Old October 6th 03, 02:04 AM
Diverd4777

Default Caribbean Stations Recevable in N.E ??

Hi All:

Interested in what A.M. Caribbean stations are receivable here in the Northeast

Any information is appreciated..

Dan / NYC
Old October 6th 03, 07:18 AM
maryanne kehoe

A lot of the MW Cubans are audible. I've heard 610 and 1180 R. Rebelde
at my Michigan house.

530 is Mexican station (call sgn?), 540 a Carribean. Anyone know if the
old 800AM TWR freq. is being used by anyone?

Old October 6th 03, 01:08 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

maryanne kehoe wrote:
A lot of the MW Cubans are audible. I've heard 610 and 1180 R. Rebelde
at my Michigan house.

530 is Mexican station (call sgn?), 540 a Carribean. Anyone know if the
old 800AM TWR freq. is being used by anyone?

TWR is still using 800. However, they've reduced power to 100kw and
(more important) gone to a directional antenna favoring South America.

530 is actually in the Turks and Caicos Islands, off the east end of the
Bahamas chain. It's a religious station, and relays 1330 in NYC. (so
if the original poster hears a Spanish-language station on 530, he can
compare programming with his local and if they match, he's got the T&C
station.) 530 is indeed easily heard throughout the East.

(I'm trying to remember whether it's actually *on* 530. This station
has tried a number of frequencies in that general vicinity - 530, 532,
535, maybe even 531 for awhile?)

Yes, Cubans are present on a wide variety of frequencies.

1620 in the U.S. Virgin Islands has been widely heard. It's by far the
easiest English-language Caribbean station to hear. If you hear any
kind of music on 1620, stick with it. This station carries several
types of music (like country!) that you wouldn't expect to hear on a
Caribbean station.

810 and 1540 in the Bahamas have both made appearances here. They'll
probably be pretty tough in NYC though, due to the Albany-area stations
on both frequencies.

It's not really technically the Caribbean, but 1160 on Bermuda is
occasionally reported on the East Coast.

Of course, don't be fooled by foreign-language domestics. For example,
the dominant signal on 1540 around here is a Spanish-language station --
transmitting from Canada...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old October 6th 03, 01:54 PM
Tony Meloche

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

Of course, don't be fooled by foreign-language domestics. For example,
the dominant signal on 1540 around here is a Spanish-language station --
transmitting from Canada...

I was heavy into SWDX in the sixties and seventies, then "life got in
the way" and I've just been heavy back into it the last few years. One
of the biggest differences I notice from then to now is the number of
foreign service broadcasts from a wide variety of countries that come
from transmitters
very close to us here. When I first started back, I spent two hours one
afternoon enjoying the music, and marveling at how clear the signal was
from Voice of Greece. Two days later, I found out the transmitter on
that day, at that time UTC, was in Eastern Canada! Speaking just for
myself, I usually only log a catch if it is originating from the home
country, or their main transmitter. Best as memory serves, back in
those "olde tyme" days when I started, if you heard "Radio
Goombatzowitz", the transmitter was in Goombatzowitz, period. Got
"burned" several times in my early return days a few years ago until I
caught on to the "relay transmitter" thing!

Tony

Old October 6th 03, 09:09 PM
RedOctober90

I have picked up several Cuban "Rejoi" stations which are simply news
stations with "time checks" on the minute. One on 570, and 950... and
I recall when I played back a VCR tape of Coast to Coast AM I had
recorded off of WAEB 790, a station near me.... I noted another Cuban
station coming in over it... must of been like 3 in the morning.

"Kent" wrote in message ...
Isn't there a strong station on 1020 in the Caribbean as well?

"Richard Cranium" wrote in message
om...
(maryanne kehoe) wrote in message

A lot of the MW Cubans are audible. I've heard 610 and 1180 R. Rebelde
at my Michigan house.

530 is Mexican station (call sgn?), 540 a Carribean. Anyone know if the
old 800AM TWR freq. is being used by anyone?

Ummmm; 530 is the religious station in the Carribean (programed from
NYC), and 540 is XEWA from Mexico. I used to hear the Carribean Beacon
on 1610, but they seem to have gotten buried lately.

Allegedly, TWR 800 is still in use but only with 50kW. And maybe
directional to the South now?

Old October 6th 03, 10:35 PM
Diverd4777

Thanks Maryanne
will check this out..
Had a chance to travel in the Caribbean at one point;

Do remember sitting on a screened in terrace listening to The bahamian AM
station
going over who had passed away and then a 5 minute recitation of all his
relatives
( Large extended family !)
- Also in St Martins, staying at Grand Case Beach Club ( Garden side)
watchin the sun set over Goat Island & listening to the local station where
someone was asking School children about " The Internet". which had just been
hooked up in their schools.

- So Maybe I can listen in from up here !

Dan

! In article ,