Old August 23rd 03, 01:32 AM
The Dawn Soliloquy

Default Nextel Claims Trademarks On "Push To Talk" And "PTT"

Maybe it's old news, but if not, you guys and gals have to see this.

Beginning of excerpt.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/newswi...tr1006950.html

Nextel Claims Trademarks On "Push To Talk" And "PTT"

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Nextel Communications Inc. said Friday it would use
trademark law to stop emerging rivals of its 10-year-old walkie-talkie service
from using the term "push-to-talk" to describe their products.

But lawyers said Nextel, the No. 5 U.S. wireless telephone company and so far
the only one to offer a feature on a phone that allows customers to talk at
the push of a button, could face an uphill battle to protect the term.

"You can't use trademark law to remove words from the dictionary and prevent
their ordinary use," said Steven Bauer, a partner in the intellectual property
group at Boston law firm Testa, Hurwitz & Thibeault.

End of excerpt.

I guess I'll need to scrape PTT of of my Yaesu VX-5R. I hope I don't damage
too much plastic.

Does Nextel employee anyone with a brain?

Regards.

Never say never.
Nothing is absolute.
Old August 23rd 03, 03:01 AM
The Dawn Soliloquy

Pardon me, my slippage is showing.

"Does Nextel EMPLOY anyone with a brain"?

A Jungian slip. (pardon the pun)

Regards.

Old August 23rd 03, 11:48 PM
The Dawn Soliloquy

:-(®

It will take a little getting used to. Somehow, it's just not the same.

LOL

Regards.

In article ,
"Frank Dresser" wrote:

Its (The Dawn Soliloquy) wrote in message
Maybe it's old news, but if not, you guys and gals have to see this.

Beginning of excerpt.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/newswi...tr1006950.html

http://www.despair.com/demotivators/frownonthis.html

Frank Dresser

Never say never.
Nothing is absolute.
Old August 24th 03, 01:14 AM
radiok3pi

Now, the burning question....
will they register their trademark on "on-off" and "volume"

Old August 24th 03, 02:44 AM
The Dawn Soliloquy

LOL, ROTFL. Great post.

While looking to verify that ROTFL was the preferred mnemonic for "roll on the
floor laughing", I found this amusing page.

http://www.rotfl.com/irc-addict/