Old September 8th 03, 05:42 AM
RHF

Default SONY ICF-2010

SR,

If you are on the 3rd Floor and the building's Roof is 10 Stories
High.
You may just want to run a piece of wire from your apartment to the
roof and have a 70-84 foot Vertical Random Wire Antenna.

While a Vertical Random Wire Antenna may not be the greatest antenna
it should give you better reception then yoor radio's Whip Antenna and
a 104" CB Whip Antenna.

If your really want to improve your 'reception' then consider a Low
Noise Antenna a la John Doty using simple and cheap TV Components.

* Use a piece of TV 75 Ohm Coax Cable to go from the 3rd Floor
Apartment to the Roof.

* Use a TV 75300 Ohm Matching Transformer ("F" Connector and 300 Ohm
Twin Lead type) to connect the Coax Cable to the Antenna Wire on the
Roof.

* Find a 'good' Grounding Point on the Roof near the edge of the
roof.
- - - Connect one of the Matching Transformer's Leads to the Roof
Grounding Point.

* Use TV 300 Ohm Twin Lead (40-100 Feet) as your Antenna Element.
Strip and Twist the two wires together at each end.
- - - Connect the other Matching Transformer's Leads to the joined
Twin Lead.

* Route and Mount the Antenna Element 'horizontally' along the "Edge"
of the Roof Line about 3" to 6" above the surface (Ledge of the Roof)
for Low Visibility.
- - - WHY the Edge of the Roof Line: The Roof of a ten story
building is 100-120 feet above the ground already. Usually the center
of the roof has more items on and under it that cause both RFI & EMF
Type Man Made Noise: So the Roof Line Edge can be the better choice
to locate your antenna. Plus "Safety" no wires to trip-on or get
caught-on.

* To 'connect' your Antenna to your Sony ICF-2010; use another TV
75300 Ohm Matching Transformer ("F" Connector and 300 Ohm Twin Lead
type) to connect the Coax Cable to a 1/8" Mono Plug.

OBTW: A copy of your question and this reply will be posted at the
SWL Antennas and AM & FM Antennas eGroup at YAHOO!

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = (S R)
= = = wrote in message ...
I have this wonderful radio, which I use the telescopic attenia with it.
However, it has two holes on the side. One is for AM and the other is
AIR/FM. What do I need to improve the reception for this radio?

I live on the 3 floor of a 10 floor building. I might be able to add an
attenia on the roof such as a CB attenia in a verical position, but I do
not think I could put a suspended line horizontally.

Is their a way I could use a 10 foot CB attenia?

What can I pick up at radio shack?

FS: Sony 2010 KE2WG Equipment 0 October 4th 03 11:43 AM
FS: Sony 2010 KE2WG Equipment 0 October 4th 03 11:43 AM
WTB Drake SW8 or Sony ICF 2010 Pat Equipment 0 September 15th 03 11:00 PM
WTB Drake SW8 or Sony ICF 2010 Pat Equipment 0 September 15th 03 11:00 PM
FS: Sony 2001D (2010) and Quantum Loop Joe Esposito Shortwave 0 July 10th 03 06:24 PM