Old September 28th 03, 08:17 PM
BCcubed

Default Help Understanding Shortwave:

Hello all. Found a nice Zenith Royal D7000Y at a flea market. I would love to
understand more about shortwave radio and how to listen. Are there any sites
where information can be viewed? Any help greatly appreciated.

Mickey
Old September 28th 03, 08:50 PM
Jenni_is_a_Whore

Just surfing the net and looking at this newsgroup for Info. really helped
me when I got started 5 years ago or so. I would also suggest getting a
copy of the "Passport to World Band Radio". I bought that with my first
raido (an ATS-909). The copy that I buy every year is falling apart when
I'm ready of the next issue because of excessive use. Another good book
that helped me was "Shortwave Listning Guidebook" by Harry Helms. I bought
both of these books from Amazon.

Old September 29th 03, 12:14 AM
Diverd4777

In article , "-=jd=-"
writes:

(/tongue-in-cheek ON)
Nope. There's a near total-vacuum of information about shortwave to be
found anywhere on the internet. I say "near total-vacuum" as We've been
looking for months and all our efforts combined only turned up a couple
of Radio Shack banner ads...

( Jee !,
I went down to my Local Radio Shack & asked about Shortwave;
& now I am the proud owner of
A Satellite dish AND a Cell Phone !!

- Whatta deal ! : )

Old September 29th 03, 01:17 AM
The Axelrods

BCcubed wrote:

Hello all. Found a nice Zenith Royal D7000Y at a flea market. I would love to
understand more about shortwave radio and how to listen. Are there any sites
where information can be viewed? Any help greatly appreciated.

Mickey

Try some of the articles at the AMANDX site below. It is geared to people new to
the hobby and is not full of technical articles so it may be of help.

Have fun it can be a great hobby

--
73 and Best of DX
Shawn Axelrod

Visit the AMANDX DX site with info for the new or experienced listener:

http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/index.html

REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER

Old September 29th 03, 04:08 AM
starman

-=jd=- wrote:

To be honest, my local RS has an old timer behind the counter that
actually knows what hot solder smells like. I have not asked, and he has
not volunteered, but I would not be surprised if he's been a ham for
decades.

And when I say "Old Timer", I mean that with all due respect.

The original manager at my local RS was trained in electronics in the
military. I used to enjoy talking 'shop' with him. He retired a few
years ago, so now it's an intellectual wasteland there. I don't think RS
really wants employees with electronics knowledge these days. It might
get in the way of pushing the cell phones. If the corporate clones at RS
were really honest about the current state of affairs in the company,
they would change the name to the 'Cell Phone Shack'.

Old September 29th 03, 04:14 AM
Frank Dresser

"starman" wrote in message

The original manager at my local RS was trained in electronics in the
military. I used to enjoy talking 'shop' with him. He retired a few
years ago, so now it's an intellectual wasteland there. I don't think RS
really wants employees with electronics knowledge these days. It might
get in the way of pushing the cell phones. If the corporate clones at RS
were really honest about the current state of affairs in the company,
they would change the name to the 'Cell Phone Shack'.

Nah. The Cell Phone boom is over. Nearly everybody who wants a cell phone
has one. We are now in the age of cheap, cheesy dsiposable electonics.
They should call themselves "RCA Shack".

Frank Dresser

Old September 29th 03, 08:55 AM
RHF

Mickey,

Enjoy the Zenith Royal D7000Y.

Here are a few links to possibly read and learn from that relate to
the Hobby of Shortwave Radio Listening.

Shortwave Radio - Learning The Basics
http://support.radioshack.com/suppor...oc66/66356.htm

The Basics of Shortwave - A place to learn/share ideas about Shortwave
Radio
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thebasicsofshortwave/

ShortWave 101 – How To – Listen To – World Radio
http://www.etoncorp.com/listeninggui...gGuide_new.pdf

Beginner's Guide to Medium and Shortwave DXing
- - - Ontario DX Association
http://www.odxa.on.ca/beginnersguide/dxguide.html
*** Introduction to DXing ** Medium Wave * What is Medium Wave DX? *
How to Get Started * The Medium Wave Band Plan * Finding Distant
Stations * Sending Reception Reports * Beyond the Basics * Medium Wave
Resources ** Shortwave * An Introduction to Shortwave Listening * What
You Need to Hear Shortwave Stations * When and Where to Listen * Major
English Language Broadcasters * SWL Reception Reports * Shortwave
Listeners * Resources

John Wagner's Shortwave Tips & Tricks
http://www.dxing.com/tips.htm

Antenna Basics – A Few "Rules of Thumb" for Antennas
http://www.electronics-tutorials.com...s/antennas.htm

Shortwave Listening: Equipment
http://www.radioenthusiast.com/sw_equip.htm
* Where To Start * Buying a Radio * Where To Get Radio Equipment
- - - Presented by "The Radio Enthusiast" (James Tedford)

The DX Press – Radio News Sources for the SWL
http://www.radiointel.com/press.htm
Presented by RadioIntel.Com

The AMANDX WebPages - Presented by Shawn Axelrod
http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/index.html

~ RHF
..
..
= = = (BCcubed)

Old September 29th 03, 12:46 PM
Larry Ozarow

In addition to all the pages mentioned so far, Universal
Radio has an info site at www.dxing.com that has a lot
of information.

Old September 29th 03, 07:47 PM
CW

I don't know if you remember but when cell phones first started appearing on
the market, there was huge advertising campaigns to convince people they
needed one. Up that time, the majority of people valued their privacy and a
cell phone destroyed that. That was also when they started trying to
convince everyone that life was so hectic and busy that you never had time
to do anything.

..

I wonder... mike Shortwave 8 September 5th 03 04:38 AM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? Joe S. Shortwave 2 July 18th 03 04:50 AM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? Dxing Since 1957 Shortwave 0 July 4th 03 05:37 PM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? LLOYD DAVIES N0VFP General 0 July 4th 03 04:21 PM