Old August 14th 03, 05:10 PM
the captain

Default slinky beverage

the captain is thinking about a slinky beverage using the super slinky
at this web site. any suggestions before I plop down at the drafting table ?

http://www.metaltoys.com/Slinky.htm

Old August 14th 03, 05:18 PM
John Doty

In article ,
"the captain" wrote:

the captain is thinking about a slinky beverage using the super slinky
at this web site. any suggestions before I plop down at the drafting
table ?

http://www.metaltoys.com/Slinky.htm

It won't work as a Beverage. The trick to a Beverage is that the TEM mode
trapped on the wire moves at the same speed as the incoming waves, so even
the weak longitudinal coupling due to ground absorption builds up. The
wave on the wire stays in phase with a signal coming from the direction
the wire is pointed.

A Slinky is a "slow wave" structu the speed of the trapped mode is much
less than the vacuum speed of light. The phase relationship that makes a
Beverage work won't hold.

Old August 14th 03, 07:46 PM
N8KDV

the captain wrote:

the captain is thinking about a slinky beverage using the super slinky
at this web site. any suggestions before I plop down at the drafting table ?

What's wrong with wire?

http://www.metaltoys.com/Slinky.htm

Old August 14th 03, 09:32 PM
the captain

the captain sails new and unexplored waters, most people already use
wire. it's time for new adventures.

Old August 14th 03, 10:34 PM
N8KDV

the captain wrote:

the captain sails new and unexplored waters, most people already use
wire. it's time for new adventures.

Well if you intend to make a Beverage antenna with slinkys you'd better be
prepared to buy a bunch of em.

Old August 14th 03, 11:33 PM
the captain

aye, that's the ticket. at 80 feet each I better fetch 25 of the
puppies. 4000 feet, now that be an antenna !

Old August 14th 03, 11:47 PM
RHF

N8KDV wrote in message ...
the captain wrote:

the captain is thinking about a slinky beverage using the super slinky
at this web site. any suggestions before I plop down at the drafting table ?

What's wrong with wire?

It's All in a Name - The SLINKY is a "Metal Toy"

http://www.metaltoys.com/Slinky.htm

Old August 15th 03, 12:25 AM
yachtboy!

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:10:57 GMT, the captain wrote:

the captain is thinking about a slinky beverage using the super slinky
at this web site. any suggestions before I plop down at the drafting table ?

http://www.metaltoys.com/Slinky.htm

Let me know how well it works, Ill post the results on my Slinky page.

==========
"Being diabetic is alot like having an un-invited
guest at a picnic, who keeps pointing out the potato
salad may have gone bad."--W.B. Willis

"Destiny has a strange sense of humor..." K. Honeycutt
----------
http://www.geocities.com/swl_yb400pe
http://www.geocities.com/swl_yb400pe/psychedelic.htm
http://www.geocities.com/swl_yb400pe/slinkypage.html

"He not busy being born is busy dying..." B. Dylan

=======================
Old August 15th 03, 01:16 AM
Gregg

Behold, the captain signaled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

the captain is thinking about a slinky beverage using the super slinky
at this web site. any suggestions before I plop down at the drafting
table ?

http://www.metaltoys.com/Slinky.htm

I had one - worked awesome!

Get the electrolytic coated ones - they won't rust.

--
Gregg
*Perhaps it's useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Old August 15th 03, 02:11 AM
snow

Though not a beverage, I ran 500 feet of longwire when I lived in a rural
area and it made for excellant reception on the mediumwave AM band. I used
an Icom 735. I pulled in the carribean some from Maine, and stations in
middle America...stuff I could not do without the 500 foot wire. It seems
the longer the better for mediumwave as it picks up the ground wave signal.

?

http://www.metaltoys.com/Slinky.htm