Old September 18th 03, 03:09 PM
Jerry

Default radio advice needed

I would like to buy a decent radio to listen to shortwave and
hams. From what I've seen, the Kenwood r-1000, Kenwood r-5000,
and Icom R-75 should suit my needs. I tend to lean towards the
r-1000, but the Icom is a new design and only a couple hundred dollars
more. Would I be better off choosing the Icom, or is it loaded with
squirrel features I would never use? Is the r-5000 a better choice?
Thanks for any help.
Old September 18th 03, 04:58 PM
Mark S. Holden

Jerry wrote:

I would like to buy a decent radio to listen to shortwave and
hams. From what I've seen, the Kenwood r-1000, Kenwood r-5000,
and Icom R-75 should suit my needs. I tend to lean towards the
r-1000, but the Icom is a new design and only a couple hundred dollars
more. Would I be better off choosing the Icom, or is it loaded with
squirrel features I would never use? Is the r-5000 a better choice?
Thanks for any help.

Of those radios, if it were me, I'd go with the R-75.

But if you are open to other options, I'd look at a used Drake R8.

I had one, and feel they offer a lot of bang for the buck.

Old September 18th 03, 07:29 PM
Bill Hennessy

Don't buy a tabletop radio unless you can put up a good outside antenna. If
you can't a portable will be just as good.

Bill, N5NOB

Old September 18th 03, 08:01 PM
Diverd4777

When conditions get REEALLY bad or the Signal is
REEALLY faint,
the R-75 shines... ( with a good, long antenna)

Mine is hooked up to Computer speakers; sounds pretty good to me !

- Someday I'll get the Kiwa mods;
- but I like it so much it'd be hard to send away ...

Dan

Old September 18th 03, 08:36 PM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article , Mark S. Holden wrote:

But if you are open to other options, I'd look at a used Drake R8.

I had one, and feel they offer a lot of bang for the buck.

The R-8 is a good radio, performs well and does have lots of features.

The ergonomics IMHO leave a lot to be desired. I like to have all sorts
of knobs to "twiddle". And therefore have an R-5000.

If you prefer a more modern design, i.e all things are are set with
up/down or on/off buttons, then the R-8 is for you.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 972-54-608-069
Icq/AIM Uin: 2661079 MSN IM:

Old September 18th 03, 11:22 PM
Michael

I'd go with the R-75. It's the best of all the radios you've listed for
DX'ing and dealing with weak and messy signals.

A close friend of mine has the Kenwood R-5000 and I also love that radio
too.

Still, I prefer the R-75. For a new price of about $500.00 US, you can't go
wrong !!!!

There is some info on the R-75 on my web page. The link is in my signature.

--
Respectfully,

Michael

Home Page: http://md_dxing.tripod.com/
Northern NJ
R75 w/DSP, Kiwa agc/sync & audio mods
G5RV & 200ft longwire w/ICE-180
MFJ-1048 preselector
SoundBlstr Live PC card w/five piece Cambridge
speakers & full software mixer/eq.