Old October 1st 03, 07:22 PM
J Plimmer

Default MW DXpedition in S. Africa

Anyone interested in MW can request my DXpedition results from

Some long distance low power stations logged

John Plimmer
Montagu, Western Cape Province, Republic of South Africa

Old October 2nd 03, 04:01 PM
J999w

Post your logs here ... we'll read them.

jw
wb9uai
Old October 2nd 03, 05:39 PM
Diverd4777

Hi John:

Please post them here;
it'd be fun to see what we can pick up
from Other parts of the world.

Dan

Old October 2nd 03, 07:41 PM
J Plimmer

The QTH for the DXpedition was a beach cottage overlooking the Atlantic
Ocean at Swartriet, location S 32d 56m 943, E 17d 53m 226 or eight
kilometers NW of the port of Saldanha and 120 kilometers North of the city
of Cape Town.
RX Drake R8B, antenna Kiwa MW loop and Datong AD 370 for tropical band.
The Kiwa was mainly orientated on a bearing of 310 degrees to N. America
The main purpose of the DXpedition was MW stations from N. America.

Khz UTC Date Lan Station
Town Count KW Dist/km Notes
1548 2220 030919 EE Capital Radio London
UK 97
1620 0313 030920 EE WDHP, Fredericksted, St. Croix.
US Virgin Isl. 1 10,430 Swinging Caribbean music. 0400
BBC relay NX + sport
1610 0330 030920 EE AIA Caribbean Beacon
50 gospel
1570 0354 030920 PP R. Cidade Aparecida
do Toboado Brz 1/4 Mato Grosso
1520 0400 030920 PP R. Cristal
Cristalandia Brz 1/4 7,244 Tocantins prov.
"musica, noticias"
1540 0447 030920 PP R. Santa Maria Monteiro
Brz 1/2 Pairaba prov.
1660 0157 030921 SS WWRU Carlstadt,
NJ USA 1 12,490 "Noticias" in SS
670 0325 030921 PP R. Sao Francisco Anapolis
Brz 1 Goias prov.
1510 0400 030921 EE WWZN Boston, MA
USA 50
1700 0427 030921 EE WEUV
Huntsville, ALA USA 1 13,230
1520 2358 030921 PP R. Clube Itauna,
Minas Gerais Brz 1/4
1480 0032 030922 PP R Clube
Altinopolis, SP Brz 1/4 6,510
1540 0130 030922 EE R. Bahamas Nassau
Bah 50 11,960 Religious program
780 0348 030922 PP R Jornal do Comercio Recife
Brz 10
800 0354 030922 EE TWR Bonaire
500/50 Gospel
820 0415 030922 EE R. Paradise (not ID) St. Kitts
50 Afro-American giving gospel talk

NOTES
# 1570 R. Cidade - there are two of them, the other one is in Corinto. I
have no way of knowing which of the two stations it was, as they are both
identical in power with the same station ID. I have guessed it is Aparecida,
as Corinto lies near high mountains which I think would block the signal to
the South East.

# R. Cristal is quite remarkable (for such low power) in that it lies inland
about 1000 kilometers and is separated from the sea by some high mountain
ranges.

#Brazil was coming in very strongly and unfortunately was blocking more
reception from N. America. For those that DX the low power Brazilians, you
will know that the smaller stations can go on for literally hours without a
station ID, so I skipped over many that did not look like giving an ID.

# A question for serious DXer's is whether Brazilian stations actually power
down to their lower nightime output. If they do, then some of the above
catches are quite good. i.e.250 watts

# The task of identifying these stations reliably could not have been done
without the comprehensive data supplied by WRTH 2003 and a good friend in
the USA

# For those that have not used a MW loop for long distance DX will gain the
impression of razor sharp nulls, when, then, miraculously, your sought after
station will appear out of the mud. The reality is far less than this. Feint
far off signals come in on an arc of 90 degrees or more (not razor sharp at
all!), and the nulling of other not so strong stations to get yours is going
to nullify your target DX as well. That said, the loop is a very powerful
antenna and in my experience equals my 300 meter (1000 foot) beveridge long
wires. The beauty of the loop is that the number of places you can find
today on this crowded earth to string out 300 meters of wire in ideal DX
locations is severely limited, so the MW loops, such as the excellent Kiwa,
are a very viable and good alternative.

# First light was 0400 utc and sunrise at 0500 utc

# Propogation as per DXLC.com - Solar flux 115, A index 22, sunspot 65

John Plimmer
Montagu, Western Cape Province, Republic of South Africa
GPS South 33 47 East 20 07
Ant RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Kiwa MW Loop, Datong AD-370.
RX Drake R8B, Drake SW8
Eddystone 940, Hallicrafters SX-100
GE SRIII, 7600D, Sangean 818 & 803A,
Braun T1000, BW XCR-30