Old August 20th 03, 09:47 PM
Robert11

Default Wireless Router & Receiver Noise ?

Hi,

Am considering getting a Wireless Router (LinkSys) to communicate from a DSL
modem to various PC's in my ap't. which would be placed very
close, out of necessity, to my SW receiver.

Receiver is used to monitor from about 150 kc to 30 MC.

Was wondering:

-any idea if this will be a problem regarding noise, etc. picked up by
receiver due to the wireless Router transmission ?

-any idea what freq(s) the wireless router uses to communicate with the
PC(s) ?

Thanks,
Bob

Old August 20th 03, 10:10 PM
Warpcore

Any digital equipment will produce RF interference with a shortwave
receiver, but it may not be on every band. If you will be having the
computer equipment on all the time, you will have the interference all the
time.
I have heard claims that a good antenna properly matched to the receiver
will eliminate most if not all the interference, but I don't have experience
in that regard.

nk.net...

Old August 20th 03, 10:54 PM
Larry Ozarow

802.11b and 802.11g operate at 2.4 GHz, and should
not be a problem at HF.

Old August 20th 03, 10:55 PM
anc

Robert11 wrote:

Hi,

Am considering getting a Wireless Router (LinkSys) to communicate from a
DSL modem to various PC's in my ap't. which would be placed very
close, out of necessity, to my SW receiver.

Receiver is used to monitor from about 150 kc to 30 MC.

Was wondering:

-any idea if this will be a problem regarding noise, etc. picked up by
receiver due to the wireless Router transmission ?

-any idea what freq(s) the wireless router uses to communicate with the
PC(s) ?

Thanks,
Bob

Even without a router a Broadband Connection produces some interference.
This is more noticeable if your telephone cable is fed overhead. I have a
512k ADSL connection in the UK and I have some weak noise around 800KHz in
the MW band. I cannot receive a weak UK am station for the interference but
at night a strong European station overcomes this. I also get a weak 2nd and
3rd harmonic interference on 1600KHz and 2400Khz, other multiples are
clear, this is even without the computer switched on. A wireless router
operates at 432Mhz so there should be no broadcast band interference. Your
computer will generate more noise than your router probably,so an external
antenna is recommended. I use an external loop antenna which can be nulled
electrically to remove some of my noise problems.
Old August 21st 03, 02:10 AM
King Pineapple

"Warpcore" wrote in message
k.net...

I have heard claims that a good antenna properly matched to the receiver
will eliminate most if not all the interference,

The "not all" part is the bitch.