Old September 13th 03, 05:13 AM
Al Patrick

Randy,

Forgive me if someone else has already given you the reference to those
scriptures you "quoted" but I haven't taken time to read all the replies
to this. Since you don't use any thee's and thou's I'm assuming it is
NOT from the King James Version and will just give you the New American
Standard Bible version.

Part of it comes from three of the first four books of the New
Testament. I'll just site the first book, Matthew, for now.

It also comes from one of the most famous sermons Jesus Christ ever
preached -- probably THE most famous, The Sermon on the Mount which is
covered in Matthew chapters 5, 6 and 7.

Matt. 5:29 "And if your right eye makes you stumble, tear it out, and
throw it from you; for it is better for you that one of the parts of
your body perish, than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.

Matt. 5:30 "And if your right hand makes you stumble, cut it off, and
throw it from you; for it is better for you that one of the parts of
your body perish, than for your whole body to go into hell.

That last paragraph seems just a bit twisted or reversed. :-)

Matthew 18:6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which
believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about
his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

You may want to read some preceding and following that verse to get the
gist of the message.

Hope that helps. I notice someone already told you who was probably
broadcasting.

Al

==============

Randy Padawer wrote:

Today I scanned across 19m and heard some really scary evanglist types
on 15.385 MHz -- it was just after 1800 GMT, Wednesday, September 10,
2003. Here's an excerpt:

"If your hand or foot causes you to sin,
cut it off and throw it away.
It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled
than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire."

"And if your eye causes you to sin,
gouge it out and throw it away.
It is better for you to enter into life with one eye
than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell."

Another verse I don't even want to directly quote -- the gist of it
was that it would be better for a child to have a millstone put around
his neck and drowned than to witness someone else sinning. I sure
hope we don't hear about these people on CNN one day, but I imagine
nevertheless that some of the religious-based murders we sometimes
hear are grounded in beliefs like this.

Anybody know what group originates this incredible doggerel?

Randy (WA4FJF)

Old September 14th 03, 03:03 PM
Randy Padawer

Thank you, Al, I had no idea that was the Sermon on the Mount. (I
have certainly heard the title of that sermon and could have filled in
the blank if tested -- "Sermon on the _______" -- although I obviously
have demonstrated my overall ignorance.) Thank you again, and I hope
I didn't offend too many people.
Randy (WA4FJF)