Old August 15th 03, 11:18 PM
J999w

Default BCB TA DX

n with only the
built-in antenna. Or am I wrong? Is there good a way to eliminate the
phantom stations and pull in the DX?

I'm not completly familiar with this radio, so I can only comment in general.

If you live on th Atlantic seaboard, you stand a fair chance of hearing
transatlantic DX with a built in loop. If you live in the midwest (your header
suggests central time zone), you can just about forget it except under
_extremely_ favorable conditions (once in a life time type stuff). I have
heard Mexico, and Cuba with a cheap boom box, but it's a LOT easier with a
decent table top radio (Icom R75, or Drake R8a, or such with good loop or
outdoor antennas).

You can improve your reception with a _tunable_ external loop (names excape me
at the moment) and expect to hear Cuba Mexico and perhaps Columbia, Venzuela
under good conditons from the midwest. A hombrew 3 foot box loop will work well
if you're not in a concrete/metal building.

Others will give additional suggstions I'm sure.

I'm certainly not trying to discourage you from chasing the DX, but rather just
putting some perspctive on what an achievment hearing TA's on MW is.

From here in Wisconsin, I have yet to hear any audio from europe on MW (and I
have tried ! ), but have logged a few longwave BC stations from europe and
Africa using an Icom R71a and an ewe antenna.

GOOD DX !

jw
wb9uai
Old August 16th 03, 02:08 AM

[...]