Old August 15th 03, 03:29 PM
Ron Hardin

Default Any AM stations off air?

I didn't find WXYT 1270 Detroit this morning, my usual source of Imus
after 9am in Central Ohio. I used WFNR 710 Blacksburg VA instead.

They were replaying yesterday's Best of Imus in any case, a repeated
repeat. Apparently they couldn't put together a new one for today.

The syndication started out as dead air apparently at 6am. I listened
to the KCJJ 1630 Iowa City (competition to WRDW 1630 Augusta's Imus)
for a while - who is this guy? he has an awful laugh that cuts through
Imus in any case even when nulled away and when I went back they had
the old Imus rerun on all the affiliates I checked.
--
Ron Hardin

Old August 16th 03, 06:13 PM
David Eduardo

"starman" wrote in message

WGY-810 in Schenectady was off for quite a while. I was surprised
because they have always been a reliable station in emergencies. I guess
it comes with being owned by Clear Channel now.

Why post something you know nothing about?

The station could have been off the air for a variety of reasons, none of
which have to do with ownership. In fact, Clear channel has generally
improved substantially the engineering standards and physical plants at its
stations.

I worked for years at two stations that were in the top 10 billers in the
largest billing radio market in the world. If the power went out, we went
out. Reason?

No, not engineering budgets. Local zoning pretty much prohibited us from
having a generator. we were in a landmark building, in an older area. No
fuel tanks allowed. And the UPS could only handle an hour or so. Finally, at
a cost of $7 million, we moved.

So, you see, off-air incidents can have a variety of reasons. Most are "****
happens" or somehow unanticipated events.

Old August 16th 03, 11:35 PM
Tom Betz

Quoth "David Eduardo" in
news
Local zoning pretty much prohibited us from
having a generator. we were in a landmark building, in an older area. No
fuel tanks allowed.

Are there no natural-gas powered emergency generators?

Seems like a natural application. No tanks needed.
Old August 17th 03, 01:28 AM
David Eduardo

"Tom Betz" wrote in message
. 69...
Quoth "David Eduardo" in
news
Local zoning pretty much prohibited us from
having a generator. we were in a landmark building, in an older area. No
fuel tanks allowed.

Are there no natural-gas powered emergency generators?

Seems like a natural application. No tanks needed.

There are gas powered generators, using propane of LNG sources. However, one
fueled from gas lines would not be useful. In major emergencies, gas is shut
off; in LA a major tremor will cause any gas installations made in the 90's
and later to shut off. Since quakes are the main reason you would have a
generator in LA, the gas one would not make sense.