't add too much to it, since it's got no tuned amplifier or anything.

Old August 24th 03, 02:28 PM
Diverd4777

Thanks Brenda;

I've found at least two stores where you can get it for a total of $16.81..
that's a little better, at least..

http://att.dealtime.com/xPC-Jwin_JX_M14

One of the searches you found is B & H, who I bought from; they send a UPS
tracking code, all looks on the up and up..

the other is a company in upstate New York

http://www.parammonstore.com/pstore/...aspx?pid=10090

To check out the store itself,
get the mailing address by doing a google search on the stores telephone
number

Then check w / www.epinons to see if its been rated..
- on epinons, , you can put in your ZIP code to see total shipping & tax ( !!)

This place www.parammon.com, is of interest... Looks to me like a bunch of
Programmers / retailers
in upstate NY..
Their floorspace costs are probably LOW..

http://www.parammon.com/

- Never dealt with them; just my 2 cents worth..

Dan

Sun, 24 Aug 2003 04:48:44 GMT

Old August 24th 03, 11:35 PM
dxlover

BCB is fair, haven't tried it with my Select-a-Tenna, but maybe I will
tomorrow and get back to you. For SW, the whip does a usable job, I
wouldn't add too much to it, since it's got no tuned amplifier or

anything.

OK Brenda Ann, let me know about the BCB if possible, K? :-)

Whip straight up then? No 15 to 20 ft. of wire?

--
~*~*~Monitoring the Spectrum~*~*~
***GO BEARCATS***

Old August 24th 03, 11:55 PM
Brenda Ann

'K.. just finished with the experiment. Select-a-Tenna works virtual
miracles on AMBCB.. the radio is normally quite broad (though I have not had
any problems with separation of 'local' stations. With the Select-a-Tenna,
I can pull very weak stations out of the QRM (and there is a LOT of QRM
here), and separate weak stations from strong ones pretty effectively. It's
still no DX radio (do you expect it to be?) but with any sort of loop, it is
quite good for everyday listening, and perhaps for stations 50-60 miles
distant.

I don't run any wire connected to it for SW, perhaps a 5' or so wire would
improve it some, but much longer would tend to overload the front end.

Old August 25th 03, 04:00 AM
WShoots1

Here's my full report on the jWIN radio:

http://www.radiointel.com/review-jwinjxm14.htm

For reports on some other radioos, go to:

http://www.radiointel.com

73,
Bill, K5BY